HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
Racin Mason

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Cat 330hp C7 diesel able to tow a stacker?

I have a 2004 Fleetwood Discovery I use to tow a 26' enclosed trailer. It makes enough power to move the 40,000 lb RV with the 10,0000lb trailer behind it at a decent pace up hills. I am thinking of getting a stacker, but I'm not sure the 330 hp Cat with 860 ft lbs of torque motor is going to have the power to pull the weight of a fully loaded stacker with multiple cars and all the spare parts in it. I am guessing it will be close to 20,000 lbs for a 30'-34' stacker with two door cars, golf cart, tools, etc. Does that sound about right?

Does anyone have any experience towing this much weight with this engine?

Has anyone tried any of the performance chips or exhaust systems and found them to increase power or economy significantly?

I hate to have to buy a new RV just to upgrade the trailer. Thanks for any input.
Racin Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
Jim Grande

Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Cat 330hp C7 diesel able to tow a stacker?

I am doing exactly what you describe. 2001 Dutch Star with 330hp Cat towing a 30' stacker that weighs right at 20,000 lbs. loaded. With no wind on level road it will do 70mph. Add a head/crosswind and it's down to 62mph. Add a nice hill and it's down to 50-55 mph. Plan on traveling much slower than you do with the single car trailer.
I tried an Edge power module which was supposed to add 40hp and it was no help.
Jim Grande is offline   Reply With Quote