HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 05-18-2020, 05:49 PM   #1
drgrcr1156

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Piston Skirt Recoating

Anyone have a bad experience with Line2Line piston coating. Having a few cylinders with hi blow by after a rebuild with their piston skirt coating. Not sure what to expect during break in with their coating. And as their coating breaks in, you are basically adding powder coating particles to the oil.
drgrcr1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:50 PM   #2
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,453 Times in 541 Posts
Default Re: Piston Skirt Recoating

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgrcr1156 View Post
Anyone have a bad experience with Line2Line piston coating. Having a few cylinders with hi blow by after a rebuild with their piston skirt coating. Not sure what to expect during break in with their coating. And as their coating breaks in, you are basically adding powder coating particles to the oil.
It is not powder coating. The abrading coating imbeds in the piston skirt material and just wears out just like any other piston skirt coating. If you are having a blow-by issue, look at your rings and cylinder wall finish. Never had an issue with their coatings.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:41 PM   #3
drgrcr1156

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I am not saying there is anything wrong with the coating. I think it is a great process to overcome cylinder wear without having to bore the block. I am just trying to learn what to expect during break in. I do not want to pull it apart if it is not necessary. The engine has barely been run for 20 minutes over 3 days. Maybe the rings have not seated in 3 cylinders but will with more time it will. My biggest concern is the blue smoke coming from the vacuum pump breather. The other concern is running the engine up to full tilt while on jack stands as part of the coating break in procedure.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:49 PM   #4
Mike Graham

Liked 299 Times in 56 Posts

I did 3 engines last year with their coating. Two were fine. One had exactly that problem.
The coating stuck to the rings. The leakage would move every time we heat soaked the motor. I know it was the coating because it was a re ring. It didn't have the problem before the coating and didn't have the problem after the pistons were replaced.
Just my experience.
Mike Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:20 PM   #5
MAURICE BLENDHEIM

Liked 226 Times in 77 Posts

See questions in my next post.

Last edited by MAURICE BLENDHEIM; 05-22-2020 at 10:32 PM.
MAURICE BLENDHEIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:25 PM   #6
MAURICE BLENDHEIM

Liked 226 Times in 77 Posts

Guys... Just wondering what your final cylinder cleaning procedure was before assembly? What ring package and brand did you use? What bore finish? MB
MAURICE BLENDHEIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:55 PM   #7
Mike Graham

Liked 299 Times in 56 Posts

The particular engine that I had trouble with Had Total seal AP rings the first time and Ackerly and childs moly the second time. I have used both brands of rings many times with no issues. Hone on this guy was 820 . The only thing we changed was to have the pistons coated. The engine ran fine but was ready for re ring. Same hone same ring pack. The only thing changed was coated pistons. Engine ran good for about 10 passes then fell off a tenth. Everytime we would leak it leakage would change. Second rings were trashed. Re honed and re ringed.Same results. I have done more than a few stock and ss engines and never had a problem like this before or after. Like I said, the only thing that was changed was coating. I think the coating on this particular set of pistons was too soft and it sloughed off. I did 2 other builds with this coating without problems. I didn't see any gains,but it didn't trash the rings.
Mike Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:18 AM   #8
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 821 Times in 264 Posts

The coating thickness for some reason can be a problem. I've used Calico to coat piston skirts.They have three different thicknesses of coatings.If I use the extra thick coating I've had problems sometimes with it coming off.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:00 PM   #9
drgrcr1156

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

This rebuild included Total Seal Gapless rings with ultra-low tension oil rings. The fact that when I start it, there is immediate blue smoke coming from the vacuum pump breather tank, leads me to believe the rings have gummed up just as I have read here.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:58 PM   #10
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Graham View Post
The particular engine that I had trouble with Had Total seal AP rings the first time and Ackerly and childs moly the second time. I have used both brands of rings many times with no issues. Hone on this guy was 820 . The only thing we changed was to have the pistons coated. The engine ran fine but was ready for re ring. Same hone same ring pack. The only thing changed was coated pistons. Engine ran good for about 10 passes then fell off a tenth. Everytime we would leak it leakage would change. Second rings were trashed. Re honed and re ringed.Same results. I have done more than a few stock and ss engines and never had a problem like this before or after. Like I said, the only thing that was changed was coating. I think the coating on this particular set of pistons was too soft and it sloughed off. I did 2 other builds with this coating without problems. I didn't see any gains,but it didn't trash the rings.
Mike i would call Carl at poly dyn used his coating for years never had a problem. 2818946382
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote