HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #1
Pinballer

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default Weight questions

As far as Div 3 is concerned, I've heard some grumbling about scales being off here and there. So what margin of error should I expect on scale variances from track to track in this division? 5? 10? 15lbs or more?
I'll have to run my T/SA car as close as possible to minimum weight and don't see the need to carry a whole lot of extra metal around in the truck if it won't be needed. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
Chris Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Weight questions

The last Divisional race that I attended (Pacific Raceway, D6) the scales were 35-40# heavier than the other four divisionals that I've raced in this year, convenient since the NHRA recently gave me 6 horsepower for my birthday. Of course I didn't argue but they told me that they had been calibrated the night before! I have had tracks ask me about how the scales are reading before. I live down the street from a transfer station with very accurate scales and I generally try and carry an extra 40# or so to be safe.
Chris Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts
Default Re: Weight question

Brian,
It does not matter what division you race in, every track has the same issues with scales. Even Heartland Park Topeka, and their scales are inside a building that we drive across. You will need to think about a ballast bar, or box unless you cannot get the car to min. I use lead shot and a ballast bar. I have 2 different bars, one that weighs 42 lbs empty and another that is 52 empty. The bar that is 52 lbs is 4"x6" tubing with a 2" pipe plug in the top. An antifreeze container will hold 40lbs of lead shot. The antifreeze containers hold up and all that's needed is a small shop vac to remove the lead shot from the bar.

Yes it's more stuff to have to haul but that is what it comes down to. You can have a 10 lb change just between passes even after topping off the fuel cell between the passes. So it would be best to plan on being able to add/remove weight to be able to compete. Otherwise you pay your entry fee and will be screwed if the car is not at min on that given time or day. That pass gets thrown out as a DQ, and if during eliminations your done.

Good luck
Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts

You always want to have the ability to add or subtract weight when attending races at different tracks, or even the same scale having some leeway, since many scales at tracks are graduated in 5 pound increments. Like Chris Barnes noted, I have seen the scales at Pacific Raceway vary a fair bit from one day to the next, so be prepared. In my Mustang, I was always able to add a fair bit of weight in fuel, as I still have the stock gas tank, and between a full tank, and adding a spare tire, I was able to get enough weight to drop down a class. If you are not about to have a heads up race, I see no good reason to always be right on the edge of being at the minimum legal weight. It would suck to have a run DQed for being 5 lbs light, especially in eliminations.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #5
Pinballer

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

I get the part about adjusting the weight for the car/class, but does one track in Div 3 tend to run "light" on the scales and another one "heavy" time after time from previous racer experiences? I was just going to write them in the logbook and be prepared.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:05 PM   #6
Jack McCarthy
VIP Member

Liked 352 Times in 92 Posts

I just stay 50-75 heavy unless it's a heads up or class (that never happens) so I cross that off my worry list .... Easy to take out .... Stays stored .... I just drive it
Old 09-21-2016, 12:59 AM   #7
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Brian. when I had the gremlin minimum was 3,020. I always had the car at between 3,040 and 3,045. Never had a problem.The problem is either the calibration of the scales from track to track or more importantly if a track has a wooden floor and or if it rained recently. Wood absorbs water, making you think the car is heavier. When the water evaporates you appear to be lighter.Water can effect any scale if it accumulates under the floor. That was sometimes a problem at Numidia and Island Dragway. In short always try to get to the scales before you go up for your first shot of the day.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #8
dwydendorf

Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts

Back in the early 1970's Marty Barrett was the division tech director for division 3. A friend was running his stocker and it was light. My friend told Marty that there was no way that the scales were right. Marty said the scales do not have to be right, they only have to be official. That means that you have to adjust your weight to the scales and it does not matter if the scales are calibrated right.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #9
tim worner

Liked 126 Times in 20 Posts

The reply of running 50=60lbs heavy is good . Besides it's a lot easier to go faster when you want to.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #10
savoyracer

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

little known fact...........wind across scales will affect the calibration and subsequent weights.
savoyracer is offline   Reply With Quote