HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 07-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts
Default Re: Stocker roll cage bar beyond firewall rule......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Owens View Post
That means cars that came originally equipped with a steering rack have an advantage.
Yes, they do. Build a new car!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #12
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
now there are 8 second stock eliminators, shoudnt safety be #1 priority. What is NHRAs reasoning behind not allowing roll bars to tie the complete chassis together? Firewall flex and broken trans cases can be dangerous at high speeds. Look how long it took NHRA to allow aftermarket brakes in Stock which in my opinion any component that improves safety should never be an issue. The other issue I have problem with is steering, I think rack and pinion should be allowed in all classes, to replace antique steering on most cars beside newer ones.
The Cobra Jet, COPO and DP cars, have a minimum of a 10 point cage that is good up to 8.50 seconds. Any car that exceeds 8.50 seconds, requires a SFI Spec 25.4 or 25.5 cage.

I don't understand what you mean by not allowing roll bars to tie the chassis.

You can take a roll bar and turn it into a roll cage and tie up the chassis by welding it to the frame connectors in a unibody car or welding it to the actual frame in a car that has a full frame. As a matter of fact, the rules requires in cars with a full chassis, for the roll cage and/or roll bar, to be welded to the chassis.

A well designed roll cage will not require any additional tubes to go past the firewall. I have seen many cars that run faster than 8.50 seconds with a SFI Spec 25.4 or 25.5 cage without any additional tubes past the firewall.

By the way, a well built roll cage, can improve the performance of the car.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:44 AM   #13
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 919 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
That means cars that came originally equipped with a steering rack have an advantage.
Just curious as to what advantage a newer car that came with a rack & pinion steering system has that can be atributed to the steering rack, besides weight? Personally I have seen too many cobbled together rack installations in cars that origionally came with steering boxes , all in the interest of weight, space packaging, or because its "trick", with no thought given to toe change during suspension travel, bump steer, or other geometry issues. Frankly I would feel safer in a 40 year old factory engineered steering box setup in the car that was so equipped from Detroit, than some junkyard rack unit scabbed into the same car. If you are so concerned about the percieved dangers of all the dangerous "antique" factory stuff failing from age, maybe you need to either buy a new Stocker, or buy a Super Gas/Super Street full tube chassis, so you won`t be concerned about all this worn out dangerous factory installed metal. I can see it now, they allow racks, and then some people will be whining that they need to have new fabricated tube front frame rails to make it fit properly. Then they will need hand fabricated aluminum special oil pans to clear the rack. Of course new billet titanium spindles and coil over shocks would be "better" as they are purpose built and free of years of driving stress,....where does it all end? If you really feel that a rack is such a major advantage, then build a car that was factory equipped with one. I`m sure the guys racing 390/427/428 Ford unibody cars wish they didn`t have those damn shock towers in the way, same with early Novas. I bet more than a few MoPar racers wish they didn`t have to deal with the front torsion bars too. Point is, all cars have some pluses and minuses in their factory issued equipment, thats part of the challenge of the game. Besides, if NHRA doesn`t think the average racer is cabable enough to build their own header collector retaining devices, not much chance we could fabricate our own steering systems, right? As fas as I`m concerned, NHRA has already allowed far too much aftermarket lightweight (oops, I meant SAFER more modern equipment) in the class as it is.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:18 AM   #14
Billy Nees
VIP Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bravo!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:07 AM   #15
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bravo!
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #16
Paul Merolla

Liked 230 Times in 56 Posts

Well said, Rory!!!!!!
Paul Merolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:41 PM   #17
Bill Diehl

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
Just curious as to what advantage a newer car that came with a rack & pinion steering system has that can be atributed to the steering rack, besides weight? Personally I have seen too many cobbled together rack installations in cars that origionally came with steering boxes , all in the interest of weight, space packaging, or because its "trick", with no thought given to toe change during suspension travel, bump steer, or other geometry issues. Frankly I would feel safer in a 40 year old factory engineered steering box setup in the car that was so equipped from Detroit, than some junkyard rack unit scabbed into the same car. If you are so concerned about the percieved dangers of all the dangerous "antique" factory stuff failing from age, maybe you need to either buy a new Stocker, or buy a Super Gas/Super Street full tube chassis, so you won`t be concerned about all this worn out dangerous factory installed metal. I can see it now, they allow racks, and then some people will be whining that they need to have new fabricated tube front frame rails to make it fit properly. Then they will need hand fabricated aluminum special oil pans to clear the rack. Of course new billet titanium spindles and coil over shocks would be "better" as they are purpose built and free of years of driving stress,....where does it all end? If you really feel that a rack is such a major advantage, then build a car that was factory equipped with one. I`m sure the guys racing 390/427/428 Ford unibody cars wish they didn`t have those damn shock towers in the way, same with early Novas. I bet more than a few MoPar racers wish they didn`t have to deal with the front torsion bars too. Point is, all cars have some pluses and minuses in their factory issued equipment, thats part of the challenge of the game. Besides, if NHRA doesn`t think the average racer is cabable enough to build their own header collector retaining devices, not much chance we could fabricate our own steering systems, right? As fas as I`m concerned, NHRA has already allowed far too much aftermarket lightweight (oops, I meant SAFER more modern equipment) in the class as it is.
If its a front steer car not much...if its a rear steer converted to a rack out in front lots.

There ya have it...I would like a rack out in front on mine too....but...hey wait, but I have got a 25.3 cage also.

Some of you guys have got to realize that there are "dual" purpose cars that are built out there, while they do fit into various NHRA "stock" eliminator classes they also are built to run with "big" power in many of the so called stock suspension "street" racing events across the country.

There can be a happy medium, just something for the purists to ponder

Last edited by Bill Diehl; 07-31-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Bill Diehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:14 PM   #18
kansas stocker

Liked 223 Times in 43 Posts

Some of you might remember Pappy Welds sprint car from the '60s that 2 or three drivers died in and the car still looked good. Stronger than most bridges and no crumple area. If you don't feel safe in your stocker build a super stocker.
My $.02.
Pete
kansas stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:45 PM   #19
Karl Owens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post

Thats easy for you to say because you have a 1985 Mustang which was equipped with rack and pinion steering since 1974. The first GM rear wheel drive car to have rack and pinion was the 93 Camaro/Firebird, the first rear wheel drive Mopar to have a steering rack was the Dakota truck in 87. I have a 92 Firebird which has stock type steering but heavily modified for oil pan clearance and has a 40 year old Vega steering box. My car exceeds 160 MPH in the quarter. I have personally witnessed 3 steering boxes break after coming down from a big wheelie. Ive never seen a rack break. If I did switch to a rack, I would make sure it was the correct width and make sure the bump steer was right. Steering and brakes are safety items and there should be no rules that compromise safety. NHRA allows aftermarket brakes which is far more of a performance enhancement than a steering system. Allowing front frame rails to flex is also ignoring safety.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:57 PM   #20
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
I have a 92 Firebird which has stock type steering but heavily modified for oil pan clearance and has a 40 year old Vega steering box. My car exceeds 160 MPH in the quarter. I have personally witnessed 3 steering boxes break after coming down from a big wheelie.
OK, so put a STOCK 88 S-10 manual box in it! You don't have to modify ANYTHING like you did to put in the Vega box(that has a reputation for breaking). You could have even used the original pitman arm! OH, it weighs 5-6 pounds more than the Vega box. So for a few pounds on the nose of YOUR car, let's change the rules for everybody!

Make tech "TECH" again!