HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 04-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #41
600ci

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: New Eliminator proposition

try this: late model ford, mopar,chevy. 429,426,427, crate engines small blks
N/A, 3400lbs, stick no pro stock type tranmission or auto, fiberglass hood only, 9 inch tire only, 3 tenth's pro tree, call it jr pro stock
your 2 cents
600ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #42
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Corley View Post
Atlanta is the close race to me, lol. What are you building?

Edit. Just saw the Formula. Should be a great combo.

Am I wrong in believing a class like this would quickly grow in the NHRA?
NHRA Racers have a love hate with the rules. Give them a book of combinations that they think they can out wit with low hp ratings and they will enjoy being "fast". Someone else does It and it is an unfair advantage. Make the cars all the same and "it will won by MONEY". If we look at what is current in NHRA all the above is true.
Start a heads up, cheap class and gradually they will see the "light" and enjoy it. Some just hate change...because it might affect them..
From Running a Heads up S and SS series I KNOW the racers LOVE it when given a chance...(this with current cars not a change of rules)
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #43
AJ Laferty

Liked 24 Times in 9 Posts

I'm not sure I want in on this but here goes.

Some road racing groups have a power to weight ratio check. They bring a chassis dyno and a scale to the events. Without getting into all the math about areas under the power curve, that seems simple enough. Over your power to weight limit and you're done (check after the race) or you put on weight (check before the race). Part of the racing entry fee pays for the dyno pull. NASA does this for some of their classes. Could there be an opportunity here to:

1. police the HP factors?
2. create a "new eliminator" based on power (real, not imagined) and weight for heads up runs?

other ideas?

I really liked Billy's 5K claimer idea. He'd be making money hand over fist....

Jeff Laferty
Old 04-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #44
Bryan Worner

Liked 409 Times in 66 Posts

Call it Modified Eliminator. All cars with hood scoops (not original equipment), along with alterds and dragsters can run this class. Kind of like combining the current Competition Eliminator with the Modified cars that run in SS.
Bryan Worner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #45
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Guys re read the posts on Old Corvettes, Econo modified etc to see the rule set up that has worked at the local level. Needs more of you to read and support it. It is what this set of posts is asking for also.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #46
Tony Corley

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Butler View Post
Guys re read the posts on Old Corvettes, Econo modified etc to see the rule set up that has worked at the local level. Needs more of you to read and support it. It is what this set of posts is asking for also.
Guess I'll be the stubborn one now, lol. Looks to me to just be another class for old , outdated cars and technology. I'm not a young guy, but this is old man drag racing that we already did 20-30 years ago. If we want to attract new blood and new sponsorship to the NHRA, I think this is the wrong way to do it.
Tony Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #47
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Tony Good to have your input. Main reason for making a motor people could build was so that a Ford Chevy, Chrysler were all in the mix besides giving guys a chance to get their hands dirty.
I agree with the Sealed Crate deal. Hard to please the other brands too but if it got viable with Chevy they other brands could be set up also....Chevy has new Sealed Drag race 350 now also.....
Old 04-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #48
Tony Corley

But when was the last time Chevy put a 350 in a production vehicle? Chevy and Ford are already on board with the late model sealed engines, and I'm sure Chrysler would be easy enough to get to join in. The problem with "getting your hands dirty", as it were, is that is what runs the low budget guy out. Some guys are just better than others, can spend more money then others, etc. Stock Eliminator ring packages can cost north of $1000, and lifters run $1000-$1200, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Less than $7000 gets a complete, factry built and sealed, ready to race engine. Some people just don't have the time, resources to spend on every detail that it takes to build a winning engine combo. One friend of mine in NMRA spent a whole season swapping cam profiles. Tried 14 different cams, looking for a couple of horsepower. And he did when a championship that year. Silly stuff like that is where I see the advantage for sealed engines and tunes.
Then the guy getting beat knows it's not the trick of the week, and he needs to either work on the car or driver.

I think it would be really cool to see some of the older body styles with the late model engines. It gives us old guys the cars we love, the young guys the engines they love, the factories get to be involved with promoting their latest technology, and spectators and racers get to see/be involved in more Heads Up Racing. WIn/WIn for everybody.

Last edited by Tony Corley; 04-04-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:57 AM   #49
Dick Butler
VIP Member

What motor are you seeing as new and favored by YOUNG people? Sealed what?
Old 04-04-2015, 12:08 PM   #50
Tony Corley

Dick, the ones I posted links to in the earlier threads on here. The ones I listed the rules that are already in place and running. Chevrolet Performance Stock in the NMCA and Ford Coyote Stock in the NMRA. They have part numbers already listed and for sale.
For Ford, the 5.0 Coyote, for Chevrolet the DR525 LS engine. EFI engines with complete factory computer installation packages, including drive by wire throttle. Engine packages that basically come new in the Camaro and Mustang
Chrysler could easily seal one of their comparable engines, and you have a class with all 3 manufacturers involved.

Last edited by Tony Corley; 04-04-2015 at 12:13 PM.