Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 12-31-2019, 07:52 PM   #11
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 289 Posts
Default Re: Car Craft demise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrphil View Post
Hot Rod is gone also, from what I hear. 10 magazines in all, now only available online. Motor Trend is what's left in print, and I believe 2 others.
That is not what I have seen, Hot Rod is supposed to survive (for now) along with Motor Trend.
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:38 PM   #12
Bill Bogues

Liked 168 Times in 51 Posts
Smile Re: Car Craft demise?

I liked car craft when it was 'drag racings complete magazine" and super stock and drag illustrated.When SS&DI went away and car craft quit the drag racing part I let my subscription expire. Ah for the good ole days.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:53 PM   #13
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts

The demise started when Mayershon and Vogelin stop writing for the magazine.
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:10 AM   #14
pmrphil

Liked 237 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
That is not what I have seen, Hot Rod is supposed to survive (for now) along with Motor Trend.
Yes, you are correct - I spoke too soon. Now I see that 19 mags in all have ceased print.
Liked
Old 01-01-2020, 12:47 PM   #15
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 761 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP HUNTER View Post
The demise started when Mayershon and Vogelin stop writing for the magazine.
Agreed! -Al
Old 01-01-2020, 01:19 PM   #16
Don Turk

Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Car Craft demise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I still miss Super Stock and Drag Illustrated. I thought it was better than both HR and CC, as far as Drag Racing was concerned.
MJ
SS&DI Was the best Magazine no doubt
Don Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:28 PM   #17
Bench Racer

Liked 99 Times in 21 Posts

SS&DI was king! I started getting it around 1982 and I used to tear out the "good" articles about the six and eight cylinder Modified Production cars, the Super Stock and Stock heavy hitters cars and staple them and put them in a folder. I was sad when it went belly up. A few years ago my girls were doing a "spring" cleaning and tossed my SS&DI folder with at least 3/4 of an inch of irreplaceable wisdom. The folder also included the Super Chevy article about my Brothers 58 Chevy Yeoman wagon. It was an ugly duckling that drew attention every where we went in the south. It was an IHRA Production Super Stock record holder when he bought it and was when he sold it .After I realized all my good stuff was gone I was depressed for a week. The "real" Hot Rod magazines are gone that done tests with cam swaps, intake manifold swaps, header swaps, ect.. The good magazines done stories on Modified Production cars, Super Stock and Stock Eliminator cars as well as the previously mentioned articles. They also taught what made horse power and what didn't. The junk in print now promotes chrome, twin turbos, spoilers, Bimbo's and rice rockets. There is very little left in the current printed automotive media that appeals to me. This is sad, I doubt I am the only car nut that feels this way.
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:52 PM   #18
John Kissel

Liked 232 Times in 94 Posts

This is the 3rd. time that the lovely "Ten Network" has screwed me over, starting with killing off H.P. Pontiac.I am done with them, and I started reading & buying hot rod in 1962 and the others as they came along. There are still a few good ones left that don't tell you how to turbo an ls with n02, but ya' gotta look. I get Overdrive, about big trucks, for free in the mail, and the pages are bigger and about the same number as the last musclecar review i got last month.John Kissel K242
John Kissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-05-2020, 04:02 PM   #19
rod

Location: Kingman, NW AZ. in the middle of the longest stretch of Route 66
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

thanks all for the replys. looks like everyone feels the same as myself.

being in a small town in AZ, most of my basic car knowledge came from Car Craft.
I now feel like the old flathead/Olds guys must have felt in 1956 when everything was about the new Chevy engine. I am so sick of LS this and that! therein lies the problem. the mag writers have nothing to write about. new cars cant be worked on or cant be afforded. kids want video games not cars. the Gov [especially the left] doesnt want gas powered cars. in the 60s thru the 80s, there were drag strips all over California. now there are 4. car mags [I guess] have run their course.

maybe this will result in car clubs coming back. as we will help each other rather than following what the mags show.
Rod in AZ
rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #20
bykr

Liked 167 Times in 81 Posts

Yeah, the magazines were interesting and occasionally good (remember Engine Masters?) but I've learned a lot more from forums like this one and others.