Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #11
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: Dixon Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
Years ago at Virginia I removed my outdated tag in the pits and drove to the spot to get certified. The NHRA official says " first time gettin a cert " and I say no 3rd time. He says " where is your tag ? " So I tell him I just took it off 5 mins ago. He says " why did you do that? " I tell him that it was outdated and I was trying to save him some time and I wanted to clean off the glue/stick. He says " You should have not done that because we like to see that your chassis has been previously approved and we like to remove the sticker so there is no chance it could be placed on another car." I swear I was there for over 45 mins.
Yep, when my chassis is recertified, the inspector always removes the sticker and puts it in his little book.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #12
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,705 Times in 853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
Yep, when my chassis is recertified, the inspector always removes the sticker and puts it in his little book.
Same as my experience and as it should be to eliminate out of date stickers being applied to another car, which an unscrupulous seller could then advertise as "certified, just needs re-certification" Suspect that in Dixon's case the tag was removed when they did the modification and then reapplied. Seems like just a silly oversight in which case NHRA over-reacted, which makes me wonder if there's not some animosity between Dixon and NHRA. In any case the car had never been submitted for tech at a NHRA event. What's next? NHRA start giving suspensions ala NFL for violating some 'personal conduct policy'?
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #13
pmrphil

Liked 248 Times in 107 Posts

Ever try to remove and reapply an SFI sticker? Good luck. When you remove them, it shows "void" in the remains. Anything is possible, but I would be hard pressed to believe Dixon R&R'd an expired sticker, for any reason. I'd have to think it just wasn't removed when the mods to the chassis were done.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #14
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts
Question Re: Dixon Suspension

A slight touch off topic, however I was at a race a few years ago and a racer crashed hard into the wall. When his car was returned, to his pit area, a track official immediately came over and removed his cert. sticker. Is that a normal procedure ? Should add the cars front end was bent up pretty bad.

Last edited by Tim H; 11-10-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #15
SSDA Hemi

Liked 428 Times in 66 Posts

Watch the video, He made test passes WITH a passenger

This is more than an expired sticker on a show car. This is a Top Fuel car with a passenger. Anyone can point me to the SFI spec for that?

Maybe if there was no video of the car making passes I could see this being excessive, but he made test passes with a passenger and ran it at a NHRA and IHRA track.

I surely hope NHRA doesn't jump on this bandwagon. National events are enough of a circuis already. I wanted to puke at the 2 seat S/C giving passengers an "experience". at the summernats a few years back. This is even worse.....
Old 11-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #16
Steve Polhill

Liked 262 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDA Hemi View Post
Watch the video, He made test passes WITH a passenger

This is more than an expired sticker on a show car. This is a Top Fuel car with a passenger. Anyone can point me to the SFI spec for that?

Maybe if there was no video of the car making passes I could see this being excessive, but he made test passes with a passenger and ran it at a NHRA and IHRA track.
A chassis certification is only concerned with the cockpit, I doubt the number of cockpits makes any difference to the SFI spec. If both meet spec I don't see the issue. NHRA or IHRA has never been concerned with what was ahead of my feet or behind my head when certifying our chassis.

The entire video is shot at Palm Beach which is an IHRA track. What happens at an IHRA track is none of NHRA's business. It made test passes at an NHRA track that is true.

You don't see an indefinite ban being excessive? Banned for life for doing something different at another sanctioning bodies track?

In the interview with Larry, NHRA was fully aware of what he was doing, and was excited about the idea. I'm wondering if it had something to due with the Traxxas on the side of the car.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #17
SSDA Hemi

Liked 428 Times in 66 Posts

Steve, how the driver cockpit ties into the passenger cockpit is definitely not standard construction. I would seriosly think it needed to be reviewed and approved by SFI and a cert issued. Dixon knew this as he had computer modeling done prior to any modifications. Also the wheelbase is obviously stretched beyond 300" as it was originally Bob Vandergriffs old Hadman car, modified by McKinney, not all brand new pipe.

As far as his lifetime suspension, I don't believe that will be upheld. Kiss and make up and swept under the rug. NHRA will want a piece of this $$$

Maybe NHRA saw the video of Larry making passes with a passenger at an IHRA track, also he was scolded by NHRA earlier this year for promoting an IHRA race on the side of his dragster, and lastly, now he has Traxxas plastered on the side of this car... $$$. Is Larry friends with Mike Dunn??? NHRA Brass worried Larry will take Traxxas and his circuis act to the other circuis?? Don't know and don't care. I go to the races to race, not put the show on
Old 11-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #18
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,449 Times in 1,694 Posts
Question Re: Dixon Suspension

Surprised this thread hasn't been moved to The Lounge
Old 11-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #19
CMcAllister

Liked 745 Times in 206 Posts

Somewhere in one of the interviews or stories, I believe it was stated that, at this time, LD's insurance company mandated the car not go further than 330' under power with a rider in it. I suppose if someone wants to pony up 10K for a 2.3 second ride, Larry would be happy to take his money. No reason he can't run it. He just can't show up at an NHRA facility.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:07 AM   #20
Steve Stasko

Liked 230 Times in 121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcAllister View Post
Somewhere in one of the interviews or stories, I believe it was stated that, at this time, LD's insurance company mandated the car not go further than 330' under power with a rider in it. I suppose if someone wants to pony up 10K for a 2.3 second ride, Larry would be happy to take his money. No reason he can't run it. He just can't show up at an NHRA facility.
The 330' thing came from the link that was posted on another site for a totally different two-seat Top Fuel thrill ride in New Zealand...
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote