HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Greg Gay

Liked 218 Times in 48 Posts
Default NHRA and the Olympics

When the Olympics began, its purpose was to provide a forum for athletes around the world to compete and determine who was the best in a myriad of different competitions. The judges of the Olympics did not view the winner in Wrestling any different than the winner in Archery. Each Athlete competed to be the best in the category that he entered. The pinnacle of each was just as important as another.

When the NHRA began, a small group led by Wally Parks set out to provide a safe and legal forum for auto enthusiasts to test the performance potential of their vehicles. It was soon apparent that differences in the levels of modifications of vehicles could result in great differences in vehicle performance. For example, some racers liked a wide open set of rules, where they were free to be creative in their performance endeavors. Other individuals were more happy to work within a confined set of rules, where attention to detail resulted in the most performance.

Television came to the Olympics as a means of showcasing the best athletes the world had to offer. However, the Wide World of Sports and the ESPN’s of the world soon realized that they attracted more viewership to wrestling than they did archery. More and more television time was devoted to the categories that turned on the most televisions, and eventually many of the categories were dropped from coverage entirely.

When business managers began to replace the original founders of NHRA, they began to focus less and less on the racers, and more and more on the spectators. And then television came to drag racing, and again the focus became which categories could turn on the most televisions.

When I was in college, I day dreamed of racing at NHRA national events. At that time, I calculated the payday from winning a national event for everything from a fantasy Top Fueler to a fantasy Stocker. Though I don’t remember the actual numbers, I realized that, with contingency, the fantasy Stocker could take home 67% of the payout of the fantasy Top Fuel car. This was for a car that required no crew, and an engine and driveline that should last at least 2 seasons. My direction in drag racing was pretty much decided at that time.

Today, the Stock winner can make only 22% of the Top Fuel winner. The Stock winner does not get shown on television, even though every round of Top Fuel is shown on television. Wally Parks saw this coming, and made a last ditch attempt to stop it, when he came up with his plan on NHRA being run as a true non-profit association, and NHRA Pro Drag Racing being sold as a separate for-profit corporation. If he had succeeded, the fate of sportsman drag racing would have been secured for a long time into the future. Instead, the moneymen realized that they could wait old Wally out, and that’s exactly what they did. I don’t think most of us realize how much we lost when Wally’s plan was scratched.

Now, I’ll be the first one to tell you that I didn’t get into drag racing for the money. If my intentions were to make money, this certainly would not be the route I would go. And, I am a business manager myself 5+ days a week, so I understand leading an organization on the path that makes the most money. But, to go from 67% to 22% is ridiculous. These guys have realized that the thing that brings us back time and time again is ego. An NHRA win is bigger than an IHRA win. A national event win is bigger than a division win. Win the race, and you get your picture in National Dragster for the whole country to see. They don’t have to pay you, as long as that picture gets published. Do you realize that until a couple of years ago, you could not hardly even find a picture of the winner of the Million Dollar Drag Race on the internet? I spent over an hour trying. And this person won almost as much as the combined purse of all 23 Stock winners over the course of a year!

I am as guilty as the next person for letting my ego dictate my racing. For all practical purposes, I know I could do as well financially bracket racing at my local track. But, as the entry fees continue to increase, and the purses continue to decrease, practicality is gaining on ego. Keep heading in this direction, NHRA, and one day, I will not be there.
Greg Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Lee Valentine

Liked 322 Times in 68 Posts
Thumbs down Re: NHRA and the Olympics

Well said Greg I believe alot of us have reached the point you mentioned
Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts
Default Re: NHRA and the Olympics

5-6 years ago we could qualify a car for a National meet and with our qualifying money pay for our entry fees/ most travel expenses/misc race expenses like gas-oil- tires/plugs & other small stuff now it costs us about $500 min maybe $750 just to go a coupla hundred miles down the road--we cut out National events other than one that is about 50 miles away and stay/eat at home no motels, just do Opens and Divisionals still have fun but not as often---what really gets me is I watched qualifying (Daytona 500) today and saw sponsor names/products on cars of companies that I know many guys(everything from T/F to PS as well as Sportsman cars too) have put proposals to and in no uncertain words were they interested in "anything" to do with racing/ motorsports of any kind, totally against it--- now maybe the Nascar guys are asking for a minimal amount of money maybe a one race deal and thats it but they are still getting money no matter how much and drag racing is not!!! I do not understand it do you???
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 778 Times in 175 Posts

Greg - Great stuff. I believe you echo the sentiments of many racers out there, including me.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Cool Re: NHRA and the Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
5-6 years ago we could qualify a car for a National meet and with our qualifying money pay for our entry fees/ most travel expenses/misc race expenses like gas-oil- tires/plugs & other small stuff now it costs us about $500 min maybe $750 just to go a coupla hundred miles down the road--we cut out National events other than one that is about 50 miles away and stay/eat at home no motels, just do Opens and Divisionals still have fun but not as often---what really gets me is I watched qualifying (Daytona 500) today and saw sponsor names/products on cars of companies that I know many guys(everything from T/F to PS as well as Sportsman cars too) have put proposals to and in no uncertain words were they interested in "anything" to do with racing/ motorsports of any kind, totally against it--- now maybe the Nascar guys are asking for a minimal amount of money maybe a one race deal and thats it but they are still getting money no matter how much and drag racing is not!!! I do not understand it do you???
One reason is the TV exposure time....the other reason is its ONE race...ONE winner. Not multi winners at each race. To many different eliminators, to many classes in each eliminator plus the handicap starts and breakouts = confusion to the non car guy TV viewer. Not all who watch are car people. They want entertainment. Who really won? Sure we like the class structure.....we are car people but to the large mass of people who watch and buy avertised products...they are confused when watching Top fuel whatevers and they very rarely get down the track side by side. The TV time never even bothers with the sportsman eliminators. HOW does one fix this?

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 02-14-2011 at 11:12 AM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

I was on TV four different episodes last year. (3 IHRA on SPEED, plus the K&N Spring Fling on Inside Drag Racing, Fox Sports Net.) Maybe you just need to look at different events.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Smile Re: NHRA and the Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
I was on TV four different episodes last year. (3 IHRA on SPEED, plus the K&N Spring Fling on Inside Drag Racing, Fox Sports Net.) Maybe you just need to look at different events.
And what time in the middle of the night did these shows air? LOL. I never saw one of them during "normal" hours. Congrats for being in the finals and getting your exposure.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #8
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

I'm not talking about being on TV personally I'm talking about the "other" 400+ racers at an event--Absolutely no human interest stories of any kind ---I guess Nascar is pretty much the same way too--Dale Jr/Gordon/Johnson--what about the guy that has maybe a million dollar sponsorship or whatever thats always running in 15-20 place how about him and his sponsors they too would like to have some TV time not just the people at that race or the people that see the transporter going down the hiway--I know ya cant please everybody but maybe just once try something a little different
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
Curmudgeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Right on X-Tech . As to FED's question,hood or quarter panel space is not cheap,even on a backmarker for one race deal at Daytona 500 . Car owner promises "eyeballs" with an impressive marketing package from NASCAR detailing exposure time in seconds on TVof your company name . They do one hell of a good job "marketing the brand". Ever notice how every race car on TV is a "Nascar". even if it doesn't compete in one of their divisions ?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
And what time in the middle of the night did these shows air? LOL. I never saw one of them during "normal" hours.
Palm Beach coverage aired on a Saturday at 7PM
Rockingham coverage aired on a Sunday at 4PM
All-Stars coverage aired on a Saturday at 6PM
K&N Spring Fling coverage aired on a Sunday at 11:30AM (also available on YouTube. You can view the first segment, which contains a closeup of the Volare in the pits (at :50 sec in the video) as well as one of the elimination runs (at 2:06 in the video) at http://www.bracketraces.com/)