Liked 73 Times in 14 Posts
Default Re: Dixon Suspension

NHRA = Never Help Racers Anytime
Stan Hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #22
Kevin Panzino

Liked 550 Times in 106 Posts

Gents I realize some of you would always like any opportunity to bash NHRA, but I do see their position on this.

You have to remember the chassis cert sticker is a formal, certified document which indicates the component has met proper standards of manufacture. Their cert program is likely underwritten by an insurer and there are very strict rules regarding this. They could lose their entire certification program and/or policy coverage for something like this.

Let me give you an example. Boiler or pressure vessel certifications. Very serious business. Imagine someone doing substantial modifications to a boiler and leaving the current boiler inspection certificate in place. What do you think ASME, the Dept of Labor and Industry, and Hartford Steam Boiler Ins. co would think about that?

Another example: The elevator certification document you see in posted an elevator cab. Imagine modifying the elevator, and just leaving the current certificate posted. Regardless of how well the modification was done, that certificate is no longer valid and is fraudulent by being in place. Not to mention the grief the inspector who's name is on that cert would have to go through until it was determined the mods were done after he inspected it, not before.

I know you think "its just a sticker" but what it legally represents is the issue.
Kevin Panzino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #23

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
A slight touch off topic, however I was at a race a few years ago and a racer crashed hard into the wall. When his car was returned, to his pit area, a track official immediately came over and removed his cert. sticker. Is that a normal procedure ? Should add the cars front end was bent up pretty bad.
Yes
1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:09 AM   #24
pmrphil

Liked 247 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Panzino View Post
Gents I realize some of you would always like any opportunity to bash NHRA, but I do see their position on this.

You have to remember the chassis cert sticker is a formal, certified document which indicates the component has met proper standards of manufacture. Their cert program is likely underwritten by an insurer and there are very strict rules regarding this. They could lose their entire certification program and/or policy coverage for something like this.

Let me give you an example. Boiler or pressure vessel certifications. Very serious business. Imagine someone doing substantial modifications to a boiler and leaving the current boiler inspection certificate in place. What do you think ASME, the Dept of Labor and Industry, and Hartford Steam Boiler Ins. co would think about that?

Another example: The elevator certification document you see in posted an elevator cab. Imagine modifying the elevator, and just leaving the current certificate posted. Regardless of how well the modification was done, that certificate is no longer valid and is fraudulent by being in place. Not to mention the grief the inspector who's name is on that cert would have to go through until it was determined the mods were done after he inspected it, not before.

I know you think "its just a sticker" but what it legally represents is the issue.
You have to keep in mind that this was a 2 year EXPIRED sticker. If any of your examples displayed an expired certification, they are still NOT valid, just as Dixon's was not valid, it was just not removed. You don't remove your SFI sticker as soon as it's expired, do you? None of us do, it just causes grief with the inspector. What his intent may have been, we don't know.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #25
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,774 Times in 1,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrphil View Post
You have to keep in mind that this was a 2 year EXPIRED sticker. If any of your examples displayed an expired certification, they are still NOT valid, just as Dixon's was not valid, it was just not removed. You don't remove your SFI sticker as soon as it's expired, do you?
Ya know, you bring up a good point. He was suspended for NOT removing an expired sticker and yet he would be in trouble if he removed the same sticker!?! I'd love to see the NHRA's legal teams explanation for this.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #26
Crew Chief

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Discounting the runs at an IHRA track, what ET and MPH did he run at the NHRA track?

The NHRA rule book back in the general regulations section 20 on page 46 there is a paragraph covering this situation.

<10.9 OCCUPANTS No more than one person is permitted in any car during a run, except one co-driver permitted in 14 seconds (8.60 1/8 mile) and slower ET cars....>

BTW, if he wants to call his two passenger dragster an ET car, then he has to stop using nitromethane for fuel as that is not permitted in the ET category.

Maybe it could be called an Exhibition Vehicle. That is covered in section 19 of the rule book where it says.... "As not all concepts are accepted, proposals and inquires should be forwarded to the NHRA Technical Services Department before beginning construction." That statement says the Tech Dept has to okay the build, not higher up bigwigs who think it is a good PR project.

Looks like Dixon broke the rule at an NHRA track. Will the rule get changed to allow passengers in a Top Fuel type car? Who knows?
Crew Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:06 PM   #27
bubski

Liked 186 Times in 63 Posts

Bottom line !! NHRA is a bunch of vindictive F##@s !!! Dixon got hosed !! And all their formalities why he got boned is just lip service . Like they care about tech and how legal your car is as they streamline tech into checking if your car has 4 wheels and a drivers seat !! give me a break !!
bubski is offline   Reply With Quote