Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 10-31-2017, 04:26 PM   #11
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts
Default Re: HELP,HELP pontiac gurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiger View Post
UGGGH!!! ok so I can not wring this motor where I want to. Bought a set of Molnar rods so maybe it will live @6200-6400 rpm. It is a street car with a pro-shift nash 5 speed but I like shifting at 7000+ rpm ,looks like I will have to learn to shift at 6200. non-tubbed car will be fun trying to hook up this
torque monster using 1972 technology. Extended lakewood slappers and a decent adj. shock, 9 or 10 inch tires. Doing a street-strip car like we had in 1972. Frame connectors but no cage.
what rear gear ratio?

Mike A114
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:42 PM   #12
Bruce Fulper

Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiger View Post
anybody that wants to b.s. and tell me i'm a moron give me a call

especially bruce fulper

330 831 4480 anytime
Odd that some people want to misrepresent helpful replies to a level of hate. ????? I live to help Pontiac guys understand how to get the most from their combination. You don't want my help, fine. Take your hate elsewhere. Long live my 8000 rpm Pontiac.
Bruce Fulper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:15 PM   #13
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Fulper View Post
Odd that some people want to misrepresent helpful replies to a level of hate. ????? I live to help Pontiac guys understand how to get the most from their combination. You don't want my help, fine. Take your hate elsewhere. Long live my 8000 rpm Pontiac.
I remember when you told my friend he was over his head on a 1964 389 build. Remember the one where he reconfigured the combustion chambers on the 1964 heads, well it made 502 HP/500 + TQ with 18 inches of vacuum on pump gas, customer was sure blown away.............loves that car!

Bruce, if you know, how hard does Burton turn that ram air 4 in the lights? I would assume its well over 7000.

Last edited by HP HUNTER; 10-31-2017 at 08:20 PM.
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:20 PM   #14
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP HUNTER View Post
I remember when you told my friend he was over his head on a 1964 389 build. Remember the one where he reconfigured the combustion chambers on the 1964 heads, well it made 502 HP/500 + TQ with 18 inches of vacuum on pump gas, customer was sure blown away.............loves that car!

Bruce, if you know, how hard does Burton turn that ram air 4 in the lights? I would assume its well over 7000.

Curious...
How high does he spin the 389?
Thanks, Mike A114
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:43 PM   #15
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Curious...
How high does he spin the 389?
Thanks, Mike A114

That 389 was tested several years ago, and it wasn't tested by me, but I was there but can't remember the peak, I do remember the build because I machined it, low drag, well thought out oil system, a lot of detail work, a well designed engine that ran excellent in the customers GTO and still runs great to this day. Its important to note the customer insisted on using the factory 64 heads with the horrible valve angle. You can be sure it wasn't 7500 RPM.
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:13 AM   #16
craiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry Bruce Fulper my response was meant to be tongue-in-cheek cuz I truly am a moron where this pontiac motor is concerned I do not have a flipping clue how to make this mess perform properly. I truly appreciate each and every response and hopefully with enough help from class racer this car will run decently and not run over its own crank. My aim is to have fun and run decent. This is the last project I am ever going to do; I am old and physically beat up and really don't want to screw the pooch on this deal.
Again Bruce Fulper I sincerely apologize if you took my comments negatively they were not meant that way and I value your advise and it has opened my eyes to what I have to do make the car work right. THANK YOU

craig esposito
craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:15 AM   #17
craiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

P.S. Bruce I asked you to call to pick your brain to keep from making ,more stupid mistakes

craig
craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:03 AM   #18
Bunkster

Liked 43 Times in 10 Posts

Jack Mullins 63 Catalina wagon…389/235…4 spd…SS/U circa mid seventies…

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0212hpp-pontiac-history/

Mullins had what many Pontiac racers might call an aggressive driving style because that is what it took to win. He’d generally leave at 7500 rpm, shifting into Second at 6300, while Third and Fourth were engaged at 6800 rpm. He’d flash through the lights at 7400. “If I was in the final, I’d leave at 8200,” Mullins recalled. At that point I wasn’t worried about going another round. I could pick up 5 or 6 hundredths doing that.” Amazingly, he only had one bottom-end failure. “The crank did come out in three pieces, but that only happened once,” he said.

Bunkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #19
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkster View Post
Jack Mullins 63 Catalina wagon…389/235…4 spd…SS/U circa mid seventies…

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0212hpp-pontiac-history/

Mullins had what many Pontiac racers might call an aggressive driving style because that is what it took to win. He’d generally leave at 7500 rpm, shifting into Second at 6300, while Third and Fourth were engaged at 6800 rpm. He’d flash through the lights at 7400. “If I was in the final, I’d leave at 8200,” Mullins recalled. At that point I wasn’t worried about going another round. I could pick up 5 or 6 hundredths doing that.” Amazingly, he only had one bottom-end failure. “The crank did come out in three pieces, but that only happened once,” he said.
That kind of stuff only works if you are from Arkansas. We are way too backwards and ignorant to make "sofistikated" race car parts work..
Old 11-01-2017, 09:25 AM   #20
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

I've always thought that many Ponco engines had bottom end oiling issues. I would certainly research this area before getting in too deep.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote