HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
Ron Ortiz

Liked 255 Times in 87 Posts
Default Ortiz somewhat unleeched,Bradenton NHRA

I just love to go racing, with that in mind here is some of the encounters that I encountered while at Bradenton, Florida.

Arrived Thursday night at around 9:30, had to go to a holding cell as the gates were closed. On a Thursday night for a Friday divisional race, guess it is up to the tracks closing times requirements. Got in early morning and was pitted with ease, got next to Jim Marshall, a New Yorker, this is going to be fun.... his wife Pam is a very nice person.

First thing I notice is that all the trash cans are up front from about the 1,000 ft mark to the starting line. Unfortunatly for us sportsman racers from there to the end of the track, no cans. Seagulls came in around 5:00PM Sunday, what a feast. Also no Port A Johns, same as Immokalee, how can you test the paper, must be a rural area thing.

Weather was quite cool for some, down right cold for me. I'd much rather run around in a pair of shorts and a T shirt and the car be slow, but so would everybody else be slow too.
But as it turned out that I went the fastest and quickest was great, but it was cold because of the 7 to 12 tailwind. I was really upset about the weather, it seems every year Bradenton gets a cold weekend, and all the people who came to Florida for the sunny warm temps get a cold snap. Yea, thats just what they want. I'm really sorry, but we cannot control the weather unless we build indoor tracks. Sunday around 3:00PM, It went into shorts mode, about time.

Tech inspection was thorough, just as the previous weeks, and it was a pleasure to talk to the NHRA tech guys again, hav'nt seen them since this time last year. The tech card had a long line for the e-mail address and long line for membership and license info. I wonder if they read my previous observation, or is it the same printer. Not the same printer, just a better tech card, still needs more room for sponsor info though.

They had the Unleashed classes there, about 30 or so. I knew some of them as they are local racers from the track. It did not hurt the schedule and was alright by me as it allowed me to have more preperation time in the morning. They started running at like 11:00AM on Friday, 10:00AM on Saturday, and a time shot at 9:00AM Sunday. The track got more cars which equal more spectators, with family and such, and allowed racers from around to compete that week in a divisional. The neat thing was that they got to park where they normally do at the weekly events. They had trash cans too. Several class cars ran with them too, it was pretty cool. I would have but they do not have a class for me, unless they come up with a Slug Unglued class.

Scales fluctuated a little, but they were them portable kind so what can you expect, had them in Immokalee too. Had problems at fuel check again this year. Last year the Sunoco track fuel at Bradenton and Gainesville did not want to pass. This year it was the Sunoco from Immokalee that would not pass. Last year the tech guy told me that I have to get it from the VP trailer guy because the inground tanks alter things. I did and it passed. This year same thing, so I go to the VP trailer guy and get the Sportsman fuel at $10.00 /gal, last year it was $8.00/gal, and it passes with flying colors. I wish they had a Sunoco trailer. I really wish they would let me run pump gas. Anyway the tech guys were very helpful and I have top notch, high grade, expensive fuel in my car now. Unlike the expensive, high grade, not so good a notch fuel.

The races went off pretty good and I went a few rounds, so I was happy. Until they sprayed the track for the remaining three Alcohol Funny cars. Lost over a tenth, car stuck to the track, no I'm not kidding, even dialed up, 60' was the same. Of course a .099 did not help, but still had that sticky feeling.

Could'nt get anyone to go to Jose's for dinner on Friday night as we were cooking Saturday night. Ended up eating a wide selection of pepperoni, dry sausage, soppretta, all imported, with Ritz, mixed nuts, swiss, montery jalapeno, mozzarella, and gouda cheese. Some times you just have to rough it.

Next up is Gainesville for the divisional. I always expect it to be cold at least one night, if not all. I mean it is way up north from where I live and I just survived Bradenton. Looking foward to seeing all the new faces, if any. Also get to park within sight of the stands.

On a sad note, please say a prayer for Bradenton track owner Todd as he was involved in a serious accident Saturday night.

Ron Ortiz
U/SA brrrrr
Old 02-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
Daran Summerton

Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts
Default Re: Ortiz somewhat unleeched,Bradenton NHRA

Ron you may have run your personnal quickest pass to date due to finally running out the 2 year old lawn mower GAS!!!! I'll see ya at G-ville I'll try the unleached I believe --- cheaper entry and same purse! HELLO!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: Ortiz somewhat unleeched,Bradenton NHRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daran Summerton View Post
Ron you may have run your personnal quickest pass to date due to finally running out the 2 year old lawn mower GAS!!!! I'll see ya at G-ville I'll try the unleached I believe --- cheaper entry and same purse! HELLO!
It might be more fun also. At least when you get beat in the first round you have save some $$$$$ for a fun day or two......LOL.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,707 Times in 853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daran Summerton View Post
?.... I'll try the unleached I believe --- cheaper entry and same purse! HELLO!
No contingency or round money either...Hello back! LOL
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: Ortiz somewhat unleeched,Bradenton NHRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
No contingency or round money either...Hello back! LOL
Ya have to WIN/RU and go rounds to get any $$$$ anyway. Half of the racers will be beat in the first round.....LOL.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Also no Port A Johns, same as Immokalee, how can you test the paper, must be a rural area thing.
Immokalee had portajohns, they were just further down. Remember, you had prime rserved parking as part of the booked-in show. "Real" bathrooms were located on the other side of the staging lanes. And the paper was good. Hot water, too.

Quote:
This year it was the Sunoco from Immokalee that would not pass.
That's because it wasn't Sunoco. It was VP. They sold Sunoco a few years ago, but switched to VP. I doubled-checked with Ralph. A lot of track fuel sales guys don't consider fuel check, and just sell "110" or "112", not realizing that brands matter for S/SS racers.

You done good last weekend, Mr. Ortiz!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
Ron Ortiz

Liked 255 Times in 87 Posts

Thanks Michael for the real info on fuel. I asked the fuel guy at Immokalee what brand it was and he said he did not know if it was Sunoco or VP, but it was $9.00 /gal. and that it passes fuel check. But it is in an above ground tank.

Since I had such a prime space I did not venture down to far as I was pretending to be a Pro. Just did not have any ropes for the pit area and I forgot my apparel trailer. Yes the real bathroom was across from me, but it runs on a generator and the lights are off at night. I know cause I stumbled across to them quite late, or was it quite early. The paper was good.

After reading some other posts on different threads it appears that there are some out there who bring up my name in reference to having a good time. I appreciate your kind words, but I am considering a royalty fee for such use. I'll update you later on the terms and conditions that might be initiated in the near future.

See what happens when you get prime parking. Where is my apparel trailer? Have you seen the new Southern Snacks Logo with a sleek wagon doing a wheelstand. John Force has a production team for entertainment, I have the Imperial Palace. Enough said.

Got to go and get ready to leave tonight for Gainesville. That New Yorker guy said he is going to save us a spot, and we are supposed to hook up with the Jersey Mafia (two old guys with an accent and bad attitudes (Himes & Nees). Yo Chorizo, you coming to the Gators?

Ron Ortiz
U/SA this offer not to be confused with any other offer. Void in New Jersey
Old 02-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Ortiz View Post
Thanks Michael for the real info on fuel. I asked the fuel guy at Immokalee what brand it was and he said he did not know if it was Sunoco or VP, but it was $9.00 /gal. and that it passes fuel check. But it is in an above ground tank.

Since I had such a prime space I did not venture down to far as I was pretending to be a Pro. Just did not have any ropes for the pit area and I forgot my apparel trailer. Yes the real bathroom was across from me, but it runs on a generator and the lights are off at night. I know cause I stumbled across to them quite late, or was it quite early. The paper was good.

After reading some other posts on different threads it appears that there are some out there who bring up my name in reference to having a good time. I appreciate your kind words, but I am considering a royalty fee for such use. I'll update you later on the terms and conditions that might be initiated in the near future.

See what happens when you get prime parking. Where is my apparel trailer? Have you seen the new Southern Snacks Logo with a sleek wagon doing a wheelstand. John Force has a production team for entertainment, I have the Imperial Palace. Enough said.

Got to go and get ready to leave tonight for Gainesville. That New Yorker guy said he is going to save us a spot, and we are supposed to hook up with the Jersey Mafia (two old guys with an accent and bad attitudes (Himes & Nees). Yo Chorizo, you coming to the Gators?

Ron Ortiz
U/SA this offer not to be confused with any other offer. Void in New Jersey
Not this year Conquistador.No dinero.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote