HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 01-02-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 653 Times in 253 Posts
Default O2 ?

If a O2 sensor is going bad what will it do? Mine is showing 18 to 21 AFR now and car is fine and runs the same. Last month it was showing 16 to 18 AFR. No header gasket leak that I can hear or see. Plugs read normal and ET is where it should be. The sensor is about 3 years old with C12 and C16 for fuel
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:22 PM   #2
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,729 Times in 418 Posts
Default Re: O2 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stout View Post
If a O2 sensor is going bad what will it do? Mine is showing 18 to 21 AFR now and car is fine and runs the same. Last month it was showing 16 to 18 AFR. No header gasket leak that I can hear or see. Plugs read normal and ET is where it should be. The sensor is about 3 years old with C12 and C16 for fuel
Where is the O2 located in the header? I normally change my O2 about once a year or at the first sign of an issue.
GUMP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

Eventually leaded gasoline will wreck an O2 sensor---It also depends on if its a carb or EFI system---EVENTUALLY if you are using LEADED fuel it is going to fail ---how soon depends on the tune up if you are close initially it might last longer --OR -it might fail in just a few dyno pulls or it might last a few hours (50-75)--I don't think there is anyway to clean them either--you can try soaking the sensors(completely covered) in gasoline for about 8-12 hours to loosen up any residue and then GENTLY use a soft brush to clean any residue that the gas left on the sensor , then use soft cotton cloth to wipe the tip---might work might not -I could be wrong on all this tho--FED 387

Last edited by FED 387; 01-02-2020 at 02:37 PM. Reason: add info
FED 387 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-02-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 653 Times in 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
Where is the O2 located in the header? I normally change my O2 about once a year or at the first sign of an issue.
Right at the collector, far from the head. Im going to look close at where the 4 tubes slide in collector now that Im thinking about it. One of the tubes is just the right length and only slides in collector a 1/4 inch. Thinking maybe that tube may have slid out just enough.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:03 PM   #5
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 833 Times in 290 Posts

Quote:
Jeff
If your 02 goes bad and you see little to no changes,you are most likely on open loop and the 02 has no effect, other than taking readings. Your unit is just following the map, period.(By readings I mean your data recorder in your FI unit, or stand alone unit.) You could also have a well tuned map using closed loop, and whoever did it has the allowable corrections so slim that even if the FI units sees a lean condition, its only making minimal allowable changes. Those 02's always fail in a lean condition, so if the parameters are set high (20-100 %) your FI unit will recognize the false lean condition from the failed 02 and dump whatever is available into the motor trying to correct the issue. That's why most tuners set that value pretty low after finishing up a tune. Just in case of a 02 failure. But I'm guessing your in open loop,,,,,
Hope this don't make it worse, ......LOL

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 01-02-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-02-2020, 06:55 PM   #6
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
Jeff
If your 02 goes bad and you see little to no changes,you are most likely on open loop and the 02 has no effect, other than taking readings. Your unit is just following the map, period.(By readings I mean your data recorder in your FI unit, or stand alone unit.) You could also have a well tuned map using closed loop, and whoever did it has the allowable corrections so slim that even if the FI units sees a lean condition, its only making minimal allowable changes. Those 02's always fail in a lean condition, so if the parameters are set high (20-100 %) your FI unit will recognize the false lean condition from the failed 02 and dump whatever is available into the motor trying to correct the issue. That's why most tuners set that value pretty low after finishing up a tune. Just in case of a 02 failure. But I'm guessing your in open loop,,,,,
Hope this don't make it worse, ......LOL
This is how I tune engines. Get them right, then lower the correction limits so in case something goofy happens, you don't hurt your engine.

Yes, they tend to start reading lean when they start to fail. The typical low-dollar sensor usually lasts 75-100 passes, a lot depends on your tune and how you run the engine. Lots of cold starts and running rich shortens their lifespan.

Keep a spare on hand. I used to buy the good NTK sensors for my Holley setup, but the Bosch sensor which lasts about 1/2 the amount of time is also 1/2 the cost, so it's a wash........

I really only use the wideband to log things, I usually run stuff in Open Loop unless a big change has been made or a much different altitude track is going to be raced at. Even then, 5% correction is typically enough.
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:21 PM   #7
Dave Noll

Liked 217 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
C12 is leaded. Leaded gas coats the sensor, it will read a low voltage which is interpreted as lean. When I use an O2 in mine, I only use C10.