HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #1
Greg Gay

Liked 218 Times in 48 Posts
Default Annoyance at the Keystones

I didn’t mind sitting in my van in a hayfield in the rain for two days; no one can control the weather. And I didn’t mind that the NHRA chose to lead off on Saturday with the Pro’s; they are the primary reason that the spectators are there. I didn’t even mind waiting until Monday to complete the race. But what really annoys me is paying someone a dollar to hand me a paper towel each time that I go to the bathroom. The first time that I ever saw this was at Englishtown, but it seems to have spread, like the plague, to Atco, Maple Grove, and Cecil County, I believe.

Now, I’ve been to upscale motels where the maitre D hands you a towel, but they were never looking for a tip. And I know that half of the racers today have motor homes and can escape this nuisance. But if NHRA’s true customers are the spectators, then why allow them to be subject to this fleecing? Wouldn’t it be better for the tracks to have their own personnel to take care of the bathrooms, and pay them to do so? If 15,000 people really show up for one of these races, and each pays just a quarter, there’s almost an additional $4000 being coerced from your customers.
Maybe I’m just too cheap, but for spending 5 days at Maple Grove, this is what annoyed me the most. And it annoys me every time I see it at other tracks, too.

Greg
Greg Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:10 AM   #2
Superfan1
VIP Member

Liked 2,344 Times in 409 Posts
Smile Re: Annoyance at the Keystones

Greg, I don't tip them anything; at Maple Grove, E-town, or anywhere else. Just because there is a container for tips, doesn't make it mandatory to put something in it.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Default Re: Annoyance at the Keystones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gay View Post
I didn’t mind sitting in my van in a hayfield in the rain for two days; no one can control the weather. And I didn’t mind that the NHRA chose to lead off on Saturday with the Pro’s; they are the primary reason that the spectators are there. I didn’t even mind waiting until Monday to complete the race. But what really annoys me is paying someone a dollar to hand me a paper towel each time that I go to the bathroom. The first time that I ever saw this was at Englishtown, but it seems to have spread, like the plague, to Atco, Maple Grove, and Cecil County, I believe.

Now, I’ve been to upscale motels where the maitre D hands you a towel, but they were never looking for a tip. And I know that half of the racers today have motor homes and can escape this nuisance. But if NHRA’s true customers are the spectators, then why allow them to be subject to this fleecing? Wouldn’t it be better for the tracks to have their own personnel to take care of the bathrooms, and pay them to do so? If 15,000 people really show up for one of these races, and each pays just a quarter, there’s almost an additional $4000 being coerced from your customers.
Maybe I’m just too cheap, but for spending 5 days at Maple Grove, this is what annoyed me the most. And it annoys me every time I see it at other tracks, too.

Greg
This is next!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dispenser.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	31522  
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts

I think it's more of a "Northeast" thing rather than NHRA. They do that at the bigger events at Budds Creek, MD as well, an IHRA track.

We are already paying good money to be there to race. But it seems like EVERYBODY is trying to find little "add-ons" to charge, like phone companies, airlines and more. There was a Choice Hotel near Dinwiddie that had a hidden fee for "toiletries" - soap, shampoo, etc. Stuff that's expected to be part of the advertised rates. When I wrote the company, I got a form letter back saying that some hotels are privately owned, they can't control what the charge, blah, blah, blah!
Old 10-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
dartman

Liked 68 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
This is next!!!
I would be happy to pay $1 to go in a clean $.hiter. but that's just me.
dartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #6
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Angry Re: Annoyance at the Keystones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartman View Post
I would be happy to pay $1 to go in a clean $.hiter. but that's just me.
Is it really too much to ask to expect a clean "$.hiter" to use when you pay anywhere from $250 - $350 to enter a race without having to pay extra? No wonder they can't get any spectators! Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #7
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
Is it really too much to ask to expect a clean "$.hiter" to use when you pay anywhere from $250 - $350 to enter a race without having to pay extra? No wonder they can't get any spectators! Jim

Jim,

You hit the nail right on the head. Most tracks facilities are dirty and gross. There is no excuse for the restroom facilities to be run down and dirty. It sure doesn't help to get spectators in the stands.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:33 PM   #8
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 778 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gay View Post

Greg
x2
Old 10-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #9
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

That's been going on for a long time and yes it's annoying.

It's a race track, not the Four Seasons.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:50 PM   #10
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

One more thing. The bathrooms are disgusting at most tracks in D1. Most of the time you have to deal with port a potties that even worse. It's bad enough that money spent for a points meet doesn't include clean bathrooms. To have disgusting bathrooms at a national event is over the top.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote