ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts
Default Re: More Sportsman coverage in National Dragster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65signet View Post
More slow stocker's would be great, not every stocker is A to F
X 2.

Would also be nice to at least once every 3 months publish the 1/8th mile national records.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:02 PM   #22
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McKenna View Post
Ed,

I'd love to feature more of Evan 's work in ND. He remains one of the best tech writers in the biz (and one of my best friends). However, his current employment makes that very difficult.

When you mention slow Stockers, I assume you mean "Bill" Koski and Billy Nees. I actually wrote an column a while back on racing slow cars. I recall interviewing Mark Yacavone, who remains the only driver to win a national event in a FWD car. That's not to say I wouldn't revisit the topic in the future.

Thanks for the input,

Kevin
Kevin:

You should interview Marty Buth from Illinois.
He runs in O/SA
He was the first driver to make an 11 second pass in Stock with a 4 cylinder and is currently the quickest 4 cyl. racer in Stock. ( 11.68 )

Last edited by ALMACK; 01-28-2015 at 11:07 PM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #23
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts

Kevin:

Thank you for responding on here and trying to help improve the National Dragster. I have seen it go down, in my eyes, ALLOT over the past several years. From the physical size to the total lack of coverage at national and divisional races. You use to see several pictures of rounds of racing at a National event and AT LEAST the finals from divisional. To anyone that is fortunate to make it to a final and has someone on there car they are promoting, that picture can go along way. With that said, I really do hope the Dragster gets better. I know you guys do a great job and powers that be determine allot. I have a couple ideas. On several pages near the front, high light the borders with Lucas Oil with a blue border. In this section will be all the current points race information, recent records, recent HP's, recent parts accepted. Divisional contacts and Sportsman Representatives etc. This could take up several pages but you can quickly flip through go to the colored sportsman section and see what info is in this issue. How about a story submitted by racers showing them getting ready for a race, then what they faced while at the race? Weather, delays, breakage, heads up runs etc. Then having to drive all night to get back to work. etc. Thank you for what you do and I look forward to the next issues.

Robert
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:05 PM   #24
Byron Worner

Liked 28 Times in 5 Posts

Bring back the old sportsman national event and divisional coverage!
Byron Worner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:49 PM   #25
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24
Smile Re: More Sportsman coverage in National Dragster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McKenna View Post
Ed,

I'd love to feature more of Evan 's work in ND. He remains one of the best tech writers in the biz (and one of my best friends). However, his current employment makes that very difficult.

When you mention slow Stockers, I assume you mean "Bill" Koski and Billy Nees. I actually wrote an column a while back on racing slow cars. I recall interviewing Mark Yacavone, who remains the only driver to win a national event in a FWD car. That's not to say I wouldn't revisit the topic in the future.

Thanks for the input,l
Kevin
Kevin, I agree with Byron Worner about bringing back the old coverage we used to get (I wish you could get ESPN to bring back "Inside Drag Racing" too, but that's a stretch I know)! I'm curious as to when that column on racing slow cars went to print, because I missed it, and would like to read it (hopefully it was in one of last years issues).

As for Mark being the only driver to win a national event in a FWD car, I'm trying to join him in that monumental feat (plus I believe Bill Drevo Jr. is the only driver to win an NHRA divisional with a FWD car). There's a lot of uncharted by a FWD racer plateau's out there, and I'm looking forward to adding my name to that very small list of accomplishments FWD drivers have accomplished. Outside of Division V (2yrs ago with Stan Kopejtka's Top Ten finish), I don't think many (or any) other divisions have had a FWD driver finish in the top ten, and I'm pretty sure there's been no national Top Ten finish by a FWD racer, and there's some very good racers throughout the country who could possibly change that...like Rob Seibenick, Stan and Brent Kopejtka, Charles Blossom, Bill O'Connor, and hopefully me. I'll definitely be chasing D7 points this year, and I look forward to the challenge of even quicker stockers chasing me than was the case back in 2008 when I last was able to run at least 5 divisionals.

I hope in your suggestion box, you can add bringing back the class indexes at national events, and occasionally the altitude correction factors (like the old dragster mags did)? Thanks....
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)

Last edited by GarysZ24; 01-31-2015 at 01:48 AM.
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:11 PM   #26
jwsamuel

Liked 216 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Worner View Post
Bring back the old sportsman national event and divisional coverage!
I did not read National Dragster for a long time and am wondering what it used to include in divisional coverage that it does not include now.

What would you like to be seeing that you do not see now?

Jim
Old 01-31-2015, 02:39 AM   #27
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up Re: More Sportsman coverage in National Dragster

This is good news! Thanks Kevin. Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:22 AM   #28
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Kevin,Hallelujah, National Dragster has finally seen the light! Took you guys a hell of a long time to understand that ninety percent of your readership are sportsman racers of all kinds.Less of Force and daughters and more of the Nees, Kosky's,Worner's Yaccavone. More articles of the racers at home, their shops, theirs cars and where they race. Please don't turn the articles into a advertising promos for their products like some past rags(I know that they're trying to make a living also). I left ND as my #1 enjoyment reading paper because they weren't representing us, I will give them a third chance and I hope not to be disappointed.Fletcher's articles were a favorite but try putting in articles of the little guys going to National events, maybe that's not a good idea, it might not show NHRA in a good light.Hope you guys have learned a lesson. Claude Ruel. p.s. remember that there is no more drag racing magazines around anymore!

Last edited by cicero819; 01-31-2015 at 09:24 AM.
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote