Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,006 Times in 1,223 Posts
Default Our Military - Their Race Cars

Hey everyone,

Yesterday I was thinking about our veterans and our current men and women that serve in the military. Without them we would not be able to do what we do. I thought it would be great to do a story on the veterans and the current service members that drag race. It does not matter what car, what class, if you have a race car or raced in the past, I would like to hear from you. I have met many racers that have served our country and it always humbles me to be in their company. The respect I have for them is immense, and I never seem to have the right words to express my thanks when talking to them.

I would like to mention just a few of them, even though they would probably rather me not say anything.

Richard Adkins is one of racers I came to know and respect, not only because of his service, but his genuine kindness and thoughts for others, he is a good man. Some of you may know him, he used to race a beautiful white 67 Shelby here in Div 1, It was such a cool car. Richard is a veteran and did more than his share of duty in Iraq. I hope Richard comes back and races with us someday, they were good times, even when the times were not so good.

Bob Bender, he currently races here in Div 1, and is a member of Class Racer. He races a big old Chevy white wagon. Bob was a combat soldier that served in Vietnam, and though he does not talk about it much, you can see the pride he has for the service he has done for his country and his fellow soldier. He is a great guy and always has a good word and a smile on his face. I for one look forward to seeing him at the races. He usually gets to the races early as do I, and when I see him I know all is right with the world. He will get mad at me for saying this, but I will anyway. Bob earned a Bronze Star in Vietnam, he is a humble man and a very good man.

Nick Reiter, what can I say about Nick. He is as colorful as his car, the car he has had since it was new. A 1971 Charger 440 Six Pac R/T in Citron Yella, yup that’s the color. Nick is a Vietnam vet and served as a combat soldier. You can ask him anything about his service and is more than willing to talk about it. He is also very humble about his service and tells me I just did what I did, and got through it. A good man and a good friend.

These three men have my utmost respect and I am honored and blessed to have been able to know and race with them.

If your served or are currently serving, please send me a photo of you car and of you, and a few words about the car and yourself. You deserve the respect and recognition that you have earned. You can also post here if you like.

kenmiele@classracer.com
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts
Default Re: Our Military - Their Race Cars

Awesome Idea Ken. Those are some great guys you are talking about right there and many more that race among us. Happy Veterans Day and thanks for your service.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,605 Times in 1,288 Posts

Here in D 3 we have been blessed to race with Vietnam Vet Bill Rink. COLORFUL does not begin to describe BIll and his wheel standing 74 GTO.....OH, the stories we could share about Bill.....Thank You for your service.....
MR DERBY CITY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #4
Ken Kopecky

Liked 271 Times in 53 Posts

Let us not forget George Cottell! A retired Marine. He may not be racing anymore but most of our Div 1 racers will always remember his Olds Cutlass and the very colorfully painted Stars and Stripes 69 Camaro. Richard, Bob, Nick, George and all the many other Veterans - Thank you for your service. God bless you all.

Ken Kopecky
1454 E/SA
Ken Kopecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

Thank you to all our service members
Mike A114
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #6
A/SA Fairlane

Liked 53 Times in 18 Posts

Mr Cotells stars and stripes car will always stick out in my mind
A/SA Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:26 PM   #7
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Great thread Ken, I am forever grateful to these men and others like them. Bob has became a good friend to us and we thoroughly enjoy coming north because of Bob and others. Thank you to all of you and would love to hear more of these stories!
Old 11-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #8
SSGN

Liked 130 Times in 46 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Our Military - Their Race Cars

Great thread Ken. Looking forward to hearing from the people that I respect more than anyone.

Kevin
SSGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #9
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 778 Times in 175 Posts

Bill Belden is a Vietnam vet. I believe Mike Farrell is an Air Force vet. Thanks to all vets for their service.

Last edited by Bob Don; 11-12-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Bob Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:43 PM   #10

Liked 529 Times in 116 Posts

Don't forget Fred Elisass,the Sarge. Thanks to all of the men and women who have served our nation.
4543 is offline   Reply With Quote