HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,678 Times in 533 Posts
Default Your thoughts on msd's grid system?

I went to the MSD seminar and am intrigued by this ignition. a lot more involved in it than I would ever need. The output seems to be even better than a 7 digital. (my other choice). is anyone out there using one? please give me your thoughts good and bad. thanks in advance, Keith
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts
Default Re: Your thoughts on msd's grid system?

Keith I have a Grid controller hooked to an MSD 7al3 and have had it for 2+years.

I had some problems at one time but it was no big deal really as it needed to be sent in for firmware updating. MSD did that for free and covered the shipping back to me.

I don't use it for all the features it has. I was mainly interested in timing control and run recording and that is exactly what I use it for.

I can retard the timing anywhere during a run and was doing that with injection to reduce the chance of spinning the tires.

I also used it to retard the timing for starting when I was running a gas primer plus system along with injection.

It works fine and I replay all my runs usually after a race to look them over and evaluate things. T-Stop racing in particular.....

It's not a data recorder but does give you some feedback and is more accurate than just a replay tach....
Old 07-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
Keith 944
VIP Member

thanks Rich, I thought the same thing. My ignition now has the retard, start retard, and rpm and window switch. just need a backup and would like to try this one and keep the one in the car as a backup. does same things I would want but the output is way more than even the old 7 series. some times I think there may be too much in the grid and I might do something stupid by mistake. (never happens) lol. was hoping to hear more info from anyone running the new ign. with the grid on top. I have heard of a lot of problems with them but want to hear user input. thanks for the input, anybody else?
Old 07-16-2014, 01:35 AM   #4
sst7250

Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts

It is much more user friendly than the Digital 7 stuff. IMO that is a big selling point.
sst7250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
GaryGoFast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talking Re: Your thoughts on msd's grid system?

I have the Grid & Controller on my Nova, easy to use, does more than we will ever need. Kick *** spark. I lost a controller after the first 2 weeks, replaced under warranty and have had no issues.
I recommend if upgrading.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
Keith 944
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGoFast View Post
I have the Grid & Controller on my Nova, easy to use, does more than we will ever need. Kick *** spark. I lost a controller after the first 2 weeks, replaced under warranty and have had no issues.
I recommend if upgrading.
thanks Gary, I am going to upgrade. Had ign. in my car for 15 years since I built it. not broke but wonder if I may be leaving anything on the table. my decision is between the 7 digital or the grid. only slight diff in $. leaning on the grid. just wanted to here some hero or horror story's first.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
Keith 944
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sst7250 View Post
It is much more user friendly than the Digital 7 stuff. IMO that is a big selling point.
Thanks for your reply.
please explain, I thought the dig.7 had all dials on side of box to use i.e.. last min. adjustments.
I do know you can add rpm adj modules to the grid to do same but that's more cash.
seems kind of a hassle to have to take laptop out to car to make adj....
I do like the point of having an ignition data loger. isn't that on the digital 7 also?
Old 07-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
voltdr

Liked 90 Times in 49 Posts

I run the Grid connected to my Digital 7 box. My reason is that if the controller would go bad, I can reconnect the digital 7 and keep racing. There are no controls on the side if the Digital box. The Grid has rev limiters in 50 RPM increments. I like that adjustment better for TS racing.
The data acquisition is better than the Digital boxes.
Dan
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #9
Cisco Kid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Cisco Kid

ive been reading on this as well...I plan on buying the complete grid system,and installing it over the winter..im my eyes its a good system,and I like the fact you can tune everything with a lap top! pretty soon there will probably be an iPhone app!
Cisco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #10
Keith 944
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdr View Post
I run the Grid connected to my Digital 7 box. My reason is that if the controller would go bad, I can reconnect the digital 7 and keep racing. There are no controls on the side if the Digital box. The Grid has rev limiters in 50 RPM increments. I like that adjustment better for TS racing.
The data acquisition is better than the Digital boxes.
Dan
[QUOTE=voltdr;438065]I run the Grid connected to my Digital 7 box. My reason is that if the controller would go bad, I can reconnect the digital 7 and keep racing.

Very good point. thanks