HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
astikhossw

Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Default low budget 428 cj stocker

I have had this 428 cj car since the late eighties,and have been bracket racing it since 1998,But i would like to start racing it as a stocker and going to a few division races but don't have a zillion dollars to race on . I know i am not going to sell it or drive it on the street either.Right now it runs high 11's with 9.0 compression and a cheater cam.So what should i do to the motor to get it to run two tens under, i plan on doing the work myself I have military hobby shop avaiable to me and i have the nhra edelbrock cylinder heads on it now and motor that is it is a .060 390.So if anyone has any good recommendation it will help.Also this will be 4 speed toploader car.
astikhossw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
mtkawboy

Liked 54 Times in 18 Posts
Default Re: low budget 428 cj stocker

Low budjet stocker is whats known as an oxymoron, like miltary intelligence
mtkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for your service to our country and at least you have some resources on base for machine equipment.
I'm no FE guy but I would suggest you buy some good NHRA acceptable aftermarket rods along with NHRA acceptable 428 pistons from Diamond and get some good rings that are made for a stocker. Sources are Tri-City Competition for good / affordable rings. Have the block decked to specs and honed.
This will get you the favorable 2.100" rod journal, rods that live and pistons / rings that seal. Make sure the heads are in line with specs including your cam.
Purchase a Sportsman single 10" to save the trans from destruction while you save for a Jerico.
Go racing and whatever it runs, is what it will run. The fast stuff is VERY expensive. I think this will be as cheap as possible and you should have fun.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
Bob Pagano
VIP Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

I am guessing you have a 69 Mustang, it can run the 390 or 428. You can go to the nhra site and look under competition and down load the blueprint and class guide for 69 ford. In them it tells you what head #s are legal and all the legal spec's for each combo. Start there, everything you need to know is in there. Nhra accepted products gives you lists of legal replacement rods and pistons. There are lots of guys on here running those combos, I am sure they will chime in. Have fun, bp
Old 07-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Save a big chunk for headers. My engine builder said I would be wasting all my engine money if I used less than the 2" header. He also said he had tested the 2 1/8" and found very little increase in hp. I have a old set of Hookers I will start out with until I can afford the custom ones. FE's like to breath.

Steve
CycloneFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
astikhossw

Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts

Do any of the fe stocker guys run or have run the scj bottom end (meaning lemans rods and crank) set-up because that is what i have.Also who should i talk with for the cam and lifters.I remember a guy from california named Bob Hester told me to talk with someone in colorado but i lost his phone number.
astikhossw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
Mike Gray

Liked 498 Times in 134 Posts

Go to the FE forum and ask away. (you will find a lot of good reading and feadback)
http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/
Mike Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
Rusty2211

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, get in touch with Blair Patrick (captcj@hughes.net). He's forgotten more about FE's than most have ever known and he's not even that old (lol). I've been running one of these cars for about 20 years and can also help get you started. I remember when I got started I asked a million questions and I'm sure some guys got tired of me calling. Thanks to guys like Steve Bramlett and Steve Walton, I was able to piece some stuff together and get started.
Rusty (rejohnsoninc@gmail.com)
Rusty2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astikhossw View Post
Do any of the fe stocker guys run or have run the scj bottom end (meaning lemans rods and crank) set-up because that is what i have.Also who should i talk with for the cam and lifters.I remember a guy from california named Bob Hester told me to talk with someone in colorado but i lost his phone number.
I seriously doubt it. Sell those parts to the collectors to fund your project. And don't forget to hard-Block those thin walled blocks!
If I were on a budget, I would spend more on what's behind the engine.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
John Presing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i have lots of older stocker parts from my cobrajet call me if your still looking for some pieces call 973 427 3673 john c/s 1428
John Presing is offline   Reply With Quote