Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #51
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: 1978 Mustang II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Denysenko View Post
Robert nothing wrong with the 4 lug wheels as long as you use quality parts we've run them for years on both Tony and Beths cars and in P, Beth's car is a tank.
Alex,

Nice to hear from you. Hope you are recovering well. My older brother has been through too many strokes and he won't listen to the doctors. Hope you take care of yourself, hopefully I get meet you and your family at one of these tracks someday.

As to the four lug wheels. Only considered them a problem in finding some. Found a good pair of 15x8's on Racing Junk. A pair of 15x3's surfaced in Cincinnati thru Craigslist. Just need to get some axles for the rear and long studs all around and I'm home with these.

Never thought I'd be taking another Ford to the racetrack. Other than the truck pulling the trailer.

Bob
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #52
Alex Denysenko

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Swartz View Post
Alex,

Nice to hear from you. Hope you are recovering well. My older brother has been through too many strokes and he won't listen to the doctors. Hope you take care of yourself, hopefully I get meet you and your family at one of these tracks someday.

As to the four lug wheels. Only considered them a problem in finding some. Found a good pair of 15x8's on Racing Junk. A pair of 15x3's surfaced in Cincinnati thru Craigslist. Just need to get some axles for the rear and long studs all around and I'm home with these.

Never thought I'd be taking another Ford to the racetrack. Other than the truck pulling the trailer.

Bob
Hey Robert I'm doing hours and hours of therapy weekly along with taking a truck load of meds. Damn insurance company is killing us though, new year brings on a new deductable all over again, so the co-pays are many and costly But I refuse to give up even if we have to go broke and sell everything off

we carry the long wheel studs in stock
Alex Denysenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #53
SBDART

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Bob how the car coming have not talked to you at work or seen you at all I guess I will not be seeing you at all now .. I am goin to 3rd shift starting tonight. going to 3rd shift mach on I-6 heads 8.30 pm to 5.00 am.. need more money for that old mopar of mine LOL.
SBDART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #54
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm jealous of those on here that have had time to get work done on their cars, LOL! This winter has been a rough one both weather wise and personally. Things have not gone as I'd hoped. That's life and we have to keep going.

I enjoy reading of others progress. Glad some of you guys are prepping to make it to the track. We spent a good part of the day prepping and rearranging the garage. The 79 Firebird which was slated to be an IHRA crate stocker has been tossed out for the time being. It has now taken up residence beside the garage with a car cover. At some point it will be restarted but other things are more pressing.

My old 66 Chevy II bracket car has now been moved to the 'birds old spot. As time permits we'll spend some time finishing the interior work, rewiring and plumbing the brake lines and fuel cell and it's lines. I know it's just a bracket car but I've had it so long, yeah, it's like an old dog, you get attached to it. I do look forward to the day we get to blast it back down the track as well.

I want to give a personal shout out and thank you to Alex Denysenko. He's gotten me a few odds and ends and taken the time to answer my questions. I can't express how much I appreciate that.

For now, the old Mustang II has returned to the garage. It is going to be the point of primary emphasis. We literally have piles of parts. Finally enough to get the project off the ground. We had hoped to get the car up on stands, get the 4:62 gear set in place, replace the wheel studs and remove the sway bar. Get the slicks bolted on. We ran out of day. We did get the slicks bolted on to check for clearance. The little 26x8.5 Hoosiers look funny. They fit and clear everything. One tiny step. Now I start with a clear plan and (hopefully) start to get this car assembled. At least to point we can take it to the track.

Oh, for anyone interested. We charged up the battery and fired the little Olds too. Want to get the header on it. Do a couple little other things. Maybe take it out later as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear view slicks.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	23374   Click image for larger version

Name:	side view slicks.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	23375  

Last edited by Robert Swartz; 04-12-2014 at 09:39 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-14-2014, 08:25 AM   #55
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Keep it up! Looking good! I have only had spontaneous times to work, I am wishing I could build an actual garage I can fit a car in, vs the hobby shop/carport combo I have. Montana is trying to have all four seasons every week, so until that settles, I'm stuck here.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #56
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Toller View Post
Keep it up! Looking good! I have only had spontaneous times to work, I am wishing I could build an actual garage I can fit a car in, vs the hobby shop/carport combo I have. Montana is trying to have all four seasons every week, so until that settles, I'm stuck here.
Well Joe, I think the weather here in Indiana is (finally) about to break. I couldn't go back to working without a garage. I kind of went thru that a little last year. I was working on the FWD Olds out in the driveway. Too much stuff in the garage.

I'm a little bit that way now. As you'll see from the picture, have a push mower, rototiller and still have the snowblower in the garage. It needs to go to the barn and the other two need serviced. Yard will need mown and wife wants her vegetable garden dug up. The chores of summer, ugh.

I now have the front tires on the Mustang. A set of 28" tall Mickey Thompson's. That I've had for 4-5 years. They've never been down the road or track. Mostly used for placeholders or set up tires. Like the rears they clear everything. Finally they get used for something.

Also found a nasty hole. The battery box was gone. It had been replaced with a license plate? I'll spend some time on it and make some kind of box. It will also need brakes and rotors, the passenger side looked pretty grim. Now it's down to doing some simple things to just get it ready to take to the track.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	battery rusthole.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	23432   Click image for larger version

Name:	front wheel clearence.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	23433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stang II wheels.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	23434  

Old 04-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #57
tommy d

Liked 310 Times in 116 Posts

That little Mustang is looking good! Welcome to the dark side.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #58
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Swartz View Post
Well Joe, I think the weather here in Indiana is (finally) about to break. I couldn't go back to working without a garage. I kind of went thru that a little last year. I was working on the FWD Olds out in the driveway. Too much stuff in the garage.

I'm a little bit that way now. As you'll see from the picture, have a push mower, rototiller and still have the snowblower in the garage. It needs to go to the barn and the other two need serviced. Yard will need mown and wife wants her vegetable garden dug up. The chores of summer, ugh.

I now have the front tires on the Mustang. A set of 28" tall Mickey Thompson's. That I've had for 4-5 years. They've never been down the road or track. Mostly used for placeholders or set up tires. Like the rears they clear everything. Finally they get used for something.

Also found a nasty hole. The battery box was gone. It had been replaced with a license plate? I'll spend some time on it and make some kind of box. It will also need brakes and rotors, the passenger side looked pretty grim. Now it's down to doing some simple things to just get it ready to take to the track.
Lookin' sharp!!!

Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #59
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy d View Post
That little Mustang is looking good! Welcome to the dark side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie A View Post
Lookin' sharp!!!

HA, HA, thanks guys. Poor lighting and cell phone pictures can do wonders. It's finally getting to a point where it CAN start to take shape.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #60
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Just a little more clear image of the car. Those tall front tires give it a serious reverse rake. Maybe get some time to work on the battery box tomorrow. Want to get it fired again and see how it turns with the Mickey's.

Anyone know where I can find a trim piece for that vinyl roof. It won't take long to lift that top, under acceleration after a few launches. That's the headache with these cars, lot of little pieces that either don't exist or just plain difficult to find, LOL. That's why we run stock, right!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	garage better image.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	23456