HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-01-2015, 03:14 AM   #1
BowTieBill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Open trailer for the kids out there

I have recently retired and will have the time to play with cars again! I remember when I was a kid the thrill I got when I would see a car on a trailer. There was several dirt track cars and 5-6 drag cars and my heart would jump every time I saw one go by. I want to use an open trailer just to pass that feeling on to other kids but want a work space as well. My two thought right now are a small school bus and trailer, an old U-haul truck and trailer, or convert a full size school bus to dual use hauler/camper. Anyone else use open trailers by choice or am I the only nut that does.

Bill
BowTieBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #2
Cdncarnut

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
Default Re: Open trailer for the kids out there

I use an open trailer, but not by choice.
My options were to jump on the chance to buy the Stocker I wanted and was up for sale now, or to buy an enclosed trailer for my Bracket car and wait for another Stocker to come up.

To say that I get a lot of attention towing to the track, would be an understatement.

The advantages of an open trailer are that it is light, tows easy, it is cheap and it fits in the garage with the car on it.
The disadvantages are that, if it rains, your car gets wet and dirty on the way to the track, no security for your car and all your support equipment.

As much as I enjoy the ease of towing with the open trailer, I am doing all I can to get into something enclosed for next season.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

I can see where a race car on an open trailer would get a lot more attention now because not as many racers do it.

When I was growing up and getting interested in race cars, it was a thrill to see a class car on a ramp truck or trailer.
Something about those cars really got me hooked on race cars that looked like production cars. ( thus I never got the F/C or T/F bug)
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Brian Thompson hauls a 30 foot open trailer with two Fox Mustangs behind an F 250 or 350 with a sleep-in style camper. Brian Seaberg has a similar rig for his Comet U/SA. They both pulled from Washington State to Brainard Minnesota and Seaberg towed to Vegas for a class win.

I saw a guy at the track with a Nova stuffed in what looked like a converted Snap-On truck.

When I first got interested in the drags in the 60s open trailers were the norm.

As for myself, the racer in my avatar is street legal and serves as it's own tow vehicle. The trailer in the background is my sleeper and support package. Works for me.

Dale
Old 12-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
Philip Saran

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

If you go with a 18 or 20 ft open trailer then you have enough room for a storage
box (big) on the front end to lock up tools etc.. then you can pull it with a choice
of vehicles (RV, truck/camper, big SUV).

Back in SOCAL I had a 18 ft. dove tail open steel deck trailer with a storage box
on the front that held two Honda 2000i generators, 5 gallon gas can, floor jack
and jack stands plus tools. I towed it with a Ford F350 diesel 4x4 with a 10 ft.
cab over camper. It worked well for my needs.

Towed my unfinished 1974 Duster 383/auto and even towed Mike Loge's Cuda
stocker to the races once or twice.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #6
D Styron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I loved hauling with my open trailer. That was until coming my return trip from Dallas to Houston i encountered a big storm and put about 25 golf ball size dents from hail. Now I only use the open trailer for local races I know the weather will be nice.
D Styron is offline   Reply With Quote