Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #41
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Default Re: Super Stock Production ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Racer View Post
Back in the 80's my brother David Jackson held the IHRA SS/2JA record for many years with a 1958 Chevy Wagon. The car was a 283 (292ci) with a 650 holley 2bbl. The carb had been reworked by TRC (I think out of Ga). The carb would flow 730 or 780 and was as quick on the 283 as a 4bbl and would turn 10.500rpm with no problem. They were not required to run any type of restrictor plate and the hot tip was a 2bbl adapter made by Braswell that was several inches tall and matched to the Holley strip dominator intake. They also made small velocity stacks for the 2bbl. The index was pretty soft on the combo and David would always qualify well if not #1. The carb was legal and was checked many times by Robert Leonard when he was the tech man. IHRA had a plexiglas guage that Robert used to check the venturi size. The 650 holley did not have any boosters in the venturi and had discharge holes drilled arount the top of the venturis, it also had a 50cc accelerator pump. It looked like a garden sprinkler when you would work the throttle linkage by hand lol. Don Jackson
Those types of carbs are one reason they came out with the restrictor plate rule.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #42
mike withers

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I remember when ihra ran a qualified 32 car super stock field and they tore all of us down at just about every national event. At one race, rockingham I believe the tear down barn h contained Donnie Moore's Mustang, Bob Marshalls Hemi, "Hemi" adkins AMX and my AMX and 28 chevys. Guess which cars got torn down last?

production superstockers were seperate
Old 02-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #43
NORMAN BARNARD

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

those carb's with the annular rings we holley 6425 and rare......
NORMAN BARNARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #44
Bench Racer

Liked 99 Times in 21 Posts

That old 58 wagon was so ugly it looked good! Still one of my favorite SS cars! I left a lot of DNA on the underside of the car pulling transmissions and convertors when times were more fun. The suspension was last updated by Quain Stott (pro mod racer) in the 80's before David sold the car. The last time I saw the car it had been turned into a plexiglas/ fiberglass/ nitrous 600+ inch bracket racer, and I felt like someone had raped my sister! Back then he hauled on an open trailer and it was an attention getter every where we stopped. People could not believe a 2bbl would run that fast! A good 2bbl production superstocker will make torque like an animal. Don't knock the class, It is pretty much bracket racing anyway with an index. If you cant cut a light and run the stripe stick to setting a record in a NHRA class where you don't have any competition. Don Jackson
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote