Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #31
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts
Default Re: 600 hp small block stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRyan View Post
Yeah, well at 3365 it has to go low 9.60's in C. I don't care who knows you or who you know, I said, "LEGALLY". That means you don't get to run a 15 to 1 piston with the right Number on it, and a deeper valve relief to support wild .050" specs on a huge cam. That's ONLY six tenths faster that the fastest C/S car so far this year and two tenths faster than the fastest A/S car. Apparently all those guys are stupid.

Jerry
GEEZ Jerry tell them what you really think,but that's about rite.
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #32
Jon Sarrett

Liked 136 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Once Upon A Time...Many years ago...
There was a very fast 1971 351 Cleveland in Division X...
Got torn down many times and everytime it got torn down, the driver will change the limiter and go another 10th quicker just to make NHRA go crazy.

One day, I got a call from NHRA tech asking me if there was a way or method to shrink cast iron. So, I ask Why?

NHRA had gone and procured a virgin set of Cleveland heads with the same part number used by the offender. They had the cylinder heads prepped with a legal valve job and appropriate parts.

When they poured the runners, the numbers were way smaller than the numbers they had recorded on the racer's cylinder heads. They could not figure out what had taken place since they had also measured the width of the cylinder head to make sure they had not machined the intake and exhaust surfaces excessively to maintain the volume numbers.
Was said car totaled in accident at Speedworld?
Jon Sarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #33
astikhossw

Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Thumbs up Re: 600 hp small block stocker

You must be planning on some really high numbered gear ratio to get that monster thur end,with a 30 tire.And i'll be waiting to see and hear this one.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #34
Bill Diehl

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astikhossw View Post
You must be planning on some really high numbered gear ratio to get that monster thur end,with a 30 tire.And i'll be waiting to see and hear this one.
yep, not sure what's going to work but we starting with the 3056ST's (29.5)....I think I did tell you a little about the engine combo several months ago, I might have gave out too much info
Bill Diehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:35 PM   #35
69Cobra

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

When and where is this car going to make its debut?
69Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:47 PM   #36
JRyan

Liked 104 Times in 28 Posts

Lou,

Yes there are specs for all that. NHRA tech has them and uses them to certify pistons for the accepted list. Although they don't give cc volumes for all flat-top pistons with notches, they do for all the flat-top Clevelands. The Chevy pistons are hit and miss, but if you want to look at the blueprint specs for the 1970 Chevy engines, you'll see lots of volumes for flat-tops. Bill's engine has domes so no valve relief spec would be given, but they have it at NHRA. Whether they'd want to enforce it as a minimum spec for compression or a maximum spec for cam fitment would be up to them. Maybe I should ask NHRA as we run an original Boss 351 Mustang (so you're wrong again Bill as I mentioned our car on one of your first threads). We don't race it MUCH or HARD, because it has the original #'s matching block in it but yeah, you would be hurting our combo.

Jon,

Yep, that's the car. I helped work on it a couple of times when it was up in this area. As far as I know, the replacement version was sold to someone on the East Coast but hasn't been raced since sold.

Jerry

Jerry
JRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:35 AM   #37
Bill Diehl

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

My pistons are on the list, but I am having a new set made with some improvements done to them, As far as I am concerned, I can read the book and that is all that matters.. not what somebody "thinks" it says

Jerry, with all due respect and I do admire an all original car, if you are not going to run it hard, you might as well stick to car shows and don't tell me what I can and can't do with mine.

Kris, the car has been sitting in my shop stripped to the bone for several months while I debate which direction I am going with it, most likely its getting the 25.5 treatment so when I get tossed out I will just step it up.

Last edited by Bill Diehl; 10-30-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Bill Diehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:07 AM   #38
Dave Noll

Liked 220 Times in 105 Posts

Good luck Bill. Go get em. (from another Cleveland racer)
Old 10-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #39
Jon Sarrett

Liked 136 Times in 43 Posts

Jerry,

I was on the starting line that morning when it happened. Nasty is all I can say! I always wondered what happened to the replacement.
Jon Sarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #40
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,664 Times in 1,296 Posts

Mr. Diehl, I believe you are mistaken. Tomorrow is Halloween. Aprils Fools Day was several months ago. Regards, M.J.
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote