Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-09-2020, 07:41 AM   #11
jwsamuel

Liked 216 Times in 88 Posts
Default Re: Covid 19. Over reaction ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Moock View Post
RJ My wife has been taking Hydroxychloroquine for 20 years, with no problem, She has Rheumatoid Arthritis
People like your wife and people who have lupus are now facing shortages of the medication they need.

It is more than people taking drugs that probably don't work. This also affects others who need those drugs for other proven treatments.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:44 AM   #12
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

If there was one that did get the ok to open somewhere there would probably be parking issues if everyone else feels like I do at the moment lol! I would probably tow 16 hours in the blink of an eye right now for $500 purse!
Old 04-09-2020, 07:49 AM   #13
427FE

Liked 305 Times in 68 Posts

The NJ parks have closed because people are too stupid here and don't social distance. The sooner we will go back to normal life the sooner everyone does there part.

#1427 B/S
427FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-09-2020, 07:57 AM   #14
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Personally I thinks all of this is a gross over reaction. There are diseases all of the time that cause death. None are worth shutting down the economy. You cant believe anything that you hear from the Media of out of the politicians mouths. Some of the experts have indicated that all of these so called precautions that they are taking to "flatten The curve" are just going to prolong the inevitable. the weak, old and people with compromised health will have issues with this disease just as they have with other types of virus that as popped up in the past. Time to get back to life and work. Much longer and the economy will be in shambles. I doubt this would have happened if it wasn't an election year.
Just my .02
Old 04-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #15
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsamuel View Post
People like your wife and people who have lupus are now facing shortages of the medication they need.

It is more than people taking drugs that probably don't work. This also affects others who need those drugs for other proven treatments.
My son suffers from CNS Lupus and faces shortages for not only this but for immunotherapy drugs because of people grasping for straws in most cases. To some degree I fault doctors for prescribing drugs based on theory rather than proven therapeutic values. To a large degree the overuse of penicillin created more problems than solutions, guess we can’t learn from history. In the immortal words of Larry Morgan “you can’t fix stupid”.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:31 AM   #16
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 983 Times in 299 Posts

Maybe it is an over-reaction on the part of higher powers then us but, you look at it this way, if nothing was done and millions of people died from this thing, the thread would read “why are we not doing anything about Covid-19??”. It’s a tough position some people are in (I don’t agree with all political thought process sometimes especially in my home state of NJ but, we have ALOT of idiots living here...and they have come out in masses during the quarantine...lol) but, it’s like going to the track for a Divisional, you know it’s going to rain on Sunday...it’s 100% chance of rain on every channel you watch but, you still go knowing that Sunday is probably a wash. The director says ok we’re giving everyone a time run Saturday morning, setting the fields and then try to finish what we can that night. Maybe you get a round or two in but, you don’t get the race done. So now you have guys in the pits going “WTH did we need a time run this morning for, we could have finished this race today, this is BS, while you have others going, man I’m on kill with that time run this morning, that set me right up”. It’s not a win / win situation for anyone unless you wake up at the track on Sunday to no rain or it moved South or North overnight and missed the track leaving a window. Either way you have people pointing the finger at other people (the weather man, division directors, etc)

I’m sure NHRA and the Divisions were not thrilled about having to re-write and cancel events that they would have made $$$ on. I know I wasn’t thrilled about having to re-write my schedule for the .90 series but, you have to make sure people will be safe when we go back to racing. To go back to what James said about Divisonals, maybe not in D2 but, I know in D1 the tracks that have Alky Cars they try to promote crowds to help cover the cost they have to payout to the Alky fields. Like at New England, they make Saturday Night almost a thrill show with Jet Cars, Wheelstanders, Etc. Maple Grove came back last year with Jet Cars and Fireworks also and the crowds on the spectator side was about 1/2 to 3/5 full. I think other states that haven’t seen much of an outbreak go back to normal quicker then us but, the Northeast will be screwed for a couple of Months because of the mass casualties and the thought process that your state might be ok but, now your letting people in from NY, NJ, PA to come race who might be carrying this virus and not know it. Just think and this is scary to think...The US had 1,100 people die in a day from this virus...Maple Grove has 562 cars for the D1 race last year..take everyone of those drivers and one crew member and wipe them off in one day...not trying to be doom and gloom but, realistic —- that right there is scary!!
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:45 AM   #17
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
Personally I thinks all of this is a gross over reaction. There are diseases all of the time that cause death. None are worth shutting down the economy. You cant believe anything that you hear from the Media of out of the politicians mouths. Some of the experts have indicated that all of these so called precautions that they are taking to "flatten The curve" are just going to prolong the inevitable. the weak, old and people with compromised health will have issues with this disease just as they have with other types of virus that as popped up in the past. Time to get back to life and work. Much longer and the economy will be in shambles. I doubt this would have happened if it wasn't an election year.
Just my .02
You are always knocking the media. It's not perfect but it's our only hope of keeping up with the moment by moment events of the day. Covid 19 is much more potent than the seasonal flu and should not be downplayed. Without social/physical distancing we would see just how bad it could be. The hospitals are overwhelmed, emergency Army ships are brought into heavily infected areas and the Army Corp is building temporary emergency hospital units. Because of the efforts by our governors and the media giving factual information the disease may not be able to kill as many people and that's to their credit. But there is nothing overblown about Covid 19's ability to kill people.

I would love to be racing right now but there is no way in hell that I would risk the health of loved ones by potentially bringing this killer virus home. No way!
Old 04-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #18
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,587 Times in 1,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Noland View Post
You are always knocking the media. It's not perfect but it's our only hope of keeping up with the moment by moment events of the day. Covid 19 is much more potent than the seasonal flu and should not be downplayed. Without social/physical distancing we would see just how bad it could be. The hospitals are overwhelmed, emergency Army ships are brought into heavily infected areas and the Army Corp is building temporary emergency hospital units. Because of the efforts by our governors and the media giving factual information the disease may not be able to kill as many people and that's to their credit. But there is nothing overblown about Covid 19's ability to kill people.

I would love to be racing right now but there is no way in hell that I would risk the health of loved ones by potentially bringing this killer virus home. No way!
Behind you 110 % Bruce,...It’s not just about US...
MR DERBY CITY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:44 PM   #19
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,225 Times in 594 Posts

There is no answer to satisfy everyone. The thing that we must look at is keeping as many people from dying from this virus as possible. If that means more social distancing, then I am all for it.

Racing is on hold here in the Pacific Northwest until early May at the soonest. I would love to be at a track to visit with and help friends with their cars. I don't want to risk the possibility of spreading the virus.

Yes, I am bored at the present time. I talk with friends daily and they feel the same way, but are willing to wait for the situation to end.

By the way the death toll is over 7,000 in N.Y. at this time.

Last edited by Carguy49; 04-09-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Carguy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #20
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Noland View Post

Bruce I fully understand your concerns. Right now I am not really concerned about racing either. I am more concerned about the long term health of the economy. Just for example. My wife works for a restaurant company that has locations around the country. They had about 2000 employees before the virus shut down. now they have only 100 still working. All of the others were laid off. This is just one small example. In the first two weeks of the shut down the company lost 2 million in business. There is a good chance that they might not weather the storm. Multiply this by millions of small business and you have a major calamity in just the restaurant business. I work construction and we are considered essential so I have been working everyday as normal. hopefully that will continue. during the last downturn the company that I work for went from 70 superintendent down to 20. Hopefully this wont be as bad but has to turn around pretty quick or the damage will be real bad.