HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #21
Altronics
Sponsor

Liked 58 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: Weather Station Recommendations?

All PerformAIRE systems allow for Multi-Run and Single Run prediction capability.

Multi-Run - Requires data base of runs to establish a prediction algorithm between weather variables and your vehicles performance.

Single Run - Uses last "Good" run or time run and standard factors to calculate performance based on weather. Also allows user to enter custom factors for their vehicle.

Using local or phone weather:
Generally local weather is provided by the nearest weather collection station from you current location (Schools, municipalities, airports). This can vary from a few miles to 10's of miles depending on your location. These systems typically update the weather a few times per hour. Although this data can be helpful, it is not as accurate as readings at the track using the SAME equipment. This can definitely add some confusion to your prediction if one reference station is calibrated to a different barometric reference than another!
So maybe if it is mid day and the temperature is stable, getting a local reading twice an hour may work OK, but racing in the morning or late afternoon to evening when the DA is changing 100' every 10-15 minutes if going to prove difficult if you don't have current accurate readings.

WIND Data:
Another important factor when trying to predict ET or Throttle Stop settings regarding weather stations is the use of a Wind Sensor. 50% of your weather prediction can come from the effect of the wind. Neglecting or disregarding what the wind is doing is going to make it difficult to predict your car accurately. Wind is one of the hardest weather parameters to measure because it is inconsistent, but it still effects the performance. Using a laptop based system with streaming graphical weather and wind info and watching the average and gust wind speed is critical to determine what may happen going down the race track. Even having a pager with the last half hour of wind data can help you know what the best and worst case effect the wind will have on your run and your ET.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #22
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
This is not true. I believe it is true of handheld prediction units. Crew Chief Pro uses its formulas to predict off a single run of your choosing. I like to flip through different 'base runs' and really feel good if the predictions stay consistent.

Once you get a bunch of runs in it, you can try to have the program alter the 'factors' to better suit your car based on the history, but I don't really trust it. I've had the best luck going back to the defaults.

I was referring to hand-held devices. I don't consider CCPro a weather station. It's a (very good) calculation system that relies on data from an outside source. They do have an integrated system of weather station and computer software, but it's trailer based and around 1700. But then I have around 1000 in my PerformAir and CCPro.....laptop not included...and I could use a new one...
Liked
Old 01-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #23
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I never try to predict off a single run. I try to have at least three qualifying passes, with no changes to the car. With my car, Crew Chief Pro is deadly. I bought an update that uses an interface cable hooking my weather station to my laptop, so weather data Ypres automatically. I can see weather data on my laptop screen, in CCP, but it does not update the ET predictions. Evidently I am not bright enough to make it work. I had to go back to typing data in. Works great like that.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #24
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
I never try to predict off a single run. I try to have at least three qualifying passes, with no changes to the car. With my car, Crew Chief Pro is deadly. I bought an update that uses an interface cable hooking my weather station to my laptop, so weather data Ypres automatically. I can see weather data on my laptop screen, in CCP, but it does not update the ET predictions. Evidently I am not bright enough to make it work. I had to go back to typing data in. Works great like that.
If you are using Crew Chief Pro, I can assure you that it is predicting based on a single run.
Liked
Old 01-09-2020, 06:44 PM   #25
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
If you are using Crew Chief Pro, I can assure you that it is predicting based on a single run.
Lenny, I never have only one pass entered in Crew Chief Pro when I try to predict an ET.
I am not going to argue with you. It appears it knows which one to use. Has worked very well for me.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:58 AM   #26
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Lenny, I never have only one pass entered in Crew Chief Pro when I try to predict an ET.
I am not going to argue with you. It appears it knows which one to use. Has worked very well for me.
It doesn't matter how many runs are entered. The formulas don't automatically change or learn your car as more runs are entered.

On the Prediction screen, there is a "base run" down the left side along with its weather. To the right of that is the current weather and the effect that each weather element will have compared to the base run. The predictions are all based on that one base run that you are using. I feel most confident when I can flip through different base runs and still get the same predictions.

There's nothing to argue about; I'm clearing up your misunderstanding of how it works. I'm glad it works well for you. I've been happy with it too.
Liked
Old 01-10-2020, 06:59 PM   #27
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,587 Times in 1,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny5160 View Post
it doesn't matter how many runs are entered. The formulas don't automatically change or learn your car as more runs are entered.

On the prediction screen, there is a "base run" down the left side along with its weather. To the right of that is the current weather and the effect that each weather element will have compared to the base run. The predictions are all based on that one base run that you are using. I feel most confident when i can flip through different base runs and still get the same predictions.

There's nothing to argue about; i'm clearing up your misunderstanding of how it works. I'm glad it works well for you. I've been happy with it too.
"......."................good luck !!!!! .................
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-11-2020, 10:10 AM   #28
Jeff Kempton

Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts

Thanks again everyone for the responses. Lots of info to mull over to help me make a selection.
Jeff Kempton is offline   Reply With Quote