HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing

Old 06-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
footbrakesbc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Bracket Racing Street Car

I have a 1991 Camaro that I drive everyday. I'm 16 and I want to do some bracket racing. First time doing so, but family has done it forever. I want to start out bracket racing then make the car a Stocker one day.
footbrakesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 380 Times in 180 Posts
Default Re: Bracket Racing Street Car

Always good to hear of new young blood interested in bracket/class racing.

Most tracks have a Trophy class and that is where you should start while learning the skills necessary to turn on win lights.

Good luck, have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions of seasoned sucessfull bracket racers online and in person.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
footbrakesbc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At my home drag strip they only have Mod (Footbrake) and Super Pro. The Mod class is as tough as the Super Pro Class. So I guess I'll learn the hard way.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 380 Times in 180 Posts

what's your home track?
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
footbrakesbc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fayetteville
Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Cdncarnut

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

I started Bracket Racing my 2000 Camaro SS last year.
With the help of my local performance shop, we added a set of wheels, Billet Specialties Street Lites, Mickey Thompson ET Streets and an Autometer Tach/Shift Light with a Launch and Record function.

I drive the 40 minutes to and from the track.
My gear includes a compressor, which plugs into the lighter, to change tire pressure, a very expensive tire pressure gauge and a Wal Mart sun shelter.

The first few times out, the race veterans just handed my butt to me.

Toward the end of the season, I was actually going rounds.
As I am the slowest car in the class, Modified, some of the cars are over 2 seconds faster than I am, and it kills them to wait at the tree for their light.

I even made if far enough to win money, $70, one race.
That did not even cover the cost of gas, admission or entry fee, as a day at the track costs me $100.

It was the most fun I have had in a car, ever!

This winter, I added a 2-Step, as it is difficult to focus on both the tree and the Launch Light at the same time, Line Lock to better dry off and heat the tires, and a new Shifter, as the stock Hurst had a difficult 2-3 shift.

Our race season starts this weekend.

All I can suggest is go to a couple of Test & Tunes first and then go out, race and have fun.

Thomas
Cdncarnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
brian schuetta

Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

To start out bracket racing a daily driver you need to get track time. Weekly bracket races and test and tune specials if they have them. Don't mess with the car at the track except tire pressure and then just to keep track of it and experiment with what works. Go to the line at normal operating temperature, like what the car runs driving around town. Leave at idle and leave it in drive, it will run what it runs. Double 0 lights are cool but aren't really needed to win consistently, you will see what your competitors cut for lights. The better their lights are against you the more respect they have for you. Keep track of the weather and write your runs with the weather included. Look at that info during the week and look for trends. Yeah I know there are weather stations and computers that will do that for you but you are learning right now. When in doubt take the finish line, don't give the stripe away make the other guy take it from you. After a year or season of just making runs, getting to know your car, cutting lights, and getting top end experience you will be able to answer a lot of your own questions. Keep it simple to start and take it to the next level of performance or complexity when you are ready to spend money.
brian schuetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #8
AJ Laferty

Liked 24 Times in 9 Posts

Don't know how far you are from Hertford, NC, but Northeast Dragway has a "street class." Usually 10-15 cars/trucks running on Saturdays. see their web page at www.northeastdragway.net .

Might be a little less intimidating than full mod class. I run there from time to time.

Jeff Laferty
Old 05-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #9
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

First, welcome my friend to the world of bracket racing. It is great to know that you, a 16 year old is starting. Now that the "nice" is out of the way, you are going to get your ***** handed to you until you learn the art of bracket racing. Don't get discouraged, the guys you're going up against in Mod/Footbrake/Non-Electronics have years of experience and I bet if you ask them, they will tell you about there early years of losing first round.
Make sure the car is consistent, don't try to make it faster between rounds, if the car runs dead on during time runs, for Gods sake, don't touch it!
Get comfortable in your car, know where the tree is at, stage the same each time. Hit Test and Tune nights, hit the tree hard, red lights on T&T doesn't send you home early, it means you are "finding" your spot on the tree with your car. Make sure tire pressure is set right on each run, T&T is perfect for testing tire pressure for reaction times.
If you lose first round, don't go home, watch the next round, watch all the rounds, watch what the other drivers do. Some will have there "tricks", some will play games, some will race you straight up, some like to stage last, some will be better in certain lanes, the more you know these tricks, the better a bracket racer you will be......but first you need to learn the basics of bracket racing, THEN you can learn the games.
Have FUN, learn, listen, don't be cocky just yet, my 4th race as a newbie I runnered-up, next 2 months I couldn't get past the second round to save my life.
rick lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Congratulation, do not try to overpower the track, remember that the Camaro's rear end is the weak link in your car. My best advice is to inform yourself as much about bracket racing, such as roll-out, deep staging for a street car is a must. Look up on Biondo electronic site you will find a wealth of information that you can use. Remember reaction time is a must, 60' time will help you see if you spun on the line. Learn on how to hold some number back or dial honest, two different way of racing. Also install a temperature gauge. When I ran my street Monte Carloss I would let it run all the time never shutting it off, this was when all these computer cars can cause your car to pick up two tenths when you shut it off. Nice to see you amongst the Bracketeers.lolClaude Ruel p.s. go on Jegs web site and photocopy the log book, this will help you tremendously.
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote