Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-07-2024, 09:11 PM   #11
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 803 Times in 213 Posts
Default Re: Why is there no interest in all new combos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Paul, go back and re-read the "New classes in Stock" thread and you will come to the realization (as I did) that nobody cares.
Billy I suspect NHRA accountants care about the income racers bring into NHRA via Miemeberships,entry fees,money spend with NHRA advertisers and the companies brought to NHRA from racers contacts The money goes into the pot regarless of where it comes from
Old 01-07-2024, 09:21 PM   #12
Wrenchead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Besides having the money to buy a $100k stocker, young people do not have the technical skills or finances to actively campaign a stocker. I got into a discussion with an owner of a Mustang FSS/ at the Nationals. He was a Ford engineer and was explaining how complex the car was to maintain and run.

Last edited by Wrenchead; 01-07-2024 at 09:31 PM.
Wrenchead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 10:55 PM   #13
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 504 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
18 year olds today ain't working full time, many ain't working at all and they ain't interested in a car, no mind buying a new car, hell many don't even have nor want a license so your self serving rant is flawed. IMO, the NHRA has been spot on with the introduction of the Big 3 factory stock eliminator cars. No one except old men get excited about a 69 Camaro today much less a 73 Plymouth Duster. Further, a 10 second street car is the equivalent of watching paint dry today much less watching a race car run that!
You’re fun 🙄
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 11:01 PM   #14
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,063 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
Money. Younger people will be hesitant about dropping 100 k on a stocker. In some cases the factory support for parts is almost nonexistent. I’ve been trying for years to get a few spare blocks for the Dumbo car, I’m still wishing and hoping.

Among car people, disposable income is practically non existent for the majority, especially at that level. Car people are mostly blue collar, and the younger ones simply don't have the money. And it takes time and money to develop the skills and talent. Honestly, if it were not for the fact that there's literally no part on a car I can't work on and complete, I would have given up long ago. If I was buying much done other than machine work (I currently don't have access to a machine shop) I'd be completely out. As it is, I don't know if/when I'm coming back with my own ride.
Old 01-08-2024, 01:40 PM   #15
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,470 Times in 1,700 Posts

I don't necessarily believe young people don't have the skills to run NHRA S/SS, or can't learn them.
I bought my first car at 14. Joined a car club at 20. Set first Nat'l record at 25.
There are plenty of young, talented TIG welders, engine builders, painters, etc

The issue here is that NHRA let them get away while they weren't paying attention.
First there was Super Chevy, Fun Ford events. Then NMRA, NMCA, NSCA, N/SS groups, and many other drag racing sub-cultures....Power Tours, Drag Week (where they don't even drag race..Just lay down numbers. )
TV inspired Pinks, Pass Call, Outlaws, No-Prep, 10.5 this and that. 275 radials etc. etc, etc.
NHRA Class racing pre-dated all of them.
I don't have to wonder why the young folks don't have any interest in it, for the most part.

At the risk of sounding like 660Ed...Enjoy it while you can ...Going, going, g.....
Old 01-09-2024, 10:30 AM   #16
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
I don't necessarily believe young people don't have the skills to run NHRA S/SS, or can't learn them.
I bought my first car at 14. Joined a car club at 20. Set first Nat'l record at 25.
There are plenty of young, talented TIG welders, engine builders, painters, etc

The issue here is that NHRA let them get away while they weren't paying attention.
First there was Super Chevy, Fun Ford events. Then NMRA, NMCA, NSCA, N/SS groups, and many other drag racing sub-cultures....Power Tours, Drag Week (where they don't even drag race..Just lay down numbers. )
TV inspired Pinks, Pass Call, Outlaws, No-Prep, 10.5 this and that. 275 radials etc. etc, etc.
NHRA Class racing pre-dated all of them.
I don't have to wonder why the young folks don't have any interest in it, for the most part.

At the risk of sounding like 660Ed...Enjoy it while you can ...Going, going, g.....

^^ pretty much explains things ^^

When I got hooked on Class racing in the early 80's, NHRA was pretty much the only game in town.

Then came the popularity of the Super Chevy and Ford 5.0 events popping up in the early 90's and that got the attention of the younger gearheads.

Today there are so many more choices for motorsports enthusiast to chose from for their gearhead dollars.

I still love the challenge of getting max performance out of " stock " production parts. But I also understand why younger gearheads are attracted to the heads up type racing venues. Too bad there are not hardly any left at the NHRA offices that care about class racing.

Last edited by ALMACK; 01-09-2024 at 10:33 AM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 12:27 AM   #17
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 940 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
Further, a 10 second street car is the equivalent of watching paint dry today much less watching a race car run that!
Yeah, pretty tough to match the awesomeness of an engine on a stick dragster, launch for a couple of tenths, fall on it`s face, idle for a couple of seconds, that start to accelerate once again. SOOOO Thrilling!
Old 01-10-2024, 08:39 AM   #18
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,100 Times in 774 Posts

Automotive dealerships are full of young men and women that are skilled car enthusiasts who perform their own repairs.
The issue is the cost for racing S/SS.

Last edited by Frank Castros; 01-10-2024 at 03:41 PM.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-10-2024, 09:45 AM   #19
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,828 Times in 1,531 Posts

S/SS racing is as expensive/inexpensive as an individual wants to make it. If someone can't afford the expense of a "top shelf" program yet doesn't want to race on a budget then that someone doesn't want to race all that bad.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 10:46 AM   #20
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,828 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kennedy View Post
Billy I suspect NHRA accountants care about the income racers bring into NHRA via Miemeberships,entry fees,money spend with NHRA advertisers and the companies brought to NHRA from racers contacts The money goes into the pot regarless of where it comes from
Don, I'm quite certain that you know all too well that when I said "nobody cares" I meant real Racers. And I shouldn't have been so inclusive when I said it (nobody cares). I would have been better off saying that most Racers care only about their own program and in this environment, that's enough to "care" about.
I "care" as much about what the NHRA accountants "care" about as they "care" what I "care" about.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked