HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
Dave Casey
VIP Member

Liked 589 Times in 129 Posts
Default Re: Epping, NH NHRA divisonal

I think that New England is only contracted thru this year with IHRA.There is a real possibility that this article is accurate. My guess is that either they will just add a points meet, or they will drop one of atco's. unless another track is wanting to drop the divisional.

Tim, we went to new england,and cayuga for many years for points races,and sanair also a couple of times.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Nice track. That said, it was chock full at the last IHRA Nat'l event I attended there. Don't think they could physically handle an NHRA Nat'l. Even if the rumor was true, I wouldn't think they'd make a decision until they see how their Nitro Jam event works out for them in Sept.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #13
W J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ah, Sanair, PQ.....Great track and great fun.....wish that track was still open. Many good times up there...... WJ
W J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #14
Dave Ribeiro
VIP Member

Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Epping, NH NHRA divisonal

Bob & W J ,

It will be nice for all you guys in New England who have logged all those miles for years .. Maybe they will throw in an Open & a National Event too ......That would be great for all the Canadian racers,
who also travel many miles to races... The important thing is good racing at a Nice fast track in NE ..... LVD, will have to worry about Numidia who should be getting a Div. race..... Yes, I think it's great news and about time .... enjoy...........
Old 08-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #15
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I was at New England Dragway for an NHRA WCS event around 1978 as a spectator. Sat up on the hill overlooking the finishline area.

Raced at Cayuga a few times and also Sanair.....

Sanair was definately quite a facility and I loved it there.....

I especially liked the way the announcer would announce in both French and English......and the crowd would cheer twice as loud for anyone from the area.

Beer stand near the stands and a bar in big tower....Never saw that anywhere else.....

Warm days.....very cool nights up in the north....especially at Sanair....
Old 08-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #16
Mark Markow

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Epping, NH NHRA divisonal

i was there this past weekend , and they have created more parking area, or they are working on it. the area on the left going down the return has been leveled from the overflow parking area all the way to existing pits that ended about where the scales are. so now the pits will go almost to the end of the shutdown area. hopefully they will plant grass or something to keep the dust down. right now it's just a flat dirt lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
Nice track. That said, it was chock full at the last IHRA Nat'l event I attended there. Don't think they could physically handle an NHRA Nat'l. Even if the rumor was true, I wouldn't think they'd make a decision until they see how their Nitro Jam event works out for them in Sept.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:08 AM   #17
W J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Joe Lombardo, manager of the Epping track is a good, no BS man.... He has kept making improvements up there. Track, pits and surrounding areas are kept clean, w/nice rest rooms and respectable concession stands. It's fast, for me usually a full tenth quicker than LVD...(just barely above sea-level) hooks good, and has a plenty long shut down area. It's close to major highways and has a major state summer recreation area (Hampton Beach, NH) close by... I wish Joe Lombardo and New England Dragway continued success up there...they work hard to make it a top notch facility, and it is.

Warren Lederer. WJ
W J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:22 AM   #18
daninline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Markow View Post
i was there this past weekend , and they have created more parking area, or they are working on it. the area on the left going down the return has been leveled from the overflow parking area all the way to existing pits that ended about where the scales are. so now the pits will go almost to the end of the shutdown area. hopefully they will plant grass or something to keep the dust down. right now it's just a flat dirt lot.

Right now there calling that area there monster truck show grounds but it's looking very smooth for a place to have some trucks run over cars lol

We race there weekly and it was fun watching the All Star race lst weekend

Dan
daninline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #19
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 703 Times in 206 Posts
Talking Re: Epping, NH NHRA divisonal

I have'nt raced at NED in over 20 years, but my memories of going there are long bumpy rides between the cattle chutes on I 84, Christmas Tree swinging in the wind at the starting line ,and [I still have nightmares over this] The Cops confiscating all your beer at the gate!!..........Sound like some things have changed. .................Tom.............................. ..............Rich, you forgot the most entertaining things in the stands at Sanair, the girls in bikinis and hi heels, and of course, Captain Canuck!

Last edited by Tom Goldman; 08-05-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Tom Goldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #20
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

I was at NED 2 years ago for the first time for the IHRA National Event, and it struck me as a decent track. It certainly wasn't up to NHRA National Event standards, but my recollection is that it was just as good as any other track where we currently only run division events (LVD, Numidia, Cecil Country, etc.)

Personally, I think it makes geographical sense. There's a VERY large population base in MA, CT, RI, and NH, and it always struck me as odd that there wasn't at least one race in that area. I realize that the people in southeastern PA aren't exactly going to be thrilled with losing a race, but recently Division 1 has become the Southeastern PA / Northern MD / Eastern NJ racing series, and you can't tell me that the Philly area can't stand to lose one race. As it stands right now, if you live in the Philly area you have 5 division events and 2 National Opens within a 2 hour drive of your house. Must be tough.

So, nobody is going to get any sympathy from me because once a year they have to get in the truck to drive 6 hours to get to a race. The CLOSEST race for those of us living in Rochester is Lebanon Valley which is a 4 hour drive. In Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and anything West of Toronto you're actually better off racing Division 3 (which is also why I believe we have such a large IHRA following in Western NY & PA, and Canada).

Granted, I realize in the general vicinity of Philly you're also drawing from the major metropolitan areas of Baltimore, DC, and NYC. But, there's a pretty large population base in the Northeast that is outside of that area too. Maybe NHRA needs to create a new division for everything 2 hours outside of Philly (I'm half-joking here)...

Last edited by Jason Oldfield; 08-05-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Corrected my geographical locations...
Jason Oldfield is offline   Reply With Quote