HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 04-20-2020, 04:45 PM   #1
63corvette

Liked 279 Times in 87 Posts
Default Oil Closed Today in Negative Numbers

The oil patch in my part of the country is really hurting now.
Mostly small independent producers in the Texas Panhandle.
There will be many producers who will not survive this setback.
I grew up in the oil patch and have worked in the energy industry all my life until retirement and have never seen anything like this.
I remember oil at less than $10 a barrel for many years and I have purchased gas for my car for less than 10 cents per gallon for premium when in college in the 1960's. I was working at the Conoco refinery in Ponca City OK and I could get all the oil and grease products from the loading dock for free. I could just drive up and they would load what I wanted. I had a good stockpile of engine oil back then.
The oil industry has always been on a boom and bust cycle of 10 to 15 years it always would happen but nothing like this.
This is uncharted territory for a major industry and I worry more about a depression today more than ever.
Worry about going racing now is not a priority for many in the part of the country I live in today.
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:24 PM   #2
Randy Wells

Liked 963 Times in 297 Posts
Default Re: Oil Closed Today in Negative Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63corvette View Post
The oil patch in my part of the country is really hurting now.
Mostly small independent producers in the Texas Panhandle.
There will be many producers who will not survive this setback.
I grew up in the oil patch and have worked in the energy industry all my life until retirement and have never seen anything like this.
I remember oil at less than $10 a barrel for many years and I have purchased gas for my car for less than 10 cents per gallon for premium when in college in the 1960's. I was working at the Conoco refinery in Ponca City OK and I could get all the oil and grease products from the loading dock for free. I could just drive up and they would load what I wanted. I had a good stockpile of engine oil back then.
The oil industry has always been on a boom and bust cycle of 10 to 15 years it always would happen but nothing like this.
This is uncharted territory for a major industry and I worry more about a depression today more than ever.
Worry about going racing now is not a priority for many in the part of the country I live in today.
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX
Rick,

Like you the oil patch has been my life for 45 years, started in 1974 on the Trans Alaska Pipeline 18 years old. I have survived the ups and downs but not sure about this one, just returned to work in North Dakota, was in a meeting today and my project is still being funded, that was 9:00 am this morning now I am not sure. I work for an oil company out of Norway, they do have deep pockets but with no storage capacity your going to see a lot of wells shut in, the problem with that is when they our shut in to long they wax up because of the Parraffin. So when and if demand ever comes back these wells our done unless you bring in work over rigs and spend a lot of money to bring these wells back on line, oil will be back to $100 a barrel. Myself I was going to retire last year, it is looking like a good time now, just feel for all the workers that will loose good paying jobs, not good for the comeback.

Last edited by Randy Wells; 04-20-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Randy Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:46 AM   #3
farmco r/sa

Liked 147 Times in 54 Posts
Unhappy Re: Oil Closed Today in Negative Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Wells View Post
Rick,

Like you the oil patch has been my life for 45 years, started in 1974 on the Trans Alaska Pipeline 18 years old. I have survived the ups and downs but not sure about this one, just returned to work in North Dakota, was in a meeting today and my project is still being funded, that was 9:00 am this morning now I am not sure. I work for an oil company out of Norway, they do have deep pockets but with no storage capacity your going to see a lot of wells shut in, the problem with that is when they our shut in to long they wax up because of the Parraffin. So when and if demand ever comes back these wells our done unless you bring in work over rigs and spend a lot of money to bring these wells back on line, oil will be back to $100 a barrel. Myself I was going to retire last year, it is looking like a good time now, just feel for all the workers that will loose good paying jobs, not good for the comeback.

Terrible news . Was shocked to see this yesterday. First time in history. There will be many victims and families hurt by this. Represents future orders. No American should be celebrating this. Hope and pray very will be very temporary.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #4
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,664 Times in 851 Posts
Default Re: Oil Closed Today in Negative Numbers

Been fortunate enough to have traveled extensively out west, much of it by motorcycle including along the Alaska Pipeline and on up to Prudoe Bay. The vast number of jobs impacted by this downturn is hard to grasp even with that so I’m sure those of you directly affected must be really knocked down. The “ripple” of all this must feel like a tidal wave to many, hope and pray the politicians make good choices over the coming weeks. Thankfully the “Green Plan” crowd in Congress don’t get a vote.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked