ID:	69517  
GTS340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 05:29 PM   #12
Cglrcng

Liked 109 Times in 50 Posts
Default Re: U/SA Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland View Post
Integrity never changes. When we stop valuing what is good, good becomes rare and we all suffer.
Absolutely Dwight, Integrity is really defined as "What we do, when we know nobody is looking over our shoulders, but eventually will be looking at our work product!" You either have it, or you don't!

You either sleep well, or you don't. I sleep very well, as I went recently through a bumper to bumper 1st rebuild of my turtle of a class racing combo. The first since it rolled off the assembly line in December of 1984, and I asked a lot of seemingly really stupid questions of NHRA Tech, sent my head from N.W. AZ to Peachtree, GA with explicit instructions of what to do, and in bold print (along with the printed rules Section), exactly what not to do, fir it's very first cut, and machining, they had questions, and I got answers in writing clarifying before work began, then I inspected, and verified everything 3 times upon receiving it back, long before bolting it back onto the completed short block that was done locally that I completed once the new pistons and rings, balance job, etc. was completed, that I also inspected fully so I knew that everything was correct.

Assembly, and install was done by me personally know that someday sooner than later, someone will say "report to the barn", it's your turn...So, I took the time, assembled all the needed tools (that remained out on my work tables for 18 full months in my garage (if I used them, nothing went back into the tool chests), and in my spares boxes, certain tools can be found right with my checking tools/materials, for the teardown and reassembly stuff. (Pre-made a teardown/reassembly list, and proceeded to pack those together in a single tub & made up stupid stuff like header wire hangers, so they can hang on the firewall while head & or block of necessary are out, just making reassembly faster and smoother later.

When that time comes I will smile awaiting the "you are legal", and you can now put it back together statement without surprises.

Integrity is easier than the alternative.

Now, Section 11A Stock, Transmission section or any other section there pertaining to the STK Elim. Class...I have a 20 dollar bill to the first person that can find and point out the following: "Aftermarket Shifters are permitted."

You won't find it, it isn't there, you will find everything else pertaining to what is necessary, but you will not find that simple statement and most Stock Elim. Cars have an aftermarket shifter installed in it, including mine now.

I waited, I asked twice, and twice got zero answers. Book says if it does not say "permitted" that you must ask permission. Some questions seem stupid, but they are not.

My particular (car/engine family), combo has 6HP factor applied to it back onJune 2, 2003, and I have not been able to find out why, have asked numerous times, last been told it was a moot question,, that I am not entitled to the answer.. I have another $20 bucks to anyone that has a June or July or August copy of National Dragster and can find out the exact combo that caused the HP factoring of my combo and can just copy it for me please, since NHRA flat out refuses to give me a simple real life answer (otherwise, since nobody else has ever raced my particular oddball slow combo), it sure looks hinky to me, and it has a real life 150 lb penalty that only I in my class has to carry currently.

When a simple question has no simple verifyable answer, rest assured somebody pulled it out of their a**, and avoidance is the first clue. integrity is simply a 2 way street is all I am saying here. I am only interested in the truth, and if someone can please find it for me, I would be highly appreciative and acceptance would be instant, but without proof, acceptance is very hard to accept with every trip to the scales, and every pass I struggle with carrying that 150 extra lbs down the quarter mile if unnecessary with 1 of the lowest HP combos that exists in the class.

I won't even get into the fact that the guide advertised shipping wt. does not match the Car Manufacturers own origiinal 1984 published model brochure th!t I currently have in my lap while i type this posting, and that fact adds another more than 3 pecent weight penalty.

If it sounds like I am complaining it is because I am, because I find zero integrity where I find zero answers to very simple questions that should have very simple answers.

The cash goes to anyone willing to help.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:45 PM   #13
Cglrcng

Liked 109 Times in 50 Posts

[QUOTE=GTS340;696140]I hate to admit I have been working harder on this car than most trying to locate the switch that reels in the achor.Busting my chops for sure. I just want to torture some low 9 second competitors.

I
t is fun isn't it Paul, and you were by far not the slowest my friend, as I was. And will be again in less than 2 days.

Dancing with fast company on the big end (at least when the lights are green), is almost as much fun as sex!) At least at my age!
Old 04-16-2024, 06:40 PM   #14
GTS340

Liked 1,069 Times in 334 Posts

Fun just to be able to compete at our age. After losing to Don Keen first round. We had a good laugh. The Valiant of Paul's, that I'm borrowing is normally a stick car. I looked over at Don and knew I had him. I slammed on the clutch pedal as hard as I could. What can I do but chuckle.

Paul
Old 04-16-2024, 07:03 PM   #15
GTS340

Liked 1,069 Times in 334 Posts

You probably won't find any muncie shifters on a Jerico Gary. That one might go under common sense.

Paul