HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Default I don't know

This came from NHRA.It was on Comp+ site.I don't know what to make of it.It seems like a nice tribute to past "Pro" winners of national events.How about past "Sportsman"
event winners?Don't they count?
It also says they'll have access to the "racer" grandstand section at the national events.I know that the ones I attend anybody has access to sit in this section.I don't think they ever
excluded anyone from sitting there.Just another free donut hole from our leaders in Glendora.

All professional national event winners to receive permanent hard card in 2011

NHRA announced today that all past national event winning drivers in the current professional categories, as well as Top Eliminator dating back to 1953 and Pro Stock Truck from 1998 to 2001, will be eligible for a permanent hard card credential for the 2011 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing season. The categories eligible include Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, Pro Stock Motorcycle, Pro Stock Truck, and Top Eliminator.

“In celebration of our 60th anniversary, it is only fitting that we welcome with open arms our past drivers who have been such a part of our history and have made NHRA what it is today,” said Tom Compton, president, NHRA.

The special hard card credential program is designed to honor the stars of the sport and encourage them to come out and partake in the 60th anniversary celebration throughout the 2011 season.

NHRA will be marking the 60th Anniversary of the formation of NHRA with a year-long celebration that will pay homage to the evolution of the hot rod, the impact of the sport’s legendary racers, and the lifeblood provided by the many millions of loyal and passionate NHRA fans.

The hard card credential program is designed for non-active participants in the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series. The permanent credential, which provides admission to the 22 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series events, will provide the holder access to the racer section of the grandstand and the sponsor viewing area typically located near the starting line of the race track.

Eligible drivers can apply for the NHRA National Event Winners Hard Card by sending an email to Laura Sarmiento at lsarmiento@nhra.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . Eligible drivers wanting to pick up their hard cards at will call during the 51st annual Kragen O’Reilly Auto Parts NHRA Winternationals, must submit their request no later than Monday, Feb. 21
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: I don't know

NHRA doing something good for past Pro winners does not harm me in any way. It's fine.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,578 Times in 322 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Question Re: I don't know

Gee Ed - One has to wonder - does anything the NHRA ever does please you .........the way I see it they are honoring sixty years of Champions . Be happy for them ..........they've earned it . As for the seats - well , look at it this way - a free seat is as good as it gets .
Old 02-16-2011, 12:54 AM   #4
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Jack and Michael,put your glasses and thinking cap on.I said why couldn't they do that for the sportsman guys also.It's not like they would lose any money doing so
Also don't you remember that they made a big deal (as in enhancement) about the "racers section" at national events.
If there going to give us perks for our entry fees,at least follow through on them.
Jack,they really aven't done many positive things in the recent past.When they did I
stated so.You never seem to find fault coming from them.I applaude your alliegence
to your old friends though.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 AM   #5
Bret Kepner

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

I'll agree with Ed, (D'OH!), on this one. Since it only applies to non-active racers and it's only for the 60th anniversary season, it would be a reasonable gesture to include as many ex-winners as possible. I'm fully aware it would be a logistical nightmare to contact all of those folks but it would be a fitting tribute.

I was on the panel to determine the Top Fifty NHRA Racers of All Time for NHRA's 50th anniversary and lobbied that anybody who made the list should be given a "hard card" for LIFE! My plea went unheeded.
Bret Kepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,578 Times in 322 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Smile Re: I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Jack and Michael,put your glasses and thinking cap on.I said why couldn't they do that for the sportsman guys also.It's not like they would lose any money doing so

If there going to give us perks for our entry fees,at least follow through on them.
Jack,they really aven't done many positive things in the recent past.When they did I
stated so.You never seem to find fault coming from them.I applaude your alliegence
to your old friends though.
Ed - Speaking of glasses lets look at this from a different angle - you're unhappy because sixty years of Sportsman were not honored and I feel good because sixty years of Pro's were .Why not just look at the positive side and be done with it - they did something nice and we should be glad for those who will benefit from it .

As for my allegiance and loyalty to old friends - this has nothing at all to do with them - most are gone anyway .And if you haven't noticed I've had more than my share of turns in the "tank" from them in recent years . You may not be happy with the NHRA but its the only game we have here in the Northeast and some of us are trying to make the best of a bad time .

My advise - fill the upper half of your cup up .................
Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
skills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed I understand your point and maybe they should give some of the past sportsmen champs a free year that would be cool to run into some of the older past champs that us younger fans dont know. I do think what they are doing with the past pro champs is cool anytime you can run into Big Daddy is a good thing for fans. Glendora is never going to change their attitude toward sportsman racers unless the sponsors or fans care about it. If the Lucas familly put alittle pressure on to maybe have an hour show on sportsmen racing or maybe alittle more exposure then and only then will things change.
skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
Bob Pagano
VIP Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

Bret, You bring a light no matter where you show up and yes they should have included the Sportsman too. Hell the whole group has been cut by time, half or less still around and how many can actually come to a race. No thought on nhra's part, dam shame.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Jack,readjust the glasses and read the third sentence in my post.I'll make it easy,it's right here.:
It seems like a nice tribute to past "Pro" winners of national events.

Where did I say anything derogatory about the pros?
Some people are reluctant to speak up when they see things that aren't quite right and others take on the task of speaking up and trying to right them.I guess you fit category one and I fit number two.
Look back in my posts and you'll see that besides bashing NHRA I've made suggestions
I think would benefit everyone.And you can't say I've had an agenda.Remember the red light issue?I said leave it alone.And I almost always leave first.

Oh,and what Brett said too.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Old 02-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
pbaileyrp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed Fernandez is the straw that stirs the Classracer.com drink. LOL
pbaileyrp is offline   Reply With Quote