HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-12-2016, 10:23 PM   #21
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Default Re: Some Englishtown observations.

Some observations from an old retired poop (retired from work and Stock). I did my service many moons ago (1963-65) and was really touched by the pre race invocation ( wished they would have included Lee Greenwood's song) As far as Saturday I was there from 10:30 AM till 9:00 Pm when the last pair went down. I made sure to eat lunch and dinner and drink water during the day (thanks to my friends for the bottles of water I was offered all day). If I could make it through the day It's no excuse for many others to have been there. The Stock 1st round was fantastic. I was at the finish line under the old tower and have never seen so many runs with cars less than a car length at the stripe. The place could use a bit of a sprucing up, but it's still a great facility. It was a kick to see my old race friends again. As far as the old man from the mountain goes he had the car for the occasion against David. Sometimes the little guy is given a little bit of help against the
big guns. Not that Billy needs help (racing that is). Both four remaining racers did a great job getting through a tough weekend weather wise.
I'm going to lay down and take a nappy.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:28 AM   #22
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 400 Times in 191 Posts

while stock eliminator may be alive and well, it's a geriatric class along with the rest of the classes and THAT is why the NHRA, drag racing, class racing, bracket racing is dying, because WE, the old guys are dying.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:31 AM   #23
goinbroke2

Liked 174 Times in 60 Posts

I guess everything is relative, some continue to say it's dying, but I see local tracks growing. I see our local S/SS count growing yearly (thanks to a local diehard that is doing everything to promote it, thanks Jeff) If they cancelled all national events, the local events would still operate and people who want to drag race would still either find a place to race or build a place to race (as in CB)
Explaining S/SS or bracket racing...lol, I "explained" it to my kids and their friends years ago when I set up a 100ft strip and ran them heads up,(edit: on bicycles) when the bigger kid won, I spotted the little kid more and more until they were evened out. THEY understood it and I'm talking 8-12 year olds.

So, the sky is not falling (again or still) dragracing will continue on in one form or another, sounds like e-town does need an upgrading, nothing will change as far as butts in the stands unless there is more promotion done.

Sorry to highjack Billy, just seems your original message is being turned into doom and gloom.

Last edited by goinbroke2; 09-13-2016 at 08:34 AM.
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #24
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 984 Times in 299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
I'd say pretty much of what you said is 100% correct about: Not advertising the race for one. Especially when P.C. Richard's is giving the tickets out for Free.
But,You have to take into consideration of the HEAT factor we had the pleasure of on Saturday. I wouldn't blame people for not coming that day, the beach or a place with A.C. on is going to entice them rather than a Hot n Steamy Race Track.

I'll bet if you had the "Street Outlaw" guys racing there (i hate to say it) the place would've seen more spectators.

I don't have the answers on how to bring in more people to watch but i did have 2 guys
come to the track with me for the first time & they were watching the Super Classes without me, they came back & said " Why Do They Get Off The Gas Then Go Again".
I tried to explain it, but i think the average person watching without knowing about Super Classes or even Stock & SS in which you can't go under, how will people know how to follow that. People usually would figure, First one to the Stripe Wins. Not the case in our classes. Now, go ahead & try and explain Comp. Elim. to people, they'd have a headache after your done explaining it.
Yes, Pete the heat was a huge factor for some people not coming out because for most people spending a day the beach or by the pool is better then being at the asphalt beach that we race at. Now don't get me wrong but, Dave & his crew do a great job at running an event and I'm not knocking them at all. They have been pretty short staffed this year but, still find ways around getting all the cars teched and down the track in a safe environment one way or another. It's just you have a younger group that have marketing degrees and run business or work in that field (Myself, Brittany Boltz, Etc) that can help out in anyway possible to make this sport better. I don't want anything in return for giving my ideas as to how to get butts in the seats but, we need to do something. The racers are there and that's not a problem - 500+ at MG, 500 at E-town, 480+ at Atco.

Yes, .90 racing is confusing to anyone who has never seen it in person but, as I've said it before the Top end is the place to watch .90 racing. I watched 1st round of Super Gas from the bar tower they have at the finish line at E-town. Want to talk about races separated by inches and a flat out chess match going on, that's the place to go. Unfortunately, we as racers let .90 racing get out of hand with speed and technology that it's boring for the average fan or other racers because we've become a society that if you can't explain it in less then 5 minutes or find it on Google it's too confusing to people and they give up. Like I tell people who come over to look at our car and ask about T/S Racing and I explain it all the way down to the last nut & bolt and they half way understand it but, those people are few and far between.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #25
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,494 Times in 426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSG1198 View Post
Yes, Pete the heat was a huge factor for some people not coming out because for most people spending a day the beach or by the pool is better then being at the asphalt beach that we race at. Now don't get me wrong but, Dave & his crew do a great job at running an event and I'm not knocking them at all. They have been pretty short staffed this year but, still find ways around getting all the cars teched and down the track in a safe environment one way or another. It's just you have a younger group that have marketing degrees and run business or work in that field (Myself, Brittany Boltz, Etc) that can help out in anyway possible to make this sport better. I don't want anything in return for giving my ideas as to how to get butts in the seats but, we need to do something. The racers are there and that's not a problem - 500+ at MG, 500 at E-town, 480+ at Atco.

Yes, .90 racing is confusing to anyone who has never seen it in person but, as I've said it before the Top end is the place to watch .90 racing. I watched 1st round of Super Gas from the bar tower they have at the finish line at E-town. Want to talk about races separated by inches and a flat out chess match going on, that's the place to go. Unfortunately, we as racers let .90 racing get out of hand with speed and technology that it's boring for the average fan or other racers because we've become a society that if you can't explain it in less then 5 minutes or find it on Google it's too confusing to people and they give up. Like I tell people who come over to look at our car and ask about T/S Racing and I explain it all the way down to the last nut & bolt and they half way understand it but, those people are few and far between.
Now that you mention it, why is that bar tower never open?
Old 09-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #26
Signman

Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts

Sportsman racing is not dying.

Those participating may be older but there are plenty of young people who would come out if they could afford it. The economy sucks for producing expendable income. Racing is expensive most cannot afford it until they are financially established in their 30s-40s.

As an example of young people interest we have a teenager who got interested in the new factory cars, got on the COPO list and is out racing with us. His dad raced a little when he was young but never really spoke of it his son did it on his own. Of course dad bought the car but this is something they are learning and doing together. You think his buddies are not watching him thinking how cool his car is and dreaming? I watched drag racing on TV as a 10 or 11 year old and grew up watching muscle cars drive by, always loved drag racing but did not get involved until my mid 30s after doing other things, built my first car and started driving in early 40s.

As expensive as Stock is we are always the largest car count in Div. 1 and nationally Stock has the most NHRA licensed drivers.
There is a problem with Super Gas, but Super Comp is well attended with dragsters being attractive to young people and the best bang for your buck in sportsman and bracket racing. The type of racing we do is not generally spectator friendly in it requires the acquisition of some basic knowledge of rules for each eliminator rules. BUT track operators and NHRA lack of interest in finding a way to market these events have conceded racers are their only customer demographic.

Raceway park is my favorite track but management has issues mostly driven by money or lack of. The track used to be the best in the region and maybe the country but that requires maintenance and grooming all week every week during the season not just on race days. They have some dedicated people but it costs money in labor equipment and materials. One issue is materials: The traction compound sprayed on the track has been modified to meet EPA regulations it works in hot but not cool and vice versa, needs to be cut but how much for best traction and stretch the material. Some real engineering needs to be done.
Everyone is getting flats at RP more than any other track. Pavement in the pits is getting old and we are dragging so much gravel up to the burnout box they can probably use what is swept up to fill some pot holes.Swap meet weekends are important to the facility financially brings so much metal shrapnel and broken glass we are getting flats. Most racers will police their pit area but the main roads especially along the lake should be swept before events it would be great if some sort of magnets were dragged around during to week to pick up the metal.

We have the factory cars bringing so much attention to our sport especially Stock, we have so many young drivers buy men and women, even with the weak economy there are new cars and new faces, the sort is not dying it moving with the times.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #27
goinbroke2

Liked 174 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
Sportsman racing is not dying.

Those participating may be older but there are plenty of young people who would come out if they could afford it. The economy sucks for producing expendable income. Racing is expensive most cannot afford it until they are financially established in their 30s-40s.

As an example of young people interest we have a teenager who got interested in the new factory cars, got on the COPO list and is out racing with us. His dad raced a little when he was young but never really spoke of it his son did it on his own. Of course dad bought the car but this is something they are learning and doing together. You think his buddies are not watching him thinking how cool his car is and dreaming? I watched drag racing on TV as a 10 or 11 year old and grew up watching muscle cars drive by, always loved drag racing but did not get involved until my mid 30s after doing other things, built my first car and started driving in early 40s.

As expensive as Stock is we are always the largest car count in Div. 1 and nationally Stock has the most NHRA licensed drivers.
There is a problem with Super Gas, but Super Comp is well attended with dragsters being attractive to young people and the best bang for your buck in sportsman and bracket racing. The type of racing we do is not generally spectator friendly in it requires the acquisition of some basic knowledge of rules for each eliminator rules. BUT track operators and NHRA lack of interest in finding a way to market these events have conceded racers are their only customer demographic.

Raceway park is my favorite track but management has issues mostly driven by money or lack of. The track used to be the best in the region and maybe the country but that requires maintenance and grooming all week every week during the season not just on race days. They have some dedicated people but it costs money in labor equipment and materials. One issue is materials: The traction compound sprayed on the track has been modified to meet EPA regulations it works in hot but not cool and vice versa, needs to be cut but how much for best traction and stretch the material. Some real engineering needs to be done.
Everyone is getting flats at RP more than any other track. Pavement in the pits is getting old and we are dragging so much gravel up to the burnout box they can probably use what is swept up to fill some pot holes.Swap meet weekends are important to the facility financially brings so much metal shrapnel and broken glass we are getting flats. Most racers will police their pit area but the main roads especially along the lake should be swept before events it would be great if some sort of magnets were dragged around during to week to pick up the metal.

We have the factory cars bringing so much attention to our sport especially Stock, we have so many young drivers buy men and women, even with the weak economy there are new cars and new faces, the sort is not dying it moving with the times.
X2 Signman, well put. One line though " dragsters being attractive to young people and the best bang for your buck in sportsman and bracket racing." This is a point (perhaps this isn't the forum, but since you brought it up) that my kid brought up to me. He's out of junior dragsters soon and wanted a bigger dragster, I told him they're too expensive and you have to be in Super Pro here which is 11.50 and faster. His next question was thought provoking.."Why, why do you have to go so fast in a dragster, why can't you start out say 12 seconds?" Hundred reasons why but the point was valid, we made juniors for kids to rejuvenate the sport..why not give them (or anybody) the next stepping stone and allow 12 sec dragsters?
Yes I said he can drive my mustang in Stock elim but that's not the point. He grew up in dragsters and wants to continue in dragsters but I don't have the pockets to do it.

Hope he likes a slow, boring, full bodied car to race next....
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:32 PM   #28
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

This has nothing to do with racing, just following-up on comments above in regards to E-Towns facility. Yes, there are pot holes, yes, they are very annoying, and yes, they are going to get fixed.

The entire facility was rented-out right after Sandy hit to several different companies to store flood damaged cars before going to auction or getting crushed. Those companies really damaged that place. The 400 lot (next to staging lanes and lake/fuel area) got completely destroyed. Was always the last lot to get fixed in the past, still is.......

Hopefully it all gets done before the 2017 season starts again.
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #29
Signman

Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbroke2 View Post
X2 Signman, well put. One line though " dragsters being attractive to young people and the best bang for your buck in sportsman and bracket racing." This is a point (perhaps this isn't the forum, but since you brought it up) that my kid brought up to me. He's out of junior dragsters soon and wanted a bigger dragster, I told him they're too expensive and you have to be in Super Pro here which is 11.50 and faster. His next question was thought provoking.."Why, why do you have to go so fast in a dragster, why can't you start out say 12 seconds?" Hundred reasons why but the point was valid, we made juniors for kids to rejuvenate the sport..why not give them (or anybody) the next stepping stone and allow 12 sec dragsters?
Yes I said he can drive my mustang in Stock elim but that's not the point. He grew up in dragsters and wants to continue in dragsters but I don't have the pockets to do it.

Hope he likes a slow, boring, full bodied car to race next....
We must always race within our budget no matter.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #30
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 984 Times in 299 Posts

I know John H. Has really been trying hard at E-Town to get it back to where it once was. He's slowly working on things and is a racer himself so he can relate to what we go through. I know he strolls through this site ever so often so maybe he can chime in on plans and improvements. I just know that his hands are quite tied with fees the track pays to the township and to be honest it's almost like they are doing it to spite the track and get rid of it. You see the multi-million dollar houses that now line Pension Rd when you come in to the track and the ridiculous curfews they have to endure. That's why they added the drift track, because they have no curfew and can run till the weeee hours with no hassle. So that's extra profit for them.

Bobby as far as the bar not being open, I'm not sure but, my guess would be since we all bring motorhomes or camper style towing vehicles it's no sense of opening that and paying staff when we are bringing in our own stuff. It's like going to a Phillies game, you have a few in the parking lot so you don't have to pay $7.50 for a beer inside.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote