Wink Re: Ol' Fart's Firebird Fantasy

Yo! Todd, stop giving away all the 301 speed secrets
Old 01-30-2015, 06:56 PM   #212
Jeff Goss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Re: Ol' Fart's Firebird Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
Yeah, I think I understand what you are saying. See if I got it right. You feel that EVERYTHING has got to be absolutely legal, including the exact width of the rear end, even to run at a division level race, or don't even take it to the track.
Is that accurate ?

I have a question for you. I've read about the acid ported heads, and the new process that the top name Stocker head shops use to open up the Stock heads for the high dollar Stock racers. I read that many of the quickest cars use these heads and get by with it. So do you consider these heads illegal, even tho the tech guys pass 'em ?

Do you think it's fair for guys running these heads to win their class at a National event, or set a National record, or win any of the big races ?

Do you think it would be worse for me to run a rear that was a couple of inches too short, in order to save some $, than for these guys to win with modified heads ?

If you were racing at the same race I was, would you protest my car or tell one of the tech guys that my rear end was 2 inches too short, and suggest that they measure it to see ? I personally would not care what rear end you had, or how wide the housing was. It would be fine with me if you wanted to run a 9" Ford or a Dana 60.

Hey, if I understand the rules correctly, except for heads up runs, both Stock and SS now run breakout bracket rules. So what difference does it make how wide your rear end housing is ? You think that might be the reason the tech is a little slack at division level races ?

Which item has a performance advantage ?-- the bogus heads or the shorter rear end housing ? If I go to the expense of having a stock housing lengthened 2 inches, and buying new axles to match, how much slower will I go ?

I
Just Bracket race until you make it legal. Cheating is unacceptable. Test and tune until you think you are ready. Not acceptable when you raced in the past, and not acceptable now.

Do you really need to be told this?
Jeff Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:35 PM   #213
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 761 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: Ol' Fart's Firebird Fantasy

oldskool:

It's obvious you have an interest in racing a Stocker and that's great! Using what you have always gives you the best bang-for-the-buck.

I still see your Ventura as the way forward for 'ya. Plop on a dash pad, square away the hood, a couple of patch panels for the rear quarters, scarf up some used Cal Tracs and you're darn near there. A basic build 350 with a decent camshaft and you're at the track. Heck, give Mr. Ringer a call...who knows what might be available?

For what it's worth, at one of our Midwest Class Racers Stock/Super Stock events this past season, Tom Lewis came from the last qualifying spot (#43) to win the final round and the $2,000. His opponent in the final was the #1 qualifyer, Rich Muhlenhardt.

If you're out there racin' you're a player. -Al
Old 02-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #214
Dave Gantz

Liked 219 Times in 114 Posts

Oldskool, your profile shows that you haven't been logged in since Jan. 30th. I'll assume you're checking this w/o being logged in.
The stuff that's been written on here, and lots of forums, can seem harsh, but it's only the same ball busting that would go on in person. It's just that with written words, as opposed to spoken, you don't get the entire perspective.
I agree with others, you have really rambled on here, and if you did that where I used to talk racing, you would have gotten the same responses, only with all the laughter and joking included.
Maybe you know all of this, if so, don't mind me. It seems you took the heat.
Ask questions. You do have to pick a car and build it. If you want the cheapest car possible, you'll end up selling your stuff and buying the combo that has the potential to be the cheapest. One of the first rules of class racing is that the car you have isn't usually the best car for what you want to do.
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #215
Jeff Goss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave, I agree.

My comment seemed harsh as well. My only point being that I have spent A LOT of time and money to make my car competitive and Legal. I didn't do all that to go out and run against someone who is knowingly racing a car that is illegal-no matter how small the infraction seems to them.

There are other classes to run, just not Stock and Super Stock.

I fully encourage anyone to build a car and come race.
Jeff Goss is offline   Reply With Quote