Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #11
pbp1

Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts
Smile Re: Weather stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kaekel View Post
I don't mean to intrude, but I imagine that he's referring to the fact that if you run your car on the "rich" side, that you would tend to pick up a bit more in very good conditions and fall-off a bit more when the air is real bad. On the other hand, if you run on the "lean" side, your car won't vary as much.
I completely agree with your first sentence, but if you run on the lean side of the ideal A/F ratio for your engine, you can have the same un-predictability in performance. As a matter of fact, it can even go the wrong way. I had a customer call me about a tuning issue, his complaint was that when he got in good air, his car actually slowed down instead of picking up. I asked him what his target A/F ratio was, he said 13.8:1, because "thats what everyone who is fast runs at".
pbp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Weather stations

Good grief! 13.8?? I think somebody is surely pulling his leg. LOL
Old 08-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
pbp1

Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts
Talking Re: Weather stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Ed, you know the "Monkey See Monkey Do" mentality. For some application, 13.8 may be an ideal ratio, but it was not for this LS1. He refused to change it! He said it was the ECUs fault that his car slowed down in good air. I gave him the old "Garbage in, Garbage out" speech, to no avail! I try to communicate to people that an EFI system is just a tuning tool, it is only as good as the hands and mind that are using it.
pbp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #14
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbp1 View Post
Ed, you know the "Monkey See Monkey Do" mentality. For some application, 13.8 may be an ideal ratio, but it was not for this LS1. He refused to change it! He said it was the ECUs fault that his car slowed down in good air. I gave him the old "Garbage in, Garbage out" speech, to no avail! I try to communicate to people that an EFI system is just a tuning tool, it is only as good as the hands and mind that are using it.
I have found that many wide bands, unfortunately, are like flow benches and dynos, as they don't all give the same numbers on the same engine. I have done this a while now, and have never seen anything on my dyno like 13.8-1 on any wide band of mine. I can't imagine him falling for something like that. He needs sharper friends. LOL

Mine always goes down the track quicker when a tad richer than it liked on the dyno.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #15
Paul Merolla

Liked 232 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Ed - I know 14.7 is technically ideal, but what would a good range be for a Q-jet SBC stocker?
Paul Merolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #16
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Paul, 14.7-1 is not for wide open power. That is the target A/F ratio for computer controlled cars with cats. That is where the cats are most efficient in most cases. That is for idle and cruise, not WOT.

Most everything I ever worked with has liked between 12.5-1 and 13.2-1. Some depends on the fuel also. C11 likes a little richer. My car likes 12.8-1 with C11. Your results may vary. LOL
Old 08-08-2014, 12:00 AM   #17
Nitro Joe Jackson
VIP Member

Location: Loudonville, Ohio or where ever the Nitro Lounge is parked
Liked 66 Times in 18 Posts

Computech is my favorite , great support group and tell Jay "Nitro Joe sent you"!
and I know a good guy to bail you out if you have computer problems with there weather at the track, lol
Old 08-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #18
Paul Merolla

Liked 232 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Paul, 14.7-1 is not for wide open power. That is the target A/F ratio for computer controlled cars with cats. That is where the cats are most efficient in most cases. That is for idle and cruise, not WOT.

Most everything I ever worked with has liked between 12.5-1 and 13.2-1. Some depends on the fuel also. C11 likes a little richer. My car likes 12.8-1 with C11. Your results may vary. LOL
I should've said "stoichiometrically" ideal...thanks for the info.
Paul Merolla is offline   Reply With Quote