Old 02-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #21
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P Chapman View Post
Bill
What body are you putting it in. The turbos have been good to me over the years.
Dennis
It's going into a somewhat lightened (2,500 pounds?) 1964 Valiant 4-door sedan. It is in no way, a serious race car, and intended only as a test-bed for two old geezers (I'm 72 and my racing partner, Fred is 73!) having a last gasp before we take the dirt nap...

But, we wanted to show these Buick GN guys we hang out with, that the "Stage" blocks they use are not the ONLY way to go...

If we were interested in winning Bracket races, we realize that a small, turbo'd engine is not the most consistent thing in the world, so we'd build something different...
Just two old guys, tryin' to have some fun...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++

Art, if we can make 600 horsepower with 35 pounds of boost, we'll be very excited! There are some guys running these (225 cu. in.) motors with 28 pounds of boost, making a little over 500, currently. We're not greedy... just curious.

Lookin' for that Achilles heel; not wanting to find it.... LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valbert1-6.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	6268  

Last edited by bill dedman; 02-17-2011 at 01:16 PM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #22
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

duplicate post
Old 02-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #23
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dedman View Post
Dennis
It's going into a somewhat lightened (2,500 pounds?) 1964 Valiant 4-door sedan. It is in no way, a serious race car, and intended only as a test-bed for two old geezers (I'm 72 and my racing partner, Fred is 73!) having a last gasp before we take the dirt nap...

But, we wanted to show these Buick GN guys we hang out with, that the "Stage" blocks they use are not the ONLY way to go...

If we were interested in winning Bracket races, we realize that a small, turbo'd engine is not the most consistent thing in the world, so we'd build something different...

Art, if we can make 600 horsepower with 35 pounds of boost, we'll be very excited! There are some guys running these (225 cu. in.) motors with 28 pounds of boost, making a little over 500, currently. We're not greedy... just curious.

Well two guys have some fun with it keep me post. Sounds like a fun project good luck again.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #24
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dedman View Post
Dennis

Just be careful 1/2 pound or less of boost is the difference between a good run and a lot of scrap aluminum.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #25
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Holding a head gasket is a big issue with a lot of boost.......

The present head of Toyota Racing once managed a local Trans Am team. He had blocks machined in our shop and used our dyno to test. Porsche inline 4 cylinder engines in the 120 to 140 cubic inch range. I think he made about 530-550 hp and tried boost as high as 54lbs.......

He had to have the block o-ringed and had special rings made out of Inconel.

Now that was a lot of boost and they ran many laps and needed reliability.....He blew up a lot of stuff and they did well for a Privateer operation. Very fast car that was on the pole of a few races....924 Porsche when the other teams were V8 Mustangs and Camaro's in themid '80s

His name is Lee White.....and he also managed Jack Roush's team when they ran Turbo charged XR4TI's........He is always in the Nascar winners circle with any Toyota that wins.......

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 02-17-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #26
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks to Art, Dennis, and Rich.

I know we should have O-ringed the block, but we obtained some special ARP studs that are 220,000 psi material (regular ones are 180,000, I think) and the are SUPPOSED to keep the head from lifting under boost...

We'll see. If we have cylinder sealing problems at the head/block interface, , we'll take it off and do it right...

Thanks for all the good info, Rich!
Old 02-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #27
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Bill.....Lee made a water to air intercooler tank to cool the inlet air when he was on our dyno. Inlet air temperature really made a big difference in HP output. Every 10 degrees was significant.

I used to be in our engine assembly room....behind a cement block wall while Lee was torturing an engine and the sound was to much.....I had to get out of there......That little engine being cycled up and down the rpm range and the turbo spooling up was defening.....

The man started out racing Formula Fords on his own and is now President of Toyota American Racing.......
Old 02-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #28
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Hi jack alert Hi jack alert...........
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:45 AM   #29
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Guilty as charged...
Old 02-19-2011, 04:22 AM   #30
Bret Kepner

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

Returning to the original post, I was informed the NHRA did, in fact, present lifetime "hard cards" to those voted onto the Top Fifty NHRA Racers list back in 2001. I was unaware the NHRA had made this gesture and was very pleased to find out!
Bret Kepner is offline   Reply With Quote