Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-10-2024, 11:38 AM   #21
Rick J

Liked 44 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Why is there no interest in all new combos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
Yeah, pretty tough to match the awesomeness of an engine on a stick dragster, launch for a couple of tenths, fall on it`s face, idle for a couple of seconds, that start to accelerate once again. SOOOO Thrilling!
LOL

Last edited by Rick J; 01-10-2024 at 11:56 AM.
Rick J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 11:55 AM   #22
Barry Polley

Liked 562 Times in 233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
18 year olds today ain't working full time, many ain't working at all and they ain't interested in a car, no mind buying a new car, hell many don't even have nor want a license so your self serving rant is flawed. IMO, the NHRA has been spot on with the introduction of the Big 3 factory stock eliminator cars.

•No one except old men get excited about a 69 Camaro today much less a 73 Plymouth Duster. Further, a 10 second street car is the equivalent of watching paint dry today much less watching a race car run that!
I challenge you to build a stocker or Superstocker and step away from your amazingly fast keyboard. Show us how it’s done.
I take offense to your statement. So should others.

You continue to disrespect stock and Superstock racers. It took a while but you are gaining confidence here to see what you can get away with.
You don’t run stock or Superstock!

*I’ll refer to the Rayburn Rule. Look it up!
Old 01-10-2024, 01:00 PM   #23
Mike Gray

Liked 499 Times in 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
Yeah, pretty tough to match the awesomeness of an engine on a stick dragster, launch for a couple of tenths, fall on it`s face, idle for a couple of seconds, that start to accelerate once again. SOOOO Thrilling!
This is the reason I sold my super gas car to build a “slower” stocker. I’ll get the same enjoyment building and driving it as the super gas car but there is NO excitement watching that group of cars run. Super comp dragsters have to be the worst, at least the others look like cars. What really kills it is watching a group of top dragsters run how they should preform and it makes super comp look like a grown up version of jr. dragster.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:46 PM   #24
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,098 Times in 773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
S/SS racing is as expensive/inexpensive as an individual wants to make it. If someone can't afford the expense of a "top shelf" program yet doesn't want to race on a budget then that someone doesn't want to race all that bad.
Billy,
The young people I mentioned simply are not attracted to the "Dime Rockets" you race. There is nothing wrong with your choices, they just can't relate to them.
Frank
P.S., Your cars are butt ugly!
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 03:58 PM   #25
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,816 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
Billy,
The young people I mentioned simply are not attracted to the "Dime Rockets" you race. There is nothing wrong with your choices, they just can't relate to them.
Frank
P.S., Your cars are butt ugly!
Frank, again I will say if a young person wants to race badly enough then that young person will race whatever he or she can afford to race.
Billy
P.S., a hammer is a hammer, I've never known a pretty hammer to do a better job than an ugly hammer. The only thing that changes is the size of the ego swinging it.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 04:51 PM   #26
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 405 Times in 194 Posts

The entire conversation is moot when it shifts to “young people” AGAIN, young people, Millennials and Generation Z obviously aren’t interested in class racing regardless whether the car is a COPO or a “dime rocket”

Last edited by 1320racer; 01-10-2024 at 04:55 PM.
1320racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-10-2024, 04:56 PM   #27
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,816 Times in 1,528 Posts

"Young People" who aren't raised into or brought into it aren't interested in NHRA racing.
But again I will say, if a young person wants to race badly enough then that young person will race whatever he or she can afford to race. You can see it every weekend at Numidia, Beaver, etc,etc,....

Reality, what a concept!

Last edited by Billy Nees; 01-10-2024 at 05:01 PM.
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 05:22 PM   #28
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 405 Times in 194 Posts

That I agree with to a point
1320racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 06:39 PM   #29
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 183 Times in 79 Posts

WELL PAUL.. at the age of 69, and attending organized Drag Racing since the age of 15, I find myself looking around the staging lanes at most races and realizing that I'm actually one of the younger guys..

Many of the classes, Stock, Super Stock, and Comp Eliminator requires more than an interest in Drag Racing.. it requires mentoring, teaching, and grooming that interest..

To ask why there is no interest in new combos, one would have to ask, WHO WILL RACE THEM??
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 08:20 PM   #30
AJ Laferty

Liked 24 Times in 9 Posts

This is a great thread.

I am a class racer, just not a class drag racer. I am a class autocrosser. Now, before you scroll on, I wanted to chime in here about young racers.

There is no shortage of young class racers, just young class drag racers. I can't swing a dead cat without hitting a young person at an autocross. But, autocross is more about driver skill than making power skill. Don't get me wrong, power certainly has it's place, but a great driver in a low power car will beat a lousy driver in a high power car every time in autocross.

I think there is something to the idea that a class drag car really needs to be towed, but very few "street" (Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) equivalent to NHRA "stock") cars are towed to events. These are the same cars they commute to work/school and go on dates in. I will offer that a "street" class autocross car is pretty much a really stock car with only dampers, tires/wheels and cat back exhaust as allowed modifications. That keeps the costs a little lower i think. In drag racing, I would think the stock rule allowance creep over the years has an impact. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY talks about aftermarket lifters being allowed in "Street." The rules are just tighter and there may be an advantage there.

Young drag racers, who are towing cars, need a tow vehicle and a trailer in addition to their race car. Many young people I know live in apartments where parking a tow vehicle/trailer and race car is just not practical, even if the young folks can afford it. So, "street" class autocross works well for them. (there is no shortage of towed autocross cars, just more street driven autocross cars at events than what I see even at street class bracket racing).

So, I think part of the question that should be asked is not why aren't young people racing, they are, but what and how are they racing? The Solo (autocross) Nationals goes for 4 days and sells out at 1300+ competitors every year (sells out in hours if not minutes). Where was the last 1300 car drag race? So, there is something that is missing. (I can't even get young people to come out to street class bracket race regularly).

Oh, and SCCA national competition, there is a maximum 30 year old car rule for the "street" class. Anything older has to go up a level in modification to continue competing. This is to discourage the advantage of a "unicorn" car combination which has not been available for decades. I am aware of the penalties of rulemaking, if this were to be applied to stock drag racing-many $100K cars would become worth very little and there would be a huge argument against it. But, 40 year old cars can cost a lot of money compared to 10-20 year old cars.

Most "street" class are late models, which can be readily financed and I think there is probably some advantage there. I am not sure many late model stockers in the guide can be financed by average young people due to the cost (not to mention the insurance costs).

The final point i would like to make is there is absolutely zero expectation of winning a purse in autocross. Sure, you may win a set of tires if you win class at a national event, but that's about it. No money. No expectation of covering the cost of entry or tow gas. None of that entire conversation. It's a hobby, why would anyone expect someone else to pay for your hobby? Autocross is not a spectator event so no paying crowd in the stands---pretty much like all the s/ss events I have attended.

I didn't make this post to tout SCCA and autocrossing or bust anybody's chops, but to point out that young people are class racing, but in a different venue. Why is that? Answer that question and I think you'll be on your way to putting young butts in drag race cars.