HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 12-02-2021, 07:27 PM   #1
Maverick

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Default Motor oils

Putting my motor together, and thinking about changing to all synthetic oil. It is a small block Ford, with aluminum rods, that tries to run in super gas. Be using Valvoline 20-50, mineral motor oil , but considering going to full synthetic 20-50. Asking forhelp
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:24 AM   #2
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 179 Times in 77 Posts
Default Re: Motor oils

Being a former Comp Eliminator racer, I've run the gambit of the plethora of 0 weight race oils, full synthetics, looking for that elusive hundredth or two.. to the point of breaking stuff..

In my BBC Super Gas motors, I've always run a full racing synthetic.. either Amsoil 10-40 or Lucas 10-40.. they both have a high zinc content, and I haven't had any parts failures in at least a decade.. because Lucas Oil is at every one of the races I attend, that's what I use.. they support us, I support them..

Many guys that I race with opt for the 20-50 full racing synthetics, but not being able to get Comp completely out of my head, lighter is better, IN MY MIND.. some guys just go to Auto Zone, and use the shelf brand of their liking.. those are the guys that usually say, "It's Super Gas, what do you really need??".. it's personal choice, but there are things in oils that may save you some money down the road...

Talk to fellow racers, and engine builders that actually do Super motors.. and don't forget to ask about oil filters, cause there are BIG differences there too..
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:31 AM   #3
SGSST109E

Liked 124 Times in 58 Posts

If your going with Valvoline use VR1 it has a good zinc package. I use 20 -50 in my 565. I was using Amalie 20 50 but I did have some unusal wear on 6 intake rocker. They don't have any info posted on zinc content. I finally got it out of them 750ppm. The VR1 is 1,700ppm. Lucas has one at 3,000ppm. Since everything else in my motor was in good shape I am trying VR1 next as a change.
SGSST109E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:58 PM   #4
Craig Porter

Liked 83 Times in 24 Posts

Have used Lucas Oil 10w40 full synthetic race oil for about 5 seasons with great success. Amzol before that only problem was they removed some of the zinc in it. They came out with their Dominator race oils that solved the zinc issue . My choice is Lucas and they support our racing series
Craig Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:52 PM   #5
sst7250

Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts

My choiuce these days is Driven andf I prefer 10w30
sst7250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked