HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-09-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
R&S Motorsports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Brodix 18X heads???

I am in the process of building a new motor and I am looking at the 18 degree Brodix 18X heads SBC. Has anyone had any experience with these? Difference between 23 degree and these or mabye something else completely. The short block will be a 441 SBC havent bought any components yet other than the block so open to suggestions. Let me know what you think
R&S Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
63corvette

Liked 299 Times in 91 Posts
Default Re: Brodix 18X heads???

I used the 23 degree heads with a Ron's Porting Job on them on a 434 a few years ago.
They worked well and flowed better than the Brodix CNC BBC heads.
I had to pull the hood many times to prove the car had a small block and not a big block.
The 434 made almost 850 HP on the dyno and was very reliable with a dart block.
Same combo with a GM block not so reliable. I don't know what the difference in the blocks are but the Dart was much better and a little heavier.
Good Luck with your combo.
My 2 Cents
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

I've heard very good things about these heads, and considered putting them on my 383 cid small block. But, I was advised against it since that motor only has a stock cast iron 4-bolt block, which wasn't really made to take 750+ hp, which is easily attainable with those heads. The cost difference to put together a motor using those 18° heads vs. a set of standard 23° heads is minimal. So, if you have the block and other components that can take the extra power, I'd go with them.

Good luck, and let us know which direction you go...
Old 12-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

A friend of mine built a 420 using those heads. It made about 740 hp with a t-ram and 2 alcohol carbs. Not a real impressive number by any means. His car weighs close to 3000lbs and has run 9.20's at 143-144 after just a few runs. His best previous numbers were in the 9.50's at about140 using AFR 23 degree heads. The 18x's were not a huge improvement over the 23 degree stuff he had before when you take into consideration the added engine size. There are some very good 23 degree heads out there and probably run as well or better.......
Old 12-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
luckydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
There are some very good 23 degree heads out there and probably run as well or better.......
Such as.................
I'm also considering purchasing the 18X and would like some more information on this topic.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
R&S Motorsports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys. I am going to talk to Brodix at the PRI show this weekend but I always like to hear things from the real racer that have had experience with the product, I have learned through the years that the manufactures sometimes will tell you anything you want to hear! I will post any more info I get on them during the PRI show but I am pretty sure that these are the one I am going to go with. Everything I have heard about these has been great as long as you use a aftermarket block.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
luckydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&S Motorsports View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. I am going to talk to Brodix at the PRI show this weekend but I always like to hear things from the real racer that have had experience with the product, I have learned through the years that the manufactures sometimes will tell you anything you want to hear! I will post any more info I get on them during the PRI show but I am pretty sure that these are the one I am going to go with. Everything I have heard about these has been great as long as you use a aftermarket block.
Are you looking at the standard or spread port?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #8
R&S Motorsports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
Are you looking at the standard or spread port?
Well let me tell the whole story this motor is for my new car I built for H/R I would probably be looking at the spread port but the problem is that 6 months ago I bought a $700 set of STD port headers for the motor out of the other car and I am not sure if I want to buy another set of headers for the spread port the difference between the two would have to justified. "Probably the ones that would make me run more inconsistent" right since I will be joining you on the H/R circuit next LOL...

Last edited by R&S Motorsports; 12-09-2008 at 11:39 PM. Reason: mis spelling
Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I built a 405 cube engine using a set of Brodix raised runner/spread port-10's that were WeldTech ported. That engine was very strong. I built a similar sized engine years later using -12's with very large intake runners. It never ran up to expectations. I have an engine in my garage now that is a pretty strong running 400 and it has ProAction 220 aluminum heads on it. I also built a 375 cube engine using AFR 220's and ported them myself. That engine ran 9.00 at 150 in an early Camaro with a Ron's toilet. That car was pretty light......

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 12-10-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
H.A.A.C. Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

427" SBC. Trick Flow 18 degree heads. 715@7200 Heads are bone stock out of the box, was told that with a good port job and the right cam it would make well over 800. I am very happy with the product.
H.A.A.C. Racing is offline   Reply With Quote