HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-30-2016, 02:13 PM   #31
jmantle

Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts
Default Re: What is the Most diverse class in stock eliminator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Ya know, I should probably make myself perfectly clear here. I personally believe that what NHRA did with the 302 FFFords, whether it was a mistake or not, was good for Stock Eliminator and the Sport. It brought a significant number of cars(and in some cases Racers) that wouldn't have been built into the game.
Billy, I fully agree with you on this point. It's too bad NHRA didn't go farther.
A customer of mine wanted to build a 304 AMC. 2 more cubic inches, same 1.08 carb, heavier rotating assembly, 180 HP. Told him to go and look for a 302 Ford.

Jim Mantle
jmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #32
Ron Ortiz

Liked 255 Times in 87 Posts

Whoa there Mr. Graham, to quote you. "So If it's not a cadillac or chevy truck it is bogus?? They go 2 sec under and they are heros."
I'm not just referring to the Caddy or Chevy P/U, I'm also talking about the Banana Olds from AL, the Buick "factory" car that McKay (rip) had, Senia's Cimmaron, Mercury Turbo. All of them could absolutely bomb the index.

Quote, "A Ford goes 1 sec under and it's the end of life as we know it."
As far as the Ford being a 1.0 under car, that's plain out right BS. I watched Gary Summers from behind let off so early and still run under 1.0 it was ridiculous.

If you read my post I stated it was miscalculated not bogus. But when a combo comes in from a faster class and immediately becomes #1 by a huge margin, that is an error. Is it soft, no, it is more like a pillow wrapped in Charmin.

Seeking out a good combo is fine with me, I did it many years ago myself. I commend you for working hard to get it faster. But I am not sympathetic to your defense. Must be nice to have so many options on carbs and trannys. I'll just try to avoid your Ford in the lanes at the races while having a frosty beverage with you.

I consider "bogus", the HP ratings when the new Cobra, COPO, and DP initially came out. NHRA did right by separating them.

Billy, whether it be meds, no meds, or hallucinogens, the picture is still clear.

Ron Ortiz
U/SA speaking of hallucinogens
Old 01-30-2016, 06:55 PM   #33
slowride80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Ya know, I should probably make myself perfectly clear here. I personally believe that what NHRA did with the 302 FFFords, whether it was a mistake or not, was good for Stock Eliminator and the Sport. It brought a significant number of cars(and in some cases Racers) that wouldn't have been built into the game.
I have another thread on here somewhere bringing up Mr. Clifford and what, if anything, he is going to do with the Sportsmen. A few months ago, Dwight Southerland, Mark Yacavone and I sent a letter to the NHRA about De-factoring an awful lot of the 70s and 80s cars that were just arbitrarily given unrealistic factors at the time that they were put in the guide. Kinda like the 302 FFFords. As far as I know, we've not received any kind of a response to it. But if a half-a-dozen 302s were built, wouldn't it be safe to say that some kind of equal response could be expected from other combos?
Seeing as Dwight wrote the letter, I'll leave it up to him as to whether he wants to post it but if Mr. Clifford is looking for a way to involve more young people in the sport, I think that this could be the best "entry level" way to go.
I also realize that this probably doesn't belong in this thread but my finger is too tired to start a new thread now.
i know they need to look at the hp on 1980 305s also.. i have a fortune in mine and can not qualify any mello yellow events cause i cant run the numbers.. really hurt me when they reset the indexs back in 2009, 10, 11 whenever it was..i took a 4 year break cause of it
Old 01-31-2016, 08:21 AM   #34
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Class diversity is neat in a way but follow this post and see how all the guys subject to it respond once their "diverse combo" becomes #3 or 4 fastest by a "more diverse" combo. They all deserve major credit for their choice of combo and hard work. I know their frustration at being outshined by the new kidwith the newer combo. Such is the defect of using perceived HP. Always subject to new " decision" of HP not reality of HP.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:45 AM   #35
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,809 Times in 1,526 Posts

Dick, coming from a "Junior Stock" background, I'm surprised that you can't get your head wrapped around the allure of the, let's call them the non-rollbar classes.
They're the closest thing to "Junior Stock" we're ever going to have and from the looks of it's popularity, 45 years after NHRA put it to rest, I'd say that it was(is) the most popular eliminator that there ever was.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:55 AM   #36
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Dick, coming from a "Junior Stock" background, I'm surprised that you can't get your head wrapped around the allure of the, let's call them the non-rollbar classes.
They're the closest thing to "Junior Stock" we're ever going to have and from the looks of it's popularity, 45 years after NHRA put it to rest, I'd say that it was(is) the most popular eliminator that there ever was.
Yes non roll bard classes...
Like Pure Stock. 😀
Well most of them!
D
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:14 AM   #37
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Billy, sorry The Jr. Stock era was lucky because there were a limited number of motors to factor, limited parts, and lots of competitiveness to WIN class, Run fast, Set records. Very few guys ran 1000 feet to save their car hp rating. Major problems of dial in due to running off records but....
If picking a HP today to take advantage of these classes is peoples thing, so be it.
Next year the "new Kid"(302), Cadillac, Vega Cosworth or Turbo Sunbird will make many feel second class again even though they worked hard to run their favorite. Too many possible combinations out there to predict and NHRA just might MAKE a new one.
Show me a one combo class in stock that cannot be killed by an outsider and I would be interested in Jr. Stock again.

Last edited by Dick Butler; 01-31-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:46 AM   #38
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,809 Times in 1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Butler View Post
Billy, sorry The Jr. Stock era was lucky because there were a limited number of motors to factor, limited parts, and lots of competitiveness to WIN class, Run fast, Set records. Very few guys ran 1000 feet to save their car hp rating. Major problems of dial in due to running off records but....
If picking a HP today to take advantage of these classes is peoples thing, so be it.
Next year the "new Kid"(302), Cadillac, Vega Cosworth or Turbo Sunbird will make many feel second class again even though they worked hard to run their favorite. Too many possible combinations out there to predict and NHRA just might MAKE a new one.
Show me a one combo class in stock that cannot be killed by an outsider and I would be interested in Jr. Stock again.
Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible! Frank Zappa

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:59 AM   #39
jimmyparker

Liked 225 Times in 71 Posts

Cosworth Vega, I don't of anyone ever running this combo but Jim Cassels was playing with his nearly stock Cosworth at SGMP Saturday looking for the V/S IHRA index.

Billy, give me a call one evening this week if you have time, 706-577-4272.

Thanks
jimmyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #40
Ellis V Buth

Liked 291 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
V and W aren't as "diverse" as U.
I agree completely Billy! Just some people were saying stuff like "all the lower classes N to U" or "N to V" which I took to mean that's where the classes cut off in general.

In NHRA, W is not diverse really...the cars are unique but the engine is almost always the 2.3 (140 CI) FORD except for a couple of guys running the 2.0. I haven't checked the stats in a couple of years to see if those guys are still running the 2000 or not.

I've always wanted to build a "U" car because of the diversity and competitiveness of the class. Maybe one day!
Ellis V Buth is offline   Reply With Quote