HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 09-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
91trunk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Cool Old School Super Stock pics

Back in the late 50's through the early 70's my Grandfather and Great Uncle owned Stanford Bros. Dodge in Lincoln Park Michigan. Over the years they sponsors a bunch of different cars. My Uncle did a search on Ebay for Stanford Bros and came up with these pictures. It's all the same car, but it's pretty cool since my cousin, Uncle and I all have CJ's that we run (not in Super Stock) with the family's dealership name on the side.

If anyone has pictures of any Stanford Bros. cars or leads please PM me. My Uncle said Autoweek use to take pictures of dealer race cars back then, so if anyone has contacts there I'd love to have more pictures!!!!

Proud owner of FR500CJ #21.
91trunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Old School Super Stock pics

You are correct!
Stanford Bros was one of the supports of Stocker Drag Racing in the late 1959 and early 60's as was
Bielfield Ford
Bob Ford run by the late Paul Harvey
Stark Hickey Ford East
Packer Pontiac
Royal Pontiac
West Born Chrysler Plymouth
Serby Motors
Just some of the dealers from metro Detroit area
BlueOval Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Here's an interesting article from National Dragster reprinted Feb 22 1963...

Winternationals Class Eliminator championship.

LOS ANGELES, Calif. (Feb. 18) -- Top names in the drag racing camp this week are the drivers who have taken their places in the championship spotlight of big-time drag racing after climbing the major-league trail of stiff competition at this year's Winternationals Championship Drag Races, presented February 15, 16 & 17 at the Los Angels County Fairgrounds, in Pomona.These drivers are the drag racing sport's Winter Class and Eliminator Champions who fought their way to victory in one of the largest, most spectacular drag racing events ever presented on the West Coast. Three days of grueling time trials, eliminations and National Record runs produced the Winter Champions, and an event unexcelled in excitement and color.
Hardest-sought titles in the 1963 tournament, Stock Eliminator and upper stock classes, were picked off by Plymouth and Dodge entries. The 426-cubic-inch Super-Stockers, running both stick and automatic transmissions, led the field of strong contenders and took a firm grip on their titles as the sport's front-running Stock class performers.
Al Eckstrand of Grosse Point, Mich., driving a 1963 Dodge, was crowned Mr. Stock Eliminator of the Winternationals after his entry, known as the "Ramcharger," blasted a 12.44 seconds elapsed time at 115.08 mph on the final heat.
Eckstrand, a 30-year-old attorney who has a flourishing law practice in Detroit, was driving a '63 Dodge tudor sedan under sponsorship of the Stanford Bros. Motor Co. of Detroit. His top award, which was sponsored by the Hurst-Campbell Corp. of Glenside, Pa., is a 1963 Honda 110 motorcycle, in addition to the gleaming Stock Eliminator trophy, presented through the courtesy of Autolite Division, Ford Motor Co.
Plymouth Super Stock entries took top class honors, winning both S/S and S/SA crowns. Bill Hanyon of Glendora, Calif., driving a Milne Brothers 1962 Plymouth Super Stock, captured the Super-stock-automatic class with a 12.30 e.t. and top speed of 115.38 mph. Hanyon's car is sponsored by Milne Bros., Plymouth-Valiant dealers in Pasadena, Calif.
Making a clean S/S-class sweep for Plymouth was Tom Grove of Oakland, Calif., who drove his 1963 "Melrose Missile" Plymouth to a 12.37 seconds e.t. and top speed of 114.94 mph to clinch the stick title. The Melrose car is sponsored by Melrose Motors, Chrysler-Plymouth dealer in Oakland, Calif.
Plymouth missed by inches complete domination of the stock car division when Bill Shirey of Dearborn, Mich., in his Golden Commando Plymouth lost the Stock Eliminator title to Al Eckstrand's Dodge. Only inches apart at the finish line, the closeness of this contest, as was the case with nearly every race during the stock car eliminations at the "Big Go West," was borne out by the fact that the cars recorded identical elapsed times on the run. Both were officially clocked at 12.44 seconds, with Eckstrand's car posting the 115.08 mph win-speed.
On through the classes, into A- and B-stock, where Chevy and Ford were in the winners' circle to collect Winter Class Champion awards. Dave Strickler, who journeyed from York, Pa., with his "Old Reliable" '63 Chevy, won A/S with a 12.38 e.t. at 115.68 mph. And, in B-stock, it was Ed Terry, Hayward, Calif. driving a '62 Ford, who bounced out all choosers for the glitter. Terry waltzed his front-running Ford to a 13.28 e.t. at 108.04 mph for the class honors.
In the Top Gas Eliminator duels, where a premium field of AA-dragsters were vieing for the Winter Mr. Eliminator crown, blazing action and a series of close heats ended when John Peters of Los Angeles, driving the Peters-Frank twin Chevys AA-dragster, downed popular Connie Kalitta for the crown.
A newcomer to Nationals competition, Peters was acclaimed as being one of the "Big Go West's" best drivers and the car, a super-tuned rail that performed in flawless form. Peters coaxed the in-line dual-Chevy rig to an 8.82 seconds e.t. victory, buzzing 178.21 mph through the traps for Top Eliminator, and recorded top speed and low elapsed time of the meet [gas] with an 8.36 seconds elapsed time, 185.18 mph speed.
In Top Fuel Eliminator competition, veteran driver Don Garlits of Tampa, Fla., was "big gun," taking the honors in his Dodge AA/FD with a low 8.26 e.t., 186.32 mph. Don also had low e.t. of the meet [fuel] with an 8.11 seconds, while the Weekly-River-Fox-Holding AA/FD, Chrysler powered, managed a top speed of the meet blast of 188.66 mph.
Competition Eliminator laurels fell to Tony Nancy of Sherman Oaks, Calif., who was driving his Dodge-powered AA/C roadster. A 9.62 seconds e.t. at 152.68 mph earned Tony's beautiful roadster the win over Jerry Hardick of Phoenix, Ariz.
In Middle Eliminator competition a familiar name appeared on the winners' list; Doug "Cookie" Cook of Paramount, Calif. After winning A/GS class, "Cookie" pushed the Stone-Woods-Cook Olds-powered Willys to a 10.02 seconds, 139.96 mph to defeat Jim Dunn, La Mirada, Calif., for Autolite's Middle Eliminator award.
In Junior Eliminator, Hugh Tucker drove the Tucker-Stoll Olds-powered AA-street roadster to victory over Bob Culbert's pert Merc powered A/A. Hugh managed a 10.30 e.t. at 138.24 mph on the victory run.
Dick Bourgeois of Baldwin Park, Calif., who drove and tuned many cars entered in the '63 Winternationals, pushed his Chevy-equipped A-gasser to Little Eliminator, as well as class, using an 11.35 e.t., 124.30 mph to down Chuck Smith's roadster out of Oklahoma City, Okla.
More than 6500 timed runs were recorded during the Winternationals, presented by National Hot Rod Association. The complete story and photo coverage of the event will be carried in the next issue of National DRAGSTER, following certification of all Class and Eliminator winners' cars.

http://www.nhra.net/50th/news/index.html?story=31
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Old 09-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
91trunk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Thanks Hemi Moose. We are now a Blue Oval family, but I've always loved the Mopars of the past. Someday I'd love to have a replica of one the old Stanford Bros. cars.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

No problem, I was also wondering if you would happen to have anymore other 'old pics' of the various models sold & raced from that dealership that you wouldn't mind sharing on here.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
91trunk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Moose View Post
No problem, I was also wondering if you would happen to have anymore other 'old pics' of the various models sold & raced from that dealership that you wouldn't mind sharing on here.
My Uncle has most of that stuff. I'll have to get with him and get some pictures take of what he has.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Old 07-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
james ludera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Old School Super Stock pics

Hi Guys , my name is Jim Ludera ,I live in Bradenton Fla.and I have a 65 coronet that was sold by the Stanford Brothers ,the story I got was the car was sold with a 426 hemi ,any chance any paper work still around ? My E-mail is , hemiman70@aol.com
james ludera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wink Re: Old School Super Stock pics

You might want to check out the "A990 Super Stockers" thread here in the Nostalgia section, if you haven't already done it. With over 45 pages of info, there might be something in there to help you out. Good luck.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote