HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 11-03-2020, 01:16 AM   #11
Eman

Liked 104 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: Winters Shifter Adjustment...is killing me!!

Hard to imagine how it can be in the transmission. The distance from the center of the shift shaft to the center of the cable attachment point is the only thing that could or would change anything. I know with B&M shifters they have a lever with a couple of holes according to what shifter you're using.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:36 AM   #12
OkieRocket

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I hear you Eman. Rossler builds probably the best TH400 out there. They are "experts' on this Transmission model-for sure. I also called Carl Rossler and he tried to help me. He said that "nothing" in this area of the TH400 has changed in his many decades of building them. They are good people and very willing to help.
I tried Carl's suggestions (i.e., starting my alignment check in 3rd Gear Position and verifying that my Transmission Lever is oriented correctly). Unfortunately, I only got to the 1st Step...Got 3rd Gear adjusted (by also realizing that the Cable was now too short by 1/2" with the std. Winters Brackets). In order to get the threaded end to be long enough to engage the threaded sleeve for the ball stud on the Lever Arm, I had to relocate the Cable Mount at the Pan 1/2" further forward with a Bracket I had fabricated).
Then, I found that none of the other Positions (2, 1, N, R) would line up.....very frustrating.
I'm pretty sold on the idea that the difference in the travel distances between the Shifter Gates and the Transmission Lever/Arm is where the problem lies. Hope to have some answers from Winters tomorrow.
OkieRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:12 AM   #13
GallopinGhost

Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Sounds like you are narrowing in on the fix. If the lever on the trans is correct, which it sounds like it is, seems like it has to be in the shifter. I wonder if you can take the shifter apart and do some measurments on the shift lever ?

Last edited by GallopinGhost; 11-03-2020 at 09:10 AM.
GallopinGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #14
OkieRocket

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I "hope" I'm getting close Mike....So far, as best I can measure, I'm seeing the most Travel Difference from 3rd to 2nd.
The Transmission Lever Ball Stud is traveling ~ 0.470". The Shifter is Traveling ~0.535"..... A difference of ~0.065".
Hoping to have some "answers" from Winters, when I call them later today.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #15
Signman

Liked 198 Times in 73 Posts

Have an old winters shifter on the shelf for a PG my buddy gave up on the problem was a gate plate was worn. I also had a turbo action shifter at the time building my bracket PG. A lot of the component parts of both shifters look the same. If you would like it for parts it's your for the shipping cost. No cable. By the way the TA shifter is still in that car and is for 3 speed but works fine with PG of course your issue is with high gear.
The gate plate controls shift lever movement at the transmission as you know. With reading this thread you have a gate plate issue which from afar sounds like you have the wrong one or it was made incorrectly for your transmission.
My suggestion is get with someone who has a TA gate plate for your transmission and make a comparison of the slot lengths. Determine if you can swap in the TA plate if it would solve your issue or modify the winters plate to add the necessary travel which am sure you are capable.

In the past when looking at shifters Winters marketed mostly to circle track which use power glides a lot. Correct me if am wrong but they may just not have the gate plate you need.

FWIW I had a TA 3 speed shifter in my stocker for T350 and had an issue with it slipping into high gear if I did not get my hand off it shifting into 2nd. The lateral spring moves over the high gear gate and if there is any pressure moves to engage it. Many don't have this issue but I got tired of wasted runs and resolved it by going to the top of the line Precision Shifter. There are other 3 speed options also that avoid the issue I had.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #16
OkieRocket

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for the great info. Frank. I really appreciate your thoughts. I spoke to Winters and they think it may be an improperly mfd. Gate Plate, or possibly an internal Part issue. They're going to look into it and get back with me...Hopefully soon.
I'm also going to look into the TA Gate Plate you mentioned...might be a good possibility. As you can tell, this situation has been very frustrating, but I'm committed to getting to the bottom of it.
Also, regarding your old Winters Shifter, Thank you!...Do you have an idea of how much Shipping Cost you would need to send it to me in Tuttle, OK 73089?

Old 11-03-2020, 07:31 PM   #17
Signman

Liked 198 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieRocket View Post
Thanks for the great info. Frank. I really appreciate your thoughts. I spoke to Winters and they think it may be an improperly mfd. Gate Plate, or possibly an internal Part issue. They're going to look into it and get back with me...Hopefully soon.
I'm also going to look into the TA Gate Plate you mentioned...might be a good possibility. As you can tell, this situation has been very frustrating, but I'm committed to getting to the bottom of it.
Also, regarding your old Winters Shifter, Thank you!...Do you have an idea of how much Shipping Cost you would need to send it to me in Tuttle, OK 73089?

Will dig it out and let you know. Just moved 200 miles south and unpacking was looking at my PG pile earlier it is in with that stuff. Will PM you a photo and shipping cost.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #18
Project 392

Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts

Something I have run into in the past that I don't see mentioned. Shifter cable HOUSING adjustment between mounting points. Think the dirt bike throttle cable you had as a kid. If the cable has an adjustable end in one bracket, the slack in the inner cable can be taken out. Happened to me on a Fairbanks shifter and one other that I don't remember. FWIW, I start my checking adjustments in 2nd gear (3sp r.m.v.b.) R,N,1st fall on the trans detents and don;t seem to be as critical as 2 and 3. I make sure that 3rd is precise. I have in the past made brackets to bolt to the trans shift arm to move the ball stud up down or sideways. Hope this is of some help.

Victor in Kingman

Last edited by Project 392; 11-03-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Project 392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #19
OkieRocket

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
Will dig it out and let you know. Just moved 200 miles south and unpacking was looking at my PG pile earlier it is in with that stuff. Will PM you a photo and shipping cost.
Sounds great Frank.
Thank you!
Old 11-03-2020, 08:19 PM   #20
OkieRocket

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project 392 View Post
Something I have run into in the past that I don't see mentioned. Shifter cable HOUSING adjustment between mounting points. Think the dirt bike throttle cable you had as a kid. If the cable has an adjustable end in one bracket, the slack in the inner cable can be taken out. Happened to me on a Fairbanks shifter and one other that I don't remember. FWIW, I start my checking adjustments in 2nd gear (3sp r.m.v.b.) R,N,1st fall on the trans detents and don;t seem to be as critical as 2 and 3. I make sure that 3rd is precise. I have in the past made brackets to bolt to the trans shift arm to move the ball stud up down or sideways. Hope this is of some help.
Victor in Kingman
Thanks for the info. Victor....I was wondering if "moving" the Bracket up or down might work, or if it was a big "no no." I appreciate your comments.
Liked