HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #11
joe176

Liked 41 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: Some Englishtown observations.

Great post Billy ... on point once again !!!!!!
Old 09-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #12
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,789 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Matyas View Post
I agree Billy -
I know you're not a fan of the High HP cars
.As for the money - even if you doubled the purse it wouldn't change much - same racers and same cars would come .
Jack, I've known you since I was in my teens. Are you sure that you agree with me? That would be a first!
I LOVE the HIGH HP cars. I don't like their LOW HP factors. But that being said, the 93 Camaro LT-1 was first factored at 275 HP and it's now at 358?
As for the money - even if you HALVED the purse it wouldn't change much. That's what concerns me.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #13
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 778 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
even if you HALVED the purse it wouldn't change much. That's what concerns me.
^^That's about right...

Billy - Congrats on going a bunch of rounds yesterday.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #14
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,494 Times in 426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
I like your idea better Bobby.
Let's get some money to the other loser's, cause they Do Not Get Much !!!!
We do know all of this going in, but nothing says we can't come up with our
own Enhancements..
Since i'm retired & probably (retarded lol) I have "time on my hands" to come up with
ideas, but the whole Stock Elim. Guys would have to be in agreement to put up the
extra $30.
Let The Party Begin.
I have a payout calculator spreadsheet that I can show you if you want. I came up with it when I was helping guys with practice tree races, 10k races, etc. The hard part is collecting and then keeping track of who is still in the race that was entered in the calcutta.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #15
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 400 Times in 191 Posts

I haven't raced at ETown in 6 years and it looked like they haven't put any $ into since then. Pit road had pot holes that rival NYC streets after a bad winter and the track/starting line is overdue for new concrete.

As to 9/11, I was amongst the first responders and will never forget what I saw.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:14 PM   #16
John Bender

Liked 58 Times in 11 Posts

Billy, I absolutely agree with everything you said, and you said it well. As far as the track goes. I was there the day it opened, took 4 years off to be with Uncle Sam, two of which was spent in South East Asia, came home and raced at ETown almost every weekend, in Stock and in brackets for twenty years. Took some time off from racing and came to Stock Eliminator. I now try to avoid racing at ETown because of the poor track condition and the condition of the pits. I race all of division one tracks and have seen more flat tires on Racecars at ETown than any place else. The right lane was horrible at the summer nats. and the left lane was horrible this weekend. Maybe Englishtown Raceway Park should shut down this year at the end of October when the weather is still kind of good and compleatly rebuild the bottom half of the track surface from the burnout boxes to the 1/8 mile.

As for yesterday, 9/11, I thought the invocation was excellent, and being a retired career firefighter who spent some time in New York, it did bring a tear to my eye.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:15 PM   #17
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 984 Times in 299 Posts

Another observation that was pointed out to me over the weekend was of course the lack of spectators. Now I only went on Saturday to watch due to a new job and having to watch my days off so I couldn't race. I was lucky enough that the gentlemen in front of me had an extra "$25.00 Free Carload Pass" that he accidentally picked up two at PC Richards and decided to share that with me and I got in for free thanks to Gary Richards & that Gentlemen. Now I know it was advertised by Jack on CR that this was the deal at E-Town but, not a mention on the E-town website or D-1 website about these tickets being available to the public. The biggest thing on the E-town webpage is about the Diesel Truck Nationals this weekend on Saturday. Nothing about tickets being available to the public and this person who came to talk to me this weekend made mention that there is a billboard that he always passes on the way to E-Town and when he passed it on Thursday, nothing about the "50th Anniversary LODRS" but, about the Diesel Truck Event the following weekend. I don't know what the trade off is with Gary & E-Town but, the 20 other people that sat in the stands with me to watch 1st round was pretty sad and I'd say 10 of them were racers families waiting for their team guy to race.

Now listen I know nobody wants to come see us race and their was probably more people at the drift track that night then at the drag strip but, man put a little effort into the event. I know the LODRS events at E-Town don't have Alky cars anymore but, book something to put on a show to bring people in the gates. You have some fast T/S & T/D Cars that run the times that old Pro Mods used too and E-Town was the place for Pro Mods back in the 80's & 90's. I know the curfew is a big headache for E-town thanks to the wonderful neighbors and township but, I've noticed this around most of the D-1 races I went to this year that the stands were 1/4 full. You have a sponsor who loves drag racing, races cars himself and does a ton for the racers in PC Richards and we need to capitalize on that before he says no more. Rather it be car shows the week before the LODRS at the local PC Richards stores with some cars that will be racing there or at a local restaurant (Sonic, Applebee's, Outback) . This way people can see some of the cars that are going to be there and maybe draw some interest into coming out. Utilizing the Social Media more and promoting it more and making it affordable for a family to come out. I packed my own lunch on Saturday cause I wasn't going to spend $20.00 for a Hamburger & Soda. I hate to say it but, you need to bend a little to bring in more people and not gouge their eyes out.

I know some people don't care if Don Garlits is sitting in the stands to watch us race but, to come out to empty stands makes it sound like we are just an eye sore and we are just on the schedule cause the event has been there for 50 years now.

I don't normally post about other things but, you want to listen to something great, go listen to Wes Buck of Drag Illustrated on Wednesdays at 2pm (CST) which is 3pm our time on Facebook and listen to what he has to say. He has a movement going called "Make Drag Racing Great Again" and has some awesome ideas. There is a reason that Jim Halsey can fill Cecil County for Yellow Bullet. The price to get in was reasonable and the concession stand was 30 deep with the prices being the same as they were on a regular bracket day because they didn't kill the prices because they knew it was a big crowd. Yes, it's a complete different type of racing but, you can't say Drag Racing is on the death bed we just have to start looking outside the box and thinking of new ideas or we'll all be sitting here in 15 years going "Boy that used to be fun".

Last edited by BKSG1198; 09-12-2016 at 07:18 PM.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:16 PM   #18
NHRAFAN156

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: Some Englishtown observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe176 View Post
Great post Billy ... on point once again !!!!!!

I know this is off topic. But Joe your new Camaro is Awesome. When I hit the lottery I want mine to look like yours.
NHRAFAN156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #19
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 688 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSG1198 View Post
Another observation that was pointed out to me over the weekend was of course the lack of spectators. Now I only went on Saturday to watch due to a new job and having to watch my days off so I couldn't race. I was lucky enough that the gentlemen in front of me had an extra "$25.00 Free Carload Pass" that he accidentally picked up two at PC Richards and decided to share that with me and I got in for free thanks to Gary Richards & that Gentlemen. Now I know it was advertised by Jack on CR that this was the deal at E-Town but, not a mention on the E-town website or D-1 website about these tickets being available to the public. The biggest thing on the E-town webpage is about the Diesel Truck Nationals this weekend on Saturday. Nothing about tickets being available to the public and this person who came to talk to me this weekend made mention that there is a billboard that he always passes on the way to E-Town and when he passed it on Thursday, nothing about the "50th Anniversary LODRS" but, about the Diesel Truck Event the following weekend. I don't know what the trade off is with Gary & E-Town but, the 20 other people that sat in the stands with me to watch 1st round was pretty sad and I'd say 10 of them were racers families waiting for their team guy to race.

Now listen I know nobody wants to come see us race and their was probably more people at the drift track that night then at the drag strip but, man put a little effort into the event. I know the LODRS events at E-Town don't have Alky cars anymore but, book something to put on a show to bring people in the gates. You have some fast T/S & T/D Cars that run the times that old Pro Mods used too and E-Town was the place for Pro Mods back in the 80's & 90's. I know the curfew is a big headache for E-town thanks to the wonderful neighbors and township but, I've noticed this around most of the D-1 races I went to this year that the stands were 1/4 full. You have a sponsor who loves drag racing, races cars himself and does a ton for the racers in PC Richards and we need to capitalize on that before he says no more. Rather it be car shows the week before the LODRS at the local PC Richards stores with some cars that will be racing there or at a local restaurant (Sonic, Applebee's, Outback) . This way people can see some of the cars that are going to be there and maybe draw some interest into coming out. Utilizing the Social Media more and promoting it more and making it affordable for a family to come out. I packed my own lunch on Saturday cause I wasn't going to spend $20.00 for a Hamburger & Soda. I hate to say it but, you need to bend a little to bring in more people and not gouge their eyes out.

I know some people don't care if Don Garlits is sitting in the stands to watch us race but, to come out to empty stands makes it sound like we are just an eye sore and we are just on the schedule cause the event has been there for 50 years now.

I don't normally post about other things but, you want to listen to something great, go listen to Wes Buck of Drag Illustrated on Wednesdays at 2pm (CST) which is 3pm our time on Facebook and listen to what he has to say. He has a movement going called "Make Drag Racing Great Again" and has some awesome ideas. There is a reason that Jim Halsey can fill Cecil County for Yellow Bullet. The price to get in was reasonable and the concession stand was 30 deep with the prices being the same as they were on a regular bracket day because they didn't kill the prices because they knew it was a big crowd. Yes, it's a complete different type of racing but, you can't say Drag Racing is on the death bed we just have to start looking outside the box and thinking of new ideas or we'll all be sitting here in 15 years going "Boy that used to be fun".
I'd say pretty much of what you said is 100% correct about: Not advertising the race for one. Especially when P.C. Richard's is giving the tickets out for Free.
But,You have to take into consideration of the HEAT factor we had the pleasure of on Saturday. I wouldn't blame people for not coming that day, the beach or a place with A.C. on is going to entice them rather than a Hot n Steamy Race Track.

I'll bet if you had the "Street Outlaw" guys racing there (i hate to say it) the place would've seen more spectators.

I don't have the answers on how to bring in more people to watch but i did have 2 guys
come to the track with me for the first time & they were watching the Super Classes without me, they came back & said " Why Do They Get Off The Gas Then Go Again".
I tried to explain it, but i think the average person watching without knowing about Super Classes or even Stock & SS in which you can't go under, how will people know how to follow that. People usually would figure, First one to the Stripe Wins. Not the case in our classes. Now, go ahead & try and explain Comp. Elim. to people, they'd have a headache after your done explaining it.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:08 PM   #20
barnca2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I offered to try and get a car prior to the divisional at NED. I put it all over.. And not one person even contacted me. But I brought 174 kids to the track. And that was a great time. Then we put together a live show at e town for the National Event. And nhra tried to shut us down.. But they tried to call my Bluff.. And I called it back and they blinked.. One thing that was on our side was the banking of Kalitta motorsports... So I guess what I'm saying is.. Take a stand but you need to be part of the solution and not just someone who is going to talk about it.

https://www.facebook.com/WHEELZUPRADIO
barnca2010 is offline   Reply With Quote