HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 01-25-2015, 04:52 AM   #1
Dave Noll

Liked 217 Times in 104 Posts
Default Piston Ring Spacers

Does anybody have part #'s, prices for Available,in stock spacers. I'm not interested in the kind that go behind the rings as I don't have access to a lathe anymore.These would go on the top or bottom of the 1st & 2nd rings. I've been able to find articles & pictures of these things. But never in a catalog with a part # & price. I've seen them .016", .030" & .046". My application is a 4.020 bore.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #2
Lee Valentine

Liked 322 Times in 68 Posts
Default Re: Piston Ring Spacers

In the Total Seal catalog,they probably have an online catalog
Old 01-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,016 Times in 264 Posts

Keith Jones, at Total Seal.

It's called the "Advantage" ring system.

They do not have an online price list.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #4
bob3240

Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Angry Re: Piston Ring Spacers

Akerly&Childs also make them at lower prices. No one makes them for Dykes rings.
bob3240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

I had been exchanging emails with Kieth Jones @ Total Seal about rings. Here is what he told me.

I generally set these hop with a 7-8lb oil (very light).
we can fit them with groove spacers and put a .8mm top & 2nd ring in them. That combo is the best of the best but is also the most expensive.

We did not get to prices yet. But someone told me to plan on a grand or more to get them. Does that sound right? Is it worth it? I need to get back with him on prices. But kind of dropped the ball on my end. So I cant give any info on that myself but would like to hear what others that have bought them have to say. Before I waste any more of his time.
Thanks
Rob
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:36 PM   #6
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

I don't suggest those without a lot of experience, control of their bore finish, and access to a dyno try to use an oil ring with less than 10# of tangential tension, and 12# might be better.

The vast majority of "do it yourself" guys are best served with a 10-12# oil ring and the 1.0MM or so compression rings with spacers, and the "gas ports" on the top ring spacer. Get the Napier cut on the 2nd ring, too.

Given a relatively "common" bore size, you shouldn't need to spend more than $650 or so, maybe a little more.

When you get into the ultra narrow compression rings and ultra light oil rings, one very minor mistake can be catastrophic. Yes, they can be made to fly, if everything is right, but if everything isn't just right, they can be very difficult to deal with.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #7
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Alan, with a 4" bore with a Napier 2nd ring, I have not found more than 7lb oil rings needed. I can tell you 4.5lbs is too light. :-)
Old 01-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #8
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

First off thanks for the advise. I'll save my money for something else. Right now I have the Napier seconds in it. and a 8lb oil ring. Honestly cannot remember what the top ring is without going to the shop and looking in my notes. It does not seem to be having a oil problem. And my leak down numbers are good after just 40 runs. Main reason I'm tearing it apart is because I just kind of did a cheap engine to see if I liked the class racing thing. I like it so far with just one National open, one combo race and a bunch of trips to T&T to sort the car out a little and try some stuff. So I am taking it a little further along this winter. If all goes well I will go some more either during the season or next winter. Who would you recomend I call about the top rings with the gas ports in them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
I don't suggest those without a lot of experience, control of their bore finish, and access to a dyno try to use an oil ring with less than 10# of tangential tension, and 12# might be better.

The vast majority of "do it yourself" guys are best served with a 10-12# oil ring and the 1.0MM or so compression rings with spacers, and the "gas ports" on the top ring spacer. Get the Napier cut on the 2nd ring, too.

Given a relatively "common" bore size, you shouldn't need to spend more than $650 or so, maybe a little more.

When you get into the ultra narrow compression rings and ultra light oil rings, one very minor mistake can be catastrophic. Yes, they can be made to fly, if everything is right, but if everything isn't just right, they can be very difficult to deal with.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:07 PM   #9
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Total Seal has the spacers with the gas ports. Get them from Keith.

If you get by with less than 10#, that's great, don't get me wrong. I just don't suggest it for everyone, simply because not everyone has available to them everything it takes to make it work consistently and reliably.

If you're running Napier cut second rings and 8# tangential tension oil rings, you're not going to gain much more there.

While good leak down numbers are nice, I've seen some stuff that leaked great and ran like crap, and stuff that ran great and leaked like crap. The key is dynamic seal. How much actual blow by exists in the RPM range between peak torque and 200-400 RPM past peak HP?

If you're going to try to run the really narrow rings, you need to have the pistons built with that in mind, and the clearances set for that as well. Have Keith give your piston manufacturer the ring groove dimensions, and make sure everyone agrees on everything, such as your machinist agreeing on the clearance and the finish.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:17 PM   #10
Dave Noll

Liked 217 Times in 104 Posts

650 to 1000 ??? Thais 1/2 to 2/3 of my whole engine. I'm hoping those are the gas ported spacers & not what appeared to be a roll of .016 shim stock. Mine is just a cast flattop 2bbl 351C that so far struggles to 6K. (1.21 2bbl) I was just hoping to get a little thinner ring like my bracket motor had.. (1/16 file fit vs 5/64 non-file) The bracket motor would leak around 8%, the 351C I can hear leaking , @ around 35%.

Edit: But what about leaks like crap & runs the same ?

Last edited by Dave Noll; 01-25-2015 at 10:24 PM. Reason: slow reader
Dave Noll is offline   Reply With Quote