HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #151
Dave Muller

Liked 221 Times in 71 Posts
Default Re: '66 Malibu N/SA

Things are still going slowly, and the heat hangs in there. Last weekend was a wedding in Buffalo, NY. There will be two more cross-country trips in the next couple of months plus the Summit Division Finals taking a chunk of time. But inch by inch I keep moving forward.

This weekend I got the valvetrain completed other than adjustments. It's getting time to see about the shifter and getting a driveshaft made. Might have gotten more done but my bracket car insists that I pay attention to it.

Last edited by Dave Muller; 07-08-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Dave Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:08 PM   #152
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Are you going to use a sway bar out back Dave? I have a Spohn atm, but may be swapping it out for one of these... http://www.hrpartsandstuff.com/ (#1451)
Old 08-20-2016, 08:19 PM   #153
Dave Muller

I got a good deal on a used HR Parts bar a while back. It's on the car now, and I'm very glad that it is!
Old 08-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #154
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

David, I've got a solid lifter down there somewhere to double check the lift with, when I get back down there. If not , Tibor's got one I'm sure.
Might want to just set the intake back in place for a few more months.

Looks like it's set up to run the PCV out the back..That's fine too.

Last edited by Mark Yacavone; 08-20-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Mark Yacavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:47 PM   #155
Dave Muller

I have a solid lifter or two for just that purpose also. I do plan on checking it later.

At first I was a little baffled by that setup in the back of the lifter valley, I guess I never ran a small block that was quite that old. But that's what I was figuring, put the PCV back there.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:29 AM   #156
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Looks like it's set up to run the PCV out the back..That's fine too.

Or a road draft tube. . .
Old 08-21-2016, 10:45 AM   #157
Woodfin

Liked 70 Times in 38 Posts

a note of trivia about PCV & road draft tubes.

Through the 1962 models Chevrolet had a "road draft tube" for crankcase ventilation. It was a long tube about 1" in diameter connected at the opening you see at the rear of the block, it routed downward slightly below the bottom of the oil pan. It was cut at an angle and in theory "road draft air pull air through the crankcase" Again, in theory, air entered through the front breather and exited the draft tube.

Under some ideal condition with a well sealed engine it may have done so. Mostly, smoke and oil exited both breather and tube And as miles and sludge accumulated that breather/baffle in your photo would become plugged with sludge. Then the only crankcase vent was the front push on breather.

Beginning with the 1963 models the famous/infamous PVC emerged. At the rear block opening formally attaching the draft tube, Chevy installed a small adapter with a 3/8" hose nipple. The PVC valve was in-line of a length of of 3/8" fuel hose that terminated at a fitting in rear of the carb.

Thus, "positive crankcase ventilation" PCV

About this same timeline all other manufactures changed from draft tubes to PCV

Another piece of trivia, California was ahead of the curve. Some years before 1963 that state began retrofitting PCV systems to older cars.

If you happen to remember the old Popular Hot Rodding magazine Project X It was a 1957 Chevy, in some of the original photos of the car before the magazine began any work there is a photo of the un-touched, original engine. The photo shows a California retrofitted PVC system.

That concludes today's trivia lecture
Woodfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #158
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodfin View Post
a note of trivia about PCV & road draft tubes.

Through the 1962 models Chevrolet had a "road draft tube" for crankcase ventilation. It was a long tube about 1" in diameter connected at the opening you see at the rear of the block, it routed downward slightly below the bottom of the oil pan. It was cut at an angle and in theory "road draft air pull air through the crankcase" Again, in theory, air entered through the front breather and exited the draft tube.

Under some ideal condition with a well sealed engine it may have done so. Mostly, smoke and oil exited both breather and tube And as miles and sludge accumulated that breather/baffle in your photo would become plugged with sludge. Then the only crankcase vent was the front push on breather.

Beginning with the 1963 models the famous/infamous PVC emerged. At the rear block opening formally attaching the draft tube, Chevy installed a small adapter with a 3/8" hose nipple. The PVC valve was in-line of a length of of 3/8" fuel hose that terminated at a fitting in rear of the carb.

Thus, "positive crankcase ventilation" PCV

About this same timeline all other manufactures changed from draft tubes to PCV

Another piece of trivia, California was ahead of the curve. Some years before 1963 that state began retrofitting PCV systems to older cars.

If you happen to remember the old Popular Hot Rodding magazine Project X It was a 1957 Chevy, in some of the original photos of the car before the magazine began any work there is a photo of the un-touched, original engine. The photo shows a California retrofitted PVC system.

That concludes today's trivia lecture
True enough.
I had a 61 Imp HT from Cal. , with a PCV valve that appeared to be original, and the supposedly lighter one piece bumpers
Old 08-21-2016, 04:59 PM   #159
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts

In 1965, I drove my 1962 Corvette from Brooklyn, NY to the San Francisco Bay area of California because a job relocation......

When I went to register my car in California I had to install aftermarket AC brand CV & KV kits....

It was a replacement for the road draft tube and a plate for under the carb for a vacuum source.....

Still have the car and I might still have the kits...

Bob
Old 08-21-2016, 06:50 PM   #160
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: '66 Malibu N/SA

That round canister looking thing in the rear of the lifter valley is a baffle to prevent engine oil from exiting the engine through the draft tube.It used to plug itself solid with sludge. Any time I built a stocker motor using a small journal 327 block,I put a brass freeze plug in the hole at the top of the block behind the intake,dispensing with the baffle altogether. It would have been in the way of the valley tray anyhow. I use later valve covers with PCV grommets in them, and use a dual PCV valve system,using the OEM vacuum fitting on the carb base. I use a screw on oil filler cap,non-vented. This depressurizes the inside of the engine and helps in both ring seal,and eliminating any oil misting or leakage. They do stay dry this way. The PCV first came out in 1961 on California cars, 1963 nationwide. PCV was great to keep condensation out of the oil, and blowby fumes out of the air.Pulling the vacuum out of the valve covers seems to be a better way to circulate air through the top of the engine.

Last edited by Greg Reimer 7376; 08-21-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote