HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 02-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default Trans cooler hose

What's the best hose to use for tranny cooler? Looking at the Jiffy-tite fittings for trans but having a hard time nailing down exactly what hose to use. Most say they will work but I know a lot of hose gets very hard when running certain fluids thru them. Thanks Joe
Old 02-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
njk53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Trans cooler hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzinhalfdozen View Post
What's the best hose to use for tranny cooler? Looking at the Jiffy-tite fittings for trans but having a hard time nailing down exactly what hose to use. Most say they will work but I know a lot of hose gets very hard when running certain fluids thru them. Thanks Joe
We use Jiffy-Tite quick connects on our inlet/outlet transmission lines. We use braided steel lines from the transmission to the in-tank cooler in the radiator which makes it real easy to route. The Jiffy-Tite quick connects are a good product and work well to eliminate the mess when you have to pull your transmission. I think Jiffy-Tite may even make a transmission kit where you get the quick connects as well as 2 braided steel whips to install to the transmission. All you have to do is provide the steel braided line to route from the whips to and from your cooler. If you need further info, send me a PM.

Last edited by njk53; 02-19-2015 at 11:45 AM.
njk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts

Gates makes a hose specifically designed for transmission cooler applications, rated up to 300-degrees operating temperature. I've used it with standard "barb-style" fittings for many years with no issues, but I haven't had any experience with the Jiffy-tite fittings yet.

Lew
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
Stocker Buick GS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Stocker Buick GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzinhalfdozen View Post

Hey Joe I just use a metal line out and back in its out a bit so it does get some air never had one have smell burnt I been using wally world type F and change it a few time a year too trans never get to hot just running around the pit and return road
Stocker Buick GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker Buick GS View Post

Hey Joe I just use a metal line out and back in its out a bit so it does get some air never had one have smell burnt I been using wally world type F and change it a few time a year too trans never get to hot just running around the pit and return road
Yeah that's the way it's set up currently, however since my grandson is going to enter the JR dragster ranks this year we are gonna stay close to home and bracket race a bit. They typically run them thru pretty quickly so thought a cooler would be a good idea.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #6
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 315 Times in 100 Posts

Back in the day we used Power Steering Return Hose for the lack of anything better.............

I would think today with all of the different hose available you could spec a hose that would handle 350 degrees and 300 psi as a minimum...

Bob
Old 02-20-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

I use aeroquip teflon lined braided line, it is made for brake,power steering, nitrous and trans lines,I use #6 it is smaller od than rubber lined braided line,I did one with jiffy tites got their connectors that had flare on them and put hose ends on line and screw onto the jiffy tite connector, takes a few more fittings that way but if something was to happen to quick connector you could stick a union back in place to get going,
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:11 PM   #8
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I'm surprised so many still run coolers.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #9
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

I agree with Ed .
Not too many S/SS cars run coolers any more.
On the Super Class cars I build ,where trans coolers are very important ,I use hi temperature hydraulic hose rated for 500 deg and 3000 psi burst strength.
It's far cheaper than braided and it's designed for hot hydraulic oil .
You can have most hose shops make them in # 6 hose with crimped on 37 deg JIC ends to adapt to the Jiffy tite ends .
Old 02-20-2015, 08:20 PM   #10
SS Engine Guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Mr. Tom Goldman just gave some good advice as usual. Use the highest psi rated hose that you can get along with a much higher temp rating than trans fluid usually gets. Mushy hose caused by heat and low psi rating will cause way more consistency and durability problems than running no cooler at all. Years ago we put a video cam focused on the trans cooler hoses and were surprised at how much they swelled and then returned to normal during shifts. Surprised they didn't rupture. Deleting the cooler resulted in .07 reduction on a 11.50 car and this was already a lower than normal pressure trans.

Last edited by SS Engine Guy; 02-20-2015 at 08:22 PM.
SS Engine Guy is offline   Reply With Quote