HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
Mike Schwartz

Liked 192 Times in 65 Posts
Thumbs up More Sportsman coverage in National Dragster

"In a letter to their advertisers the NHRA recently stated that going forward National Dragster will make 50 percent of their editorial content about the NHRA sportsman classes, 25 percent dedicated to NHRA’s ET and bracket racers, with the pro classes getting just 25 percent of the editorial content"

Full story:
http://www.dragracingonline.com/agen...xvii_1-47.html
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:22 AM   #2
modelman1960

Liked 55 Times in 22 Posts
Thumbs up Re: More Sportsman coverage in National Dragster

I for one will be looking forward to more sportsman coverage. Hope it's not smoke and mirrors. After reducing the frequency of the issues to every other week and now the size has shrunk also, seeing more news about our grassroots racers would certainly be welcome. Hope it's not just another "enhancement".
I'm trying to be positive here.
Good racing all.
Walt
modelman1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
Irace007

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Default Re: More Sportsman coverage in National Dragster

I might even subscribe...........I did say MIGHT.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:44 AM   #4
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts

I just hope they deliver. Maybe they'll quit trying to make National Dragster a fan magazine. I know I'm sick and tired of the pro driver stories. I'm surprised they didn't add Robin Leach from "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" as a feature writer for that garbage.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
Lyn Smith
VIP Member

Liked 841 Times in 156 Posts

Dragster used to be a cash cow for NHRA.The classifieds,and Sponsor directory brought in alot of income.Maybe now they are starting to realize that it was the Sportsmen racers that spent the cash that kept that going.
Lyn Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #6
Bill Grubbs

Liked 458 Times in 61 Posts

I think everyone needs to re-read the quote from NHRA..."editorial".

"Editorial" not "feature"...how much of the Dragster is editorial anyway? Twenty, 30, 60 column inches? Most of the Dragster would be considered feature articles.

I also agree with Lyn on who the advertising dollar is targeting.
Bill Grubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #7
racerhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bill, I believe in their lingo, 'editorial' is most everything, not just like the editorial section of a newspaper. This change is driven by the input from advertisers, who see that racers themselves are the ones who primarily purchase their race parts. More interested racers and hard core fans, more advertising effectiveness. I'm optimistic. I'm also biased as I still write for ND and I advertise.

Bruce Deveau
racerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #8
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,617 Times in 1,290 Posts

Could they include any less ?? Geez....I have read enough of the Force girls to last me a lifetime. How bout an article about Randi Lynn Shipp jumping off the Stratosphere (spelling) while competing at Las Vegas. Now, that's entertainment. M.J.
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:32 PM   #9
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts

Great news, maybe I will renew after all ... too bad there is no more free T-shirt !
Tim H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #10
Kevin McKenna

Liked 33 Times in 7 Posts

It is true. The focus of National Dragster will be shifting in the coming weeks and months as we continue to pursue the proper balance of editorial content that appeals to our subscribers, readers, and advertisers. To that end, we plan on adding much more sportsman-related content.

Over the past couple of years, some of you have no doubt noticed that we’ve included at least one sportsman feature in every issue. Some of the prominent class racers that have been featured include Austin Williams, the Teuton family, PB and Brett Candies, Bo Butner, and others. We certainly plan to do more of that going forward.

We are also planning a return of Dan Fletcher's very popular "Route 2015" column for what we hope will be six issues this year. As most of you know, Dan's writing it top notch and he's very honest and forthcoming about his life on tour.

As for race coverage, we began including an extra photo page with each sportsman story last year and that was very well received so we’re going to continue that as well.

From time to time we do surveys and one of the things that seems to always be at or near the top of the list is tech features. To that end, Mike Galimi will continue to contribute with his regular tech columns and we’re also going to roll out a new feature that I believe will be very popular. We’ve taken some of the most successful and best-known NHRA sportsman drivers and asked them to reveal some of their best-kept secrets for success. We’ve asked them to sound off on a wide variety of topics including car prep, record keeping, dial-in selection, and the finer points of finish line driving. It’s our hope that this will provide useful info that can actually help make you improve your program.

If you’ve got comments, suggestions I can always be reached at kmckenna@NHRA.com

Kevin McKenna
Sr. Editor
National Dragster
Kevin McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote