HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #1
Not So Fast

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Default Winternationals Hot Lapping

As a S/SS competitor, the quick turn around between rounds was challenging. There wasn't much time to perform basic maintenance between runs. If you had an issue, the chances of making repairs was slim at best.

Are NHRA higher-ups taking an approach of gas and go for all sportsman cars is acceptable? Are they not acknowledging/understanding it would be beneficial to competitors and the show, to allow a reasonable time (such as the Pros are allotted) to cool down cars, check components and possibly make repairs between rounds?

We have been reminded by NHRA of the importance of adhering to a schedule. Yet, even when the program was well ahead of the schedule, the rush was on to return to the lanes and get paired upped.

As racers, we know what it takes to run S/SS cars (or any car going down the track). Do the higher ups at NHRA? NHRA is requiring us through an oil down policy, to not impede on the schedule with downtime. However, at the Winternationals, the lack of time between runs approach appears to be counterproductive to this direction.

Small issues can often be addressed between rounds. If they are left unaddressed due to lack of time to even perform basic maintenance, bigger problems are on the horizon.

It's easier to put them together when only one or two pieces are broken then to put them together when they are in a thousand pieces.
Not So Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,580 Times in 323 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Question Re: Winternationals Hot Lapping

Mr. Not So Fast - First you would be better served to use your given name and second I'm not sure what you would expect to be a reasonable time .Using Saturday rounds as an example here's how they went -

Rd. 3 was finished @ 8:33
Rd.4 " " @9:27
Rd.5 " " @ 11:15
Rd.6 " " @ 2:30

That's as much time than the Pro's got on Sunday and in most cases as you see it's much more .

Last edited by Jack Matyas; 02-15-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Jack Matyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,875 Times in 577 Posts
Default Re: Winternationals Hot Lapping

Excellent Point!

We both run stock and super stock ......We just about missed
a round of eliminations by the time we got back to pits and
brought you the next class.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:03 PM   #4
Not So Fast

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Jack,

Using the between round times cited in your post:
Rd. 3 was finished @ 8:33
Rd.4 " " @9:27
Rd.5 " " @ 11:15
Rd.6 " " @ 2:30

As noted Rd.3 concluded at 8:33. Not sure when the call was made to the staging lanes for Rd.4. However, let's assume it was around 9 am which would allow for 27 minutes to pair up and run the session. We were pitted beyond the Irvings and were in the neighborhood of 1/2 a mile from the lanes. If my recollection is accurate, there was a bit of downtime prior running Rd. 5 of SS. However, we were called to the lanes well in advance of the on-track delay.
My point being was if a problem occurred, a racer has less than 30 minutes (Rd. 3 to 4) and less than an hour (guesstimate) between Rd. 4 to 5 to address unforeseen issues, perform basic between round maintenance and return to the lanes. My crew of one additional person (slightly smaller than the typical Pro operation) at Pomona assisted with tire pressure, fueling and charging the battery. The remainder of record-keeping, dialing, and maintenance is my responsibility.
If that is a reasonable time for a Sportsman operation to perform such functions so be it. However, it is my opinion based on being at the event that the Sportsman racers were being rushed.

At this time, my preference is not to divulge my name. If that diminishes the subject matter of the post, my observations, opinion or qualifications as a competitor, it is not my intent.
Not So Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:21 AM   #5
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,875 Times in 577 Posts

The problem for us is we usually both run a car in Stock and Superstock.
When there are only 8 or 9 pairs in each class or less and they run the classes back to back to back again .....There is just not much time to get car scaled and back to the pits on charger and next car up to staging .

We are very blessed and fortunate that our competition was so understanding and waited for us. We are thankful to our competitors!

There are enough Sportsman classes to toss one or two class in between
the runoffs...particularly as the rounds go on.

By our Rhino's speedometer we are nearly a mile from staging lanes to
our pits. This included at least 3 intersections with traffic cops directing
traffic and one pair of swinging gates (Randomly swinging open) and
around a zillion spectators all looking the other way.

I guess we can try to lose earlier.....That would solve the problem too.

Last edited by GTX JOHN; 02-16-2016 at 02:32 AM.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote