HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 05-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #1
JRyan

Liked 101 Times in 27 Posts
Default No start issue Holley HP EFI

Ok I've been fighting a no start issue on our radial tire heads up car. I got the car out a few weeks ago had it running then decided to do a firmware update. Did that it said it was successful did a tps autoset and had no tach reading just read (0). Would crank but showed nothing. Messed around tried a few different things no luck. A friend of mine borrowed me his Holley ECM just to see if we had a ECM issue. Hooked that up downloaded his software to the laptop loaded my tune file. Now it was showing syncing on the tach and would flash a RPM reading usually in the 800+ range then say error then the sequence repeats itself. I have tried creating a new tune file with the same results along with trying a known working cam sensor and a working crank sensor. Thinking maybe we had a bad sensor. Still keeps showing the same pattern. Pulled the intake last night so I could get at the harness better so tonight or tomorrow can try to ohm the sensors and plugs along with going over the grounds. Would do a system log but I cannot get it to do that either whether I try it as an immediate or triggered using oil pressure. Still keeps ending up with no downloadable logs. I'm obviously missing something that is staring me in the face but can't seem to find it.

Rick Ryan
JRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:22 PM   #2
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 833 Times in 290 Posts
Default Re: No start issue Holley HP EFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRyan View Post
Ok I've been fighting a no start issue on our radial tire heads up car. I got the car out a few weeks ago had it running then decided to do a firmware update. Did that it said it was successful did a tps autoset and had no tach reading just read (0). Would crank but showed nothing. Messed around tried a few different things no luck. A friend of mine borrowed me his Holley ECM just to see if we had a ECM issue. Hooked that up downloaded his software to the laptop loaded my tune file. Now it was showing syncing on the tach and would flash a RPM reading usually in the 800+ range then say error then the sequence repeats itself. I have tried creating a new tune file with the same results along with trying a known working cam sensor and a working crank sensor. Thinking maybe we had a bad sensor. Still keeps showing the same pattern. Pulled the intake last night so I could get at the harness better so tonight or tomorrow can try to ohm the sensors and plugs along with going over the grounds. Would do a system log but I cannot get it to do that either whether I try it as an immediate or triggered using oil pressure. Still keeps ending up with no downloadable logs. I'm obviously missing something that is staring me in the face but can't seem to find it.

Rick Ryan
Hi Rick
You need to get a hold of Robin Lawrence. Just off hand I would put the program over in "no cam sensor" so as to be in bank to bank or something other than sequential. That will take a bad cam sensor out of the equation.And make sure somehow during the transfers your Crank Sensor in your Ignition Parameters did not get changed to the wrong values. I'm assuming your using one pulse one fire. The Holley uses the same ground circuit for several of the important sensors and if one (sensor) goes wacky it can cause all kinds of goofy problems.

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 05-22-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #3
JRyan

Thanks Jeff.
Yeah I did double check to make sure everything was still set up for 24x just to be certain. I'll double check grounds and ohm everything over the weekend. If nothing else I will try what you suggested and switch it over to a bank to bank and try it. If all else fails I'll see if I can get a hold of Robin somehow.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:39 AM   #4
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,729 Times in 418 Posts

I have had a similar problem on two occasions. Both times it was the starter going bad. It would turn over, but not quite fast enough to properly sync. Everything else checked good.

I found it the first time by disconnecting the injectors and removing the plugs. After that it would sync. perfectly.

I think Robin had it happen to him when he had my 2014 COPO.

No guarantee this is your issue, but worth a look.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:42 AM   #5
GUMP
VIP Member

Robin comes on here a good bit. I'll send him a text.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #6
JRyan

Hey I'm up for just about any suggestion at this point. I'll double check the grounds and make sure everything is clean then put it back together and give this a try. Worth a shot if nothing else to eliminate another variable. Thanks.

Rick
Old 05-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #7
JRyan

Well tried a new a starter and battery. It definitely cranks faster but same result
Old 05-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #8
GUMP
VIP Member

Do you have any add on devices plugged into your harness?
Old 05-25-2020, 01:11 PM   #9
JRyan

No sir. Nothing extra wired into the harness.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
GUMP
VIP Member

The only other thing that I have had happen was the crank signal wire getting pinched between the starter and the block.