HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-25-2014, 11:16 PM   #1
greatinspirational

Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Default Project U/SA- With no money, no knowledge and SLOW

Project U/SA - I have no money, no knowledge and I'm 4 seconds off the index !!

Lol - hope that intro caught some attention because I need all the help I can get. I have a 93 chevy caprice classic wagon with a 305 that I'm trying to get to the NHRA U/SA index with. This will be a fun and unorthodox project because I want to still keep it streetable for a bit because I may end up using it as a tow car later. Needless to say with that strategy in mind I'm going to have to utilize every trick in the book. and considering that I'm dirt broke , totally green to this and 4 seconds off the index I have ALOT of work cut out for me. I bracket raced it this weekend and got a best of 18.59 deep staged - Only 4 seconds to go ! First question I wanted to ask is in regards to the computer chips in the 93 caprice 305 wagon. What is the absolute best route to go computer chip wise for this car ? Any part numbers would be greatly appreciated or am I better off programming myself ? I want to start with a chip and removing 247 pounds from the car.
greatinspirational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
alejan1975

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Project U/SA- With no money, no knowledge and SLOW

any mods at all? or bone stock?

when you say "no money" do you have a limited budget to work with?

post up some pics!
Old 08-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

I 'd hate to see you spend any money on that project that you don't have. I don't believe it will work out satisfactorily for you.
You don't say where you're from, but if anywhere near any IHRA tracks, I'd suggest making the car into a 94, and run Pure Stock with it, as an LT1.
Dan Fahey here knows those cars, and I'm sure he'll tell you all about it.
Tom Reese in Cincinnati runs a 305 TBI in Stock. I don't think he's run real far under with it. You need a damn good soft combo to do what you want to do, and this ain't it.
IMO
Old 08-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
greatinspirational

I ran it absolutely bone stock. I thought it would be fun to see just how slow it is and watch the changes I make progressively knock ET off. I have some limited funds - I wanted to pick away at all the small stuff first. My first area of concentration was identifying what the best chip would be to purchase for the car or if I'm better off programming it myself
Old 08-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
greatinspirational

Thanks for the reply Mark. The LT1 option was also something I wanted to explore down the road. I have a ton of ET to chew off which I guess is a lost cause without throwing money around
Old 08-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

HELLO Project USA
Consider the 1994/96 Caprice Wagon for H/PS with the LT1. Lot of good stuff out there to run well under the index. Plus a large B-Body community to help you get there.

I am getting my 1994 Caprice Wagon fixed up again after my daughter smashed the right doors into a bank wall corner. Was planning on making it my tow car and have been upgrading it fseveral years.

Considering selling it because of the maintenance of driving it daily. Not from wear and tear but someone smashing in to it and getting body parts. It was tough finding unbent doors for it.

Key advantage are the B-body Wagons have a Boxed Frame and can be lighted to run G/PS.

Corbitt Marshburn had a nice Black one that ran in the high 12.80's lots of low 13's on a normal day in G/PS.
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
James Packer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Don't think this car is a very good candidate for stock, the 305 TBI combo at 4200 lbs is a dud and the LT1 factored to 299 in N/SA would run at 4335 lbs and a 13.00 index. I not sure what size of rear tire would fit in the skirted wheel well. IHRA pure stock may be the better choice.

Jet or Hypertech may make chips for this but are a waste of money, overall drive ability may improve but dragstrip performance gains very little. Make sure you have a clean fuel filter and 12-13 psi fuel pressure and increase the ignition timing at least 4 degrees btdc (stock is 0) will get you close to the same results.

If you do any major engine mods (such as in NHRA stock class) you will need a custom chip.

Last edited by James Packer; 08-26-2014 at 07:49 PM.
James Packer is offline   Reply With Quote