HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #11
Tom O

Liked 134 Times in 31 Posts
Default Re: Our Military - Their Race Cars

I'm willing to to bet there are hundred's of Vet's racing NHRA sportsman classes. Stock D1 also has Ed Bednaz, Thank you ALL for your service!
Tom O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:25 PM   #12
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

I served in the Marine Corps, my dad served in the Marine Corps and my grandpa served in the US Army in WW II in France. I have his 3 bronze Stars.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #13
jimmyparker

Liked 225 Times in 71 Posts

My Grandfather served in WWI, my Dad served in WWII, I served in '66 & '67 and my brother was killed in Viet Nam on June 6, 1969, the 25th anniversary of D-Day. He would have been 71 this month.
jimmyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-13-2017, 12:07 AM   #14
John Bender

Liked 58 Times in 11 Posts

Ken, thanks for thinking of veteran racers. I served in Viet Nam while in the Navy. There are several other D-1 racers that are Viet Nam vets, and one I know from the west coast.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:16 AM   #15
drag junkie

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks Ken, I'm a long time reader of the forum but never posted until now. I was a chopper pilot in Vietnam, served 6 yrs in the Army. Don't like to blow my horn but very proud of my service. Seems vets are finally getting recognition that we didn't get in the day. Raced nostalgia S/S with a 65 Dodge I bought from Roger Lindamood, that was like his 64 "Color Me Gone" car.
THANKS AGAIN!!!

Vic Raupe
NHRA R494
drag junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #16
JCChildress

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I served four years in the Marine Corps. My dad is a Marine Corps, Vietnam Vet. My grandfather was a Marine also, as were all of my uncles but one. Several cousins also. The Marine Corps is a family tradition I suppose. I bracket raced for years, and have been building a Chevy II to run in SS/F. Its been a long process but should be out in 2018. I also worked for Sox & Martin on the Pro Stock truck team and helped Ronnie a good bit with match racing. I really enjoyed that and have been very blessed. My daily job is working at Kowalsky Racing Engines. Proud to have served this country and would do it again in a heartbeat. God Bless the USA
JCChildress is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #17
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 646 Times in 207 Posts
Cool Re: Our Military - Their Race Cars

Thank all of you very much. Sounds like the military was a family tradition for many of you! I signed up for the draft when I turned 18 in 1972, was attending Pasadena City College and was closed 1-H, then a standby draft lottery was taken the following year, and I was #22. I immediately got new draft cards recalled as 1-A, but the draft expired shortly afterwards. You guys that went and served are a real special group of great Americans. The stories drag racers tell are pretty amazing, just add military stories and the material for discussion increases immensely. Thanks again for your service.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #18
Ron Ortiz

Liked 255 Times in 87 Posts

I enlisted in the Air Force in 1966 upon graduation from Carol City High School in Miami FL. Wanted to join to see aircraft. Went to basic training in Lackland TX. Then to a Navy base in Oxnard CA, then an Army base in Pensacola FL and off to beautiful Viet Nam. Was attached to 7th Pacific Air Force, and visited Pleiku, Bien Hoa and Cam Rahn Bay, but was never on an Air Force base, never got to see planes except in the sky. Went back to the states and was told to wait for my discharge papers at home as they had no need for equipment operators at Homestead Air Force base. Several months later received my discharge papers. Still, no planes. Have no regrets serving my country, would do it again.

Other racers that I know who served, Daran & Daryl Summerton, Bruce Fulper and Bill Grubbs, know there are many more. Thank you all for your service.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #19
Ron Ortiz

Liked 255 Times in 87 Posts

I would also like to add, if any young man or woman comes out of high school and is really not sure of what to do with their lives, the military is a sure bet to be a better person overall. It is real, growing up fast, learning to take care of yourself and others, to take responsibility, to learn, to be a better person mentally and physically. It is an experience that changes you for the better. I encourage young people to join and be a big part in America's future. It is an adventure.

Ron Ortiz
U/SA proud to be an American.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:28 AM   #20
midnightbluS10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe there's a series that caters to veterans. I know they work with a veterans group and donate money, etc... I'll see if I can find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Miele View Post
Hey everyone,

Yesterday I was thinking about our veterans and our current men and women that serve in the military. Without them we would not be able to do what we do. I thought it would be great to do a story on the veterans and the current service members that drag race. It does not matter what car, what class, if you have a race car or raced in the past, I would like to hear from you. I have met many racers that have served our country and it always humbles me to be in their company. The respect I have for them is immense, and I never seem to have the right words to express my thanks when talking to them.

I would like to mention just a few of them, even though they would probably rather me not say anything.

Richard Adkins is one of racers I came to know and respect, not only because of his service, but his genuine kindness and thoughts for others, he is a good man. Some of you may know him, he used to race a beautiful white 67 Shelby here in Div 1, It was such a cool car. Richard is a veteran and did more than his share of duty in Iraq. I hope Richard comes back and races with us someday, they were good times, even when the times were not so good.

Bob Bender, he currently races here in Div 1, and is a member of Class Racer. He races a big old Chevy white wagon. Bob was a combat soldier that served in Vietnam, and though he does not talk about it much, you can see the pride he has for the service he has done for his country and his fellow soldier. He is a great guy and always has a good word and a smile on his face. I for one look forward to seeing him at the races. He usually gets to the races early as do I, and when I see him I know all is right with the world. He will get mad at me for saying this, but I will anyway. Bob earned a Bronze Star in Vietnam, he is a humble man and a very good man.

Nick Reiter, what can I say about Nick. He is as colorful as his car, the car he has had since it was new. A 1971 Charger 440 Six Pac R/T in Citron Yella, yup that’s the color. Nick is a Vietnam vet and served as a combat soldier. You can ask him anything about his service and is more than willing to talk about it. He is also very humble about his service and tells me I just did what I did, and got through it. A good man and a good friend.

These three men have my utmost respect and I am honored and blessed to have been able to know and race with them.

If your served or are currently serving, please send me a photo of you car and of you, and a few words about the car and yourself. You deserve the respect and recognition that you have earned. You can also post here if you like.

kenmiele@classracer.com

They'll be at Yellowbullet.com Nationals for 2018. Warriors Racing. They do something with the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

http://www.warriorsraceteam.com

http://specialops.org

Quote:
WARRIORS OUTLAW RACE TEAM

A drag race team racing to promote awareness of the SOWF. 10.5 OPS WARRIORS Consist of Fords, Mopars and GM cars.Engines: Small Blocks, Big Blocks with Carburetors, Nitrous Oxide, Turbos, Blowers, Fuel Injection and Pro Chargers

We have race cars to root for both old and new. Fire breathing wheel-standing fun on a 1/8 mile race track at speeds over 170 mph. Under 5 seconds and most importantly they race to promote awareness for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. So please come out and support our cause and enjoy a great show of fast side by side racing in the mid Atlantic area.

The Warriors Race Team is proud to promote and help raise awareness for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. The S.O.W.F. provides full scholarships to surviving children of fallen Army, Navy, Air Force Marines. The scholarship funding includes tuition, Books, fee's and room / board.
SOWF provides immediate financial assistance to special operations personnel severely wounded in the global war on terror.

Once notified of a special operations soldier, airman, sailor, or Marine hospitalized with a severe injury, SOWF immediately sends a $3,000 grant to the service member (or his/her designated recipient) so the family and loved ones can travel to be at their bedside. These funds are often used to reduce the burden of unexpected expenses such as airfare, pet care, child care, rental cars, etc.

To date, the Special Operations Warrior Foundation has provided $1.9 million to wounded special operations personnel and their families.

Last edited by midnightbluS10; 11-14-2017 at 05:35 AM.
midnightbluS10 is offline   Reply With Quote