HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Kegracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Need a-arm front suspension help/suggestions after near miss

I have to redo the front suspension on my 67 Firebird stocker.

Had a really close call Sunday. Broke the top a arm on drivers side at finish line at 95 mph (1/8 mile). Folded wheel and was really wild ride getting stopped. Luckily I was in the right lane, and other car was faster. I ended up about a foot off the left wall.
Not sure what caused what yet. I have been gone with work all week, and have not gotten it apart. Guessing that it stripped or broke a bolt on starting line (pulls wheels about a foot in air), then upset it and twisted when I hit brakes at finish line. Top front was off, and bolt gone. Not sure if stripped, broke, or what. I did hit the brakes in lights, but only killed 1 mph, did NOT bomb the brakes.
I had made 11 passes on Saturday, and this was 3rd pass Sunday. I had looked over everything that morning, normal check engine bay, bounce front end, etc. Did not see anything loose or feel anything wrong. Car 60' was within thousandths all weekend, including that pass... I had original a arms with urethane bushings and Moroso springs.

So, after all that, I need to fix my car. Know the top a arm is bent, brake line is cut, and front tire is trash. Not sure about lower arm, spindle, brakes, wheel, etc.
I have searched the archived files and found some stuff. Just want to hear more.

I know everyone says they dont want your speed secrets, etc. I DO! I want to fix this right, and with all the work to go all the way down to bare and fix everything, I want options on how "right" I make it. Car worked good, but could have been better. Are aftermarket original style a-arms any good, or do I want to find some used originals? What shafts - adjustable top shafts? What bushings? What ball joints - 1/2" longer? What does the extra 1/2" do for us? What spring? Had small block Moroso's with 3/4 coil cut. Car pretty much set down on arms, or could be pushed down by hand. Could lift front end 8-10 inches by hand before. Has Calvert front shocks on it. Will keep my crate motor in it for now, but still want to put my Pontiac 400 in it one of these days... maybe with a 4 speed.

Give me some options please. PM me or email if you prefer. Kegracing@yahoo.com

thanks in advance
Ken Graham
Stock 412.
Kegracing is offline   Reply With Quote