HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-20-2024, 03:01 PM   #81
StockerStang912

Liked 11 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: The Demise Of Class Eliminations

Darren - I do think you make a lot of good points and there should be long-term concern about the viability of performance-based S/SS racing. The reduction of class events to roughly 10% of NHRA national/divisional/open events next year and less than 5% of elimination rounds likely being head-to-head (pure guesstimation) sort of leaves qualifying as the primary vehicle for trying to run fast.

I don't have a solve, but for someone on the young side of the class racer bell curve (I'm 36 and 10 years into S/SS), would strongly push to have more class runoff frequency at divisional or national opens and reduce class count so there's more opportunity for heads-up racing. Associations like CCRA are fantastic and the vast majority of what we've run due to the people and fun factor, but there's still limitation on performance since it's essentially a dial-in program.

There's plenty of younger folks involved in drag racing, and while the participation % of the population is lower than it was 50 years ago, the absolute number is there it's just not active in S/SS or NHRA in general. With multiple other mediums available to race today, it's challenging to convince someone to spend $30K+ on a 11-second Stocker that requires extensive travel to primarily bracket race when they could run 160mph in a dragster or 10s in a Drag N' Drive car.

I love class racing because of the strive for performance and hope to stay involved for the impending future, but do think it's a long transition to pure bracket racing if we don't find more opportunity to generate sustainable head-to-head competition.
Old 01-20-2024, 03:51 PM   #82
Frank B.

Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts

JMHO Class racing and event qualifying at divisionals and nationals should be no ahfs. Give people chance to run cars to potential. Ahfs would be in eliminations only. Also class at national events and divisionals would have no combo class. If you had a single for class give out a wally. I mean most people are paying $300 or so entry at nationals and a little less at divisionals that is only fair. With that being said I know there is not a chance NHRA would accept that.
Frank B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 06:01 PM   #83

Liked 927 Times in 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
How much time are we talking about? (I'm a .90's guy switching to stock) I think if it's not at least overnight I'm not getting it done in time for a round of racing. I just had a hiccup firing up my new stocker motor for the 1st time. I had a little problem with an intake gasket and let some water get into the lifter valley. Pulling the top end, valve train and intake and re-assembly (minus clean up) was a good 4hrs of work. Taking out a piston dealing with BBF headers in a 60's mustang would add about 6-7 more hours. I'm not as young as I use to be and might fall asleep under the car. LOL
Mike, std teardown nowadays is pulling a head of your choice. I haven't seen a rod and piston pulled except for a protest. As others had said, if you were chosen for teardown, I am sure there would some willing to help. If you were in D1, I know you would have help if needed, including myself, and am sure every division there are those that would jump in.

1342 SS/GT
1347 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 09:23 AM   #84
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,502 Times in 428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
I really don't understand why you guys are going out of your way to justify the NHRA's decision to drop one of the few things that make what we do stand out.
I proposed what I think is an efficient system for keeping class at nationals where they belong. It's back a few pages.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:55 AM   #85
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,827 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fazio View Post
Bring class back to nationals in a format that makes sense. Try to pick 2 nationals in each division. Have Stock class at one and Super Stock class at the other. For example, D1 Maple Grove Nationals set Stock quota at 90 and leave Super Stock at 60ish. For Epping/Virginia, take 90 Super Stockers and 60ish Stockers. Rotate them each year.

Let's say it's "Stock Class" weekend: Thursday Stock will run their 2 Q sessions and then C1 for classes with 3-4 cars, C2 for classes with 5-8 cars, C3 for classes with 9-16 cars.

Friday Stock will run all Class Finals after the other LODRS categories have run E1 and E2. Stock has rest of day off for pics, checks/teardowns etc. Saturday morning Stock first out for E1 (90 cars), other LODRS categories run E3. Then Stock runs E2.

Each LODRS category should be at 8 cars while Stock would be at 23. Mix in Stock E3 Saturday afternoon between pros to get them down to 12 cars. Sunday morning E4 Stock first out, track walk and all that jazz, and now all LODRS have 6-8 cars left and the Sunday show can go on as planned.

If a division does not have 2 nationals then rotate between a divisional and a national, or factor in JEGS or Indy where both classes run, or could also find nationals that somewhat border between 2 divisions. As long as each division gets at least one feasible shot in stock and one in super stock and at least one of those is at a traditional national event.
Good luck making this happen. It would be nice, kinda like the "old days". You are dealing with the NHRA though.
I have been hoping for the old "Tom Compton" idea to come around again.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 09:55 AM   #86
JP1738

Liked 267 Times in 89 Posts
Smile Re: The Demise Of Class Eliminations

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Just curious , how many years have you been racing in stock AND what is your combination ?? CHEERS !!!
0 years, but I just built my first stocker. Drove it for the very first time last week! It's slow and way down in the alphabet. I'm still learning how everything works frankly, I'm not even sure exactly what class it will be in as I haven't been able to weigh it yet. It's a rusty 4th generation Malibu though, I bought the car rolling and put a bone stock small block together for it that should be legal. Most likely not fast though.
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 10:08 AM   #87
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1738 View Post
0 years, but I just built my first stocker. Drove it for the very first time last week! It's slow and way down in the alphabet. I'm still learning how everything works frankly, I'm not even sure exactly what class it will be in as I haven't been able to weigh it yet. It's a rusty 4th generation Malibu though, I bought the car rolling and put a bone stock small block together for it that should be legal. Most likely not fast though.
Keep trying!

Reality, what a concept!
Old 01-22-2024, 11:00 AM   #88
JP1738

Liked 267 Times in 89 Posts
Talking Re: The Demise Of Class Eliminations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Keep trying!
I am beside myself excited. First car I've ever built that was 100% mine start to finish, and I did almost all the work to finish it. I've already learned so much just by making myself repair wiring, plumbing, going through class racer info to get legal parts. It's been so awesome. I feel like I'm starting over in drag racing and it's so refreshing. Now, to figure out how to beat somebody with it
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 11:03 AM   #89
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Now not to "derail" this important thread again, why don't you start a "build" thread!

Reality, what a concept!
Old 01-22-2024, 01:12 PM   #90
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 408 Times in 196 Posts

agree
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote